ER: XTR M960 rapid rise

Old July 19th 03, 01:05 AM
bruce edge

Default ER: XTR M960 rapid rise

I usually opt for cheaper components that I can break and not care, but I
needed one, the price wasn't too bad, and I had some space change.

You quickly learn the difference between a conscious shift and a reflex
shift. For the first hour, the reflex ones go the wrong way.
I barney'd up half a dozen stream bed climbouts cuz I was shifting the
wrong way. Kinda stops you dead when you realize you don't have the 460
ft/lbs you'd need to turn the cranks in the gear you just picked.

Once that's sorted itself out, it's an beautiful device. I'm coming from
a beater XT with a bent hangar and twisted chain, so it was a big change :-)

It shifts beautifully. I found myself shifting more often as downshifts
were so much faster and more predictable.
I was worried that dropping many gears at once would take longer
as you have to hit the lever once/gear. Turns out you can click it
down very rapidly.
I also liked being able to grab 4 bigger gears with one thumb mash.

I guess the rapid rise thing really is a personal preference, but I
definitely liked it.

$103 at wheelworld, which is not bad considering non rapid rise on ebay
usually go for $70+ and most other shops are asking $163.

-Bruce.