Dahon Bikes Again and New Commuting Crisis

Old October 25th 04, 07:54 PM
Jym Dyer

Dallas, for example, ...

=v= We were talking about cities with commuter rail and
bikestations. If you want to completely change the subject,
at least change the "Subject:" -- and as Dallas is not in
the UK, you might want to change "Newsgroups:" accordingly.
_Jym_

Old October 25th 04, 08:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Pat ')
wrote:

Dallas, for example, is spread out over
many miles. That made it more difficult for bicycle commuting and
easier for automobile commuting.

Chicken, meet egg. Egg, meet chicken. I'm sure you two will get along
just fine.

Simon, thinking there must be something odd in the Texas gene pool.

[ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

Old October 25th 04, 09:34 PM
Pat

"Jym Dyer" wrote in message
: Dallas, for example, ...
:
: =v= We were talking about cities with commuter rail and
: bikestations. If you want to completely change the subject,
: at least change the "Subject:" -- and as Dallas is not in
: the UK, you might want to change "Newsgroups:" accordingly.
: _Jym_

I was responding to her jab at America. And, YOU might want to take a look
at the newsgroups she posted to.

Pat in TX

Old October 25th 04, 09:35 PM
Pat

: : This works best if you've got a bikestation at *every* train
: : stop, not just a handful of them, and unfortunately the U.S.
: : doesn't make biking *or* rail much of a priority.
: :
: :
: : Yeah well, it's against the Amercan Way, ain't it?
: :
: : Futzin Commie! ;°
: :
: : EFR
: : Ile de France
:
: No, it's not "against the American Way". It's just that this country
grew
: in a different way from Europe. The cities are structured differently,
: except for the port cities. Dallas, for example, is spread out over
many
: miles. That made it more difficult for bicycle commuting and easier for
: automobile commuting. Throw in the summer heat and strong winds into
that
: equation, too. If you work 25 miles from where you live, that tends to
make
: it difficult for bicycle commuting. Let's don't get started on blaming
: entire populations or using generalities based on country, shall we?
:
: Pat in TX
:
: Mm, Pat? It looked to me like she was just making fun of
: the stereotype...
:
: -km

It looked to me like she was saying something sharp and then trying to take
some of the sting out with a smiley face.

Pat in TX

Old October 26th 04, 03:00 PM
dgk

On 25 Oct 2004 11:54:45 -0700, Jym Dyer wrote:

Dallas, for example, ...

=v= We were talking about cities with commuter rail and
bikestations. If you want to completely change the subject,
at least change the "Subject:" -- and as Dallas is not in
the UK, you might want to change "Newsgroups:" accordingly.
_Jym_

You MUST have a Dallas in the UK. All of our (US) cities are named
after cities in England. Oh, then it would be NewDallas wouldn't it?
Never mind.
Old October 26th 04, 03:07 PM
Dave Larrington

dgk wrote:

You MUST have a Dallas in the UK. All of our (US) cities are named
after cities in England. Oh, then it would be NewDallas wouldn't it?
Never mind.

We have. In Hairy McScotland. Nearest biggish place Elgin.

It worries me that I possess this information.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old October 26th 04, 03:28 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Simon Brooke wrote:

Chicken, meet egg. Egg, meet chicken. I'm sure you two will get along
just fine.

Since it has reached the point that many communities do not even have
sidewalks for pedestrians, let alone cyclable routes, I do think there is
a vicious circle in operation. You get urbanization based on the car, and
then you end up making it impossible to live any other way. And then you
get the SUV lobbies and the oil addiction and the irreversible need to
consume so much that there would have to be 9 planets to make it
sustainable.

EFR
Ile de France

Old October 26th 04, 04:41 PM
Pat

: Simon Brooke wrote:
:
: Chicken, meet egg. Egg, meet chicken. I'm sure you two will get along
: just fine.
:
: Since it has reached the point that many communities do not even have
: sidewalks for pedestrians, let alone cyclable routes, I do think there is
: a vicious circle in operation. You get urbanization based on the car, and
: then you end up making it impossible to live any other way. And then you
: get the SUV lobbies and the oil addiction and the irreversible need to
: consume so much that there would have to be 9 planets to make it
: sustainable.
:
: EFR
: Ile de France

Well, you are correct in that urbanization based on the car makes it
terrifically difficult to cycle to work. Our Interstate Highways, for
example, do not permit bicycles even on the paved shoulders. So, to weave a
torturous route to work 25 miles away would nearly double the distance---if
it could be figured out logistically. As for the SUV people, as I hear
their remarks, their main rationalization for buying one is "to protect my
family" even though that cannot be proven (they are relying upon sheer bulk
for safety). Also, the regulation of the SUVs here as not being under the
gas mileage figures that automobiles have to meet has resulted in the
production of SUVs that do not use gas wisely (an understatement). In fact,
I read that the number 1 complaint of new Hummer owners has been that they
are surprised how poor its gas mileage usage figures are. Now, that could
mean that new Hummer owners are just plain stupid, too. How could they NOT
know that such a beast would get poor gas mileage?

Pat in TX
:

Old October 26th 04, 09:21 PM
Matt O'Toole

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

Since it has reached the point that many communities do not even have
sidewalks for pedestrians, let alone cyclable routes, I do think
there is a vicious circle in operation. You get urbanization based on
the car, and then you end up making it impossible to live any other
way. And then you get the SUV lobbies and the oil addiction and the
irreversible need to consume so much that there would have to be 9
planets to make it sustainable.

The problem really isn't the SUV/oil lobby, it's that developers move to the
ouskirts of the city to build -- where there are no costs/hassles to integrate
their projects with anything else, or requirements to build sidewalks, etc.
They do build bike routes and sidewalks when they think their customers demand
them. Unfortunately, most new home buyers already have cars, and don't care
enough.

Matt O.

Old October 26th 04, 10:13 PM
the.Mark

dgk wrote:
On 25 Oct 2004 11:54:45 -0700, Jym Dyer wrote:

Dallas, for example, ...

=v= We were talking about cities with commuter rail and
bikestations. If you want to completely change the subject,
at least change the "Subject:" -- and as Dallas is not in
the UK, you might want to change "Newsgroups:" accordingly.
_Jym_

You MUST have a Dallas in the UK. All of our (US) cities are
named after cities in England. Oh, then it would be NewDallas
wouldn't it? Never mind.

Not quite. I there is a Dallas in Scotland. I've also been near to Berlin in
New Hampshire and an other in Wisconsin. There is not a Berlin in England as
far as I'm aware.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.