Vulnerable Road Furniture

Old December 17th 03, 02:06 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Vulnerable Road Furniture

New solution to traffic deaths: blame the streetlights.

Bendy cyclists, anyone?

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old December 17th 03, 03:02 PM
[Not Responding]

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:31:10 GMT, Trevor Barton
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:06:46 -0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
New solution to traffic deaths: blame the streetlights.

Bendy cyclists, anyone?

Duh. Anyone knows they bend already, so don't present much of a
danger to proper road users.

bend? i think you'll find they break. fortunate as it prevents
otherwise expensive damage to motor vehicles.

cyclists = cheap, sacrificial, traffic calming.

Old December 17th 03, 06:11 PM
David Hansen

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 14:06:46 -0000 someone who may be "Just zis Guy,
you know?" wrote this:-

New solution to traffic deaths: blame the streetlights.

I found two things interesting.

"At the same time, it does not allowed the vehicle
itself to transgress into pedestrians."

Personally I think a solid concrete post is the best way of not
allowing a motor vehicle to transgress into pedestrians. After all I
have never seen a lamp post leap out into the middle of the road in
front of a poor innocent salt of the earth government victimised
motorist.

"We've had four crashes already on the roadside involving
our lighting columns, and I'm pleased to say no major
injuries - including one crash, which was at 90 miles
an hour," he stated.

He is encouraging illegality, like some other manufacturers of
"safety" equipment.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
Old December 17th 03, 06:28 PM
Peter B

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
New solution to traffic deaths: blame the streetlights.

Streetlights were blamed for a death on our street.
An elderly woman stepped out between the parked cars cluttering the
kerbsides to cross the road and was struck by a motorcycle.
The Coroner blamed the poor streetlighting!
Apart from the fact the lights are pretty good for a residential suburban
road IMO, using the Coroners logic if there were no lights at all crossing
the road would be pretty near impossible because of the risk it imposed.

Pete

Old December 18th 03, 10:18 AM
Steve R.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote in message ...
New solution to traffic deaths: blame the streetlights.

Quote from the page ...
"The actual vehicle will ride up along the length of the column"

So the column bends to 30 degrees as it stops on a van roof nearby, launching
the speeding car 30 feet into the air at 60mph. Hmmm ... Saving lives !!
Watch out for the flying car !!

Steve :~(

Old December 18th 03, 10:35 AM
Ian

Steve R. scribed with passion and wit:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote in message ...
New solution to traffic deaths: blame the streetlights.

Quote from the page ...
" ride up along the length of the column"

FNAR, FNAR

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old December 18th 03, 10:40 AM
Kit

know?" wrote this:-

New solution to traffic deaths: blame the streetlights.

I found two things interesting.

"At the same time, it does not allowed the vehicle itself to transgress
into pedestrians."

Personally I think a solid concrete post is the best way of not allowing
a motor vehicle to transgress into pedestrians. After all I have never
seen a lamp post leap out into the middle of the road in front of a poor
innocent salt of the earth government victimised motorist.

A friend really was hit by a regular-type streetlamp that jumped out at
him. He was walking responsibly along the pavement when a taxi hit the
lamp-post, which fell on my friend and broke his hip.

"We've had four crashes already on the roadside involving our lighting
columns, and I'm pleased to say no major injuries - including one crash,
which was at 90 miles an hour," he stated.

He is encouraging illegality, like some other manufacturers of "safety"
equipment.

All ye who have never fallen off your bike on gravel or ice... I can't see
the introduction of safer streetlights and urban-speed cameras as being
anything but positive.
Old December 18th 03, 10:58 AM
Helen Deborah Vecht

David Hansen typed

Personally I think a solid concrete post is the best way of not
allowing a motor vehicle to transgress into pedestrians. After all I
have never seen a lamp post leap out into the middle of the road in
front of a poor innocent salt of the earth government victimised
motorist.

Yebbut I've heard of trees at crash sites being referred to as 'aggressive'...

I presume this is because they jumped out at the poor, hapless victim!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old December 18th 03, 01:10 PM
Peter Clinch

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Yebbut I've heard of trees at crash sites being referred to as 'aggressive'...

I presume this is because they jumped out at the poor, hapless victim!

You could be forgiven for thinking that when you look through the
occasional releases of insurance claim foolishness...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old December 18th 03, 01:39 PM
David Hansen

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:40:56 +0000 someone who may be "Kit"
wrote this:-

A friend really was hit by a regular-type streetlamp that jumped out at
him. He was walking responsibly along the pavement

How does one walk responsibly?

when a taxi hit the
lamp-post, which fell on my friend and broke his hip.

He could have been hit by the taxi.

I can't see
the introduction of safer streetlights and urban-speed cameras as being
anything but positive.

Two very different things. The former is at best reducing the
consequences of a crash, the latter is reducing the likelyhood of a
crash.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.