Can you learn without help?

Old February 5th 04, 02:50 AM
newtouni

Default Can you learn without help?

I would like to give the uni a try.

All the FAQs suggest that the best way to learn is with help from others
for balance, etc.

It will be pretty hard for me to find that in my remote area.

My question:

Is it possible to (or likely) that I could learn all by myself?

What would be a suggested method?

Thanks.
New to Uni
BFE, Texas

--
newtouni
newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465

Old February 5th 04, 02:56 AM
Sofa

I had absolutely no help what so ever, internet, others, nothing.

It only took 10 hours, but with all the help that is available, it'll
probably take you even less.

Simple trial and error, you soon to realize why you fell off, if not
neccassarily how to prevent it. But it all comes together nicely.

Give yourself about an hour or so each time, enough to get on a roll,
but not really enough time to become frustrated.

Try to learn without the assistance of leaning on anything, you will
become a much better rider much faster than if you lean on something to
get you going.

Keep at it, and post back here with your progress, or to ask any
specific advice.

We've all been there!

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

(I grew weary of Gary already, sorry everyone )
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old February 5th 04, 02:58 AM
zod

I also learned 110% on my own......
Just try it for a good 15 hours and the next thing you know you'll be
riding.....

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

Old February 5th 04, 03:00 AM
onefiftyfour

you just need the help of a wall or a fence.

where do you live in TX?

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old February 5th 04, 03:01 AM
daino149

I learned having never seen a unicycle prior to the one I bought and
having never seen one being ridden (except on tv). Alls it took was one
week of trying one hour a day.

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old February 5th 04, 03:07 AM
andrew_carter

As you can see, lots of people here learned without help. Klaas Bil and
I havewritten a little instructional thing on how to unicycle. It
covers riding, idling, freemounting, turning, and some other things that
I've forgotten about. If you want a copy tell me your email address and
I'll send you one.

Good luck,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!

Old February 5th 04, 03:40 AM
Rayden

http://www.unicycle.or.kr/movie/mount/11.mpg

That's what you should do.

I also never saw anyone ride it in person, cept maybe at the country
fair... don't remember. A week or two of practicing every chance I could
and I was riding.

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Old February 5th 04, 03:46 AM
bugman

I learned w/o anyone around. It can be done.

BFE, Texas?

EBF, Texas I have heard of. If your in east bumble that would explain
why nobody is around to help you learn.

--
bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

Do you know that sensation you feel leaning back in a chair just before
you fall over? I feel that way pretty much all the time.

Old February 5th 04, 03:47 AM
chirokid

Welcome to the world of one wheels "NewtoUni". Like the others above, I
also leaned totally by myself. Eventhough it was 33 years ago, I
remember it as yesterday. Now all three of my daughters ride too (but
I helped them learn).

Practice is all it takes. I did not use any walls or supports. I had a
5" tall wooden box that was turned up-side down. I would stand on the
box, and place a foot on the back pedal. Then I would just step up with
the other foot and ATTEMPT to ride. I did this 100's of times per/day.
The box prevented the unicycle from going backward, a definate plus for
learning. As the days progressed, I would ride further and further. I
feel that learning like this manner takes longer, but also results in a
smoother and more stable rider than those who learn with support. This
is just my opinion.

Have fun learning. Hope to meet you one day at a Muni fun ride.
--chirokid--

--
chirokid

I am the proud NEW owner of SuperSHJag29er!!!
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old February 5th 04, 03:52 AM
daino149

Personally, I didn't like learning against a wall. I felt I was
depending on the wall too much. Instead, I used a pole to establish my
balance and would try to ride away from it. It took a while to get more
then one pedal stroke away, but I think I learned faster this way then I
would have if I used a wall.

Just a thought.
Daniel