A great morning ride!

Old April 16th 05, 06:04 PM
Ken

Default A great morning ride!

Yes it was! The sun was shining bright, it was warm, not hot, sky was deep
blue and just a slight breeze. I still need to attach a water bottle to my
frame to extend my rides. Without water I can only ride for about an hour to
and hour and fifteen minutes. But anyway it was a great ride, I passed
several others who must have thought the same thing. I guy, I see him almost
everyday, passed me going in the other direction, I waved, he waved back.
Then a few minutes later, I got passed by yet another guy that I see not as
often but every once and a while. While he was riding past me I checked out
his bike, like I do if I have the chance, he was riding a *Trek* hybrid, it
had bars that kind of curved upwards slightly and what looked like street
tires rather than *off road* tires, and a nice looking pannier rack on the
back end. A nice ride, or that is what I thought as he cycled past me on my
*OLD* Western Flyer! Then I though what difference does the bike really
make? Just ride and enjoy! By this time he was well past me on the road
ahead. That's it I thought, I need to ride more! When I arrived home and
wiped my brow, I thought to myself, *Good ride*!!

Ken
--
Remove "-dispose-trash" for email address
My personal webstie: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old April 16th 05, 08:08 PM
Peter Cole

Ken wrote:

. Without water I can only ride for about an hour to
and hour and fifteen minutes.

Do you have a medical problem?

Old April 16th 05, 08:39 PM
SlowRider

Ken wrote:
Yes it was! The sun was shining bright, it was warm, not hot, sky was

deep
blue and just a slight breeze. I still need to attach a water bottle

to my

Right back at ya! I had to take a break for a few days due to a spring
bug of some kind (and then work schedule) and couldn't really ride for
almost a week. Finally got out there today (sunny, should top 70
later) and it was wunnnderful! I still had to take it easy to make
sure I've recovered fully, but it was so nice to see the sun and feel
the breeze again.

Can't wait for tomorrow...!

-JR

Old April 16th 05, 09:14 PM
Rich

Ken wrote:

I still need to attach a water bottle to my
frame to extend my rides. Without water I can only ride for about an hour to
and hour and fifteen minutes.

I don't recall ever riding an hour without water. Bottles and cages are
cheap, I'd recommend getting one ASAP.
Old April 16th 05, 09:18 PM
Ken

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken wrote:

. Without water I can only ride for about an hour to
and hour and fifteen minutes.

Do you have a medical problem?

No but due to the typical heat and humidity of south Florida, I sweat a lot
and don't want to go into dehydration!
Ken

Old April 16th 05, 10:00 PM
Peter Cole

Ken wrote:
"Peter Cole" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken wrote:

. Without water I can only ride for about an hour to
and hour and fifteen minutes.

Do you have a medical problem?

No but due to the typical heat and humidity of south Florida, I sweat

a lot
and don't want to go into dehydration!

OK, Florida, that's different...

If you're going to exercise in those conditions you should learn how
much fluid your body needs and how to recognize when you're getting
low. Normally, you can drop 3% or so of body weight before things start
to get serious, so @ 150 lb, that's 4.5 lb, or around 2 liters. Most
people sweating hard lose about 1 liter/hr, but it varies. No stores?
(that's the easy way)

Old April 16th 05, 11:16 PM
bbaka

Peter Cole wrote:
Ken wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
groups.com...

Ken wrote:

. Without water I can only ride for about an hour to
and hour and fifteen minutes.

Do you have a medical problem?

No but due to the typical heat and humidity of south Florida, I sweat

a lot

and don't want to go into dehydration!

OK, Florida, that's different...

If you're going to exercise in those conditions you should learn how
much fluid your body needs and how to recognize when you're getting
low. Normally, you can drop 3% or so of body weight before things start
to get serious, so @ 150 lb, that's 4.5 lb, or around 2 liters. Most
people sweating hard lose about 1 liter/hr, but it varies. No stores?
(that's the easy way)

I use a slight variation of that theme by weighing myself before and
after a ride. If I come in 4 or 5 pounds lighter then I know I had
better take and drink more water/V-8/Orange juice before and during the
ride. 100 degree days are common in California's central valley. As for
sweating hard the worst time I ever had was mowing a large thick lawn
that died every time it saw grass. Most of the sweat was from restarting
the thing by pulling the cord about 20 times. I think I dropped almost 5
pounds from my 155 normal in about an hour.
One more sign to look for is if you sit down and then stand up suddenly
and see stars that means your blood pressure is going down from lack of
fluid. That is a pretty dead giveaway that you need some more water.

For long rides put water bottle cages everywhere they will fit and fill
them with V-8, Gatorade, Orange juice, or whatever you prefer but do
have water with you. My bike has four now, two in the normal places and
one on each front fork, held by auto heater hose clamps. It may look
strange but that gives me 96 Oz. of fluid without a heavy camelback or
backpack. I am thinking of adding two more on the rear support rails for
144 Oz. total, and keeping dry food in the backpack. Ex Boy scout,
sometimes overly prepared.

Bill Baka
Old April 17th 05, 12:31 PM
Ken

"bbaka" wrote in message
Peter Cole wrote:
Ken wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
groups.com...

For long rides put water bottle cages everywhere they will fit and fill
them with V-8, Gatorade, Orange juice, or whatever you prefer but do
have water with you. My bike has four now, two in the normal places and
one on each front fork, held by auto heater hose clamps. It may look
strange but that gives me 96 Oz. of fluid without a heavy camelback or
backpack. I am thinking of adding two more on the rear support rails for
144 Oz. total, and keeping dry food in the backpack. Ex Boy scout,
sometimes overly prepared.

Bill Baka

LOL yeah thats it! I mean about the old heater hose clamp trick! My old
frame doesn't have *ANY* braze on's which is why I don't have a cage and
bottle yet. I was thinking the hose clamps would work just fine, and I was
thinking of putting a piece of old inner tube between the cage and the frame
for a little extra grip.

Ken

Old April 17th 05, 03:26 PM
Rich

Ken wrote:
"bbaka" wrote in message

Peter Cole wrote:

Ken wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

Camelbacks work fairly well and are easy to get to while riding.

Old April 17th 05, 04:28 PM
Ken

"Rich" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
"bbaka" wrote in message

Peter Cole wrote:

Ken wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

Yeah I have seen the Camelbacks, I haven't had the chance to try one myself
but they look like they would be pretty good for touring.
Ken