Bikes on NY subways

Old March 6th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bikes on NY subways

Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want to
ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can take
a bike on the NYC subways?

Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?

Please forgive the cross-posting...

TIA

Bruce

Old March 6th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:52:09 GMT, "Bruce Gilbert"
wrote:

Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want to
ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can take
a bike on the NYC subways?

Yes. See http://www.mta.info/nyct/safety/bike/index.html

Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?

I've never been there, but it's reportedly popular. The park's
off-limits to cars most of the time. Here's the posted rules for
bikes in the park:

http://www.prospectpark.org/general/...safety#bicycle

Whether it will be enjoyable requires a subjective assessment.

Hope that helps.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Old March 6th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 01:26:35 GMT, "Bruce Gilbert"
wrote:

Thanks!

Are you from Houston, I wonder?

I believe we've met. Is John Moore still trying to keep the old
Hal-PC BBS running?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Old March 6th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want to
ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can take
a bike on the NYC subways?

Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?

Please forgive the cross-posting...

TIA

Bruce

I live 4 blocks from Prospect Park. I don't ride there often enough.
I don't ride often enough! It's a 3.3 mi. loop, incl a 1/4 mi. hill.
Not much, but she'll rarely lack for company if she's looking for it.

Steve

Old March 6th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want
ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can
take
a bike on the NYC subways?

Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?

Please forgive the cross-posting...

TIA

Bruce

I live 4 blocks from Prospect Park. I don't ride there often enough. I
don't ride often enough! It's a 3.3 mi. loop, incl a 1/4 mi. hill. Not
much, but she'll rarely lack for company if she's looking for it.

Steve

This reminds me of a story Mineola Joe told in the lat 1970s on an LIBC
ride. Pre-WWII Joe was riding in Prospect Park where some of the six day
riders would train and/or warm up for rides elsewhere. One day Joe saw one
of the American greats (Watlthar, Jr.??) and rode on his wheel from Prospect
Park down to the end of Ocean Avenue (I think) just managing to stay on his
wheel. At the turnaround, Joe was congratulated for hanging on and had an
easier ride back to PP--by himself.

Old March 6th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

Bruce Gilbert wrote:

[...]

Mineola probably continued to retell that story forever--but somehow I
missed it. We'd hear repeatedly his stories about Francois Mertens and
Arnie Uhrlass: "Dere's not a guy around today fit ta shine dere shoes!!"

Steve

Old March 6th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
Our daughter just moved to Brooklyn and does not have a car. She may want to
ride in Central Park or up 9W with friends. Does anyone know if you can take
a bike on the NYC subways?

Does anyone on this group ever ride in Prospect Park? What is it like?

Please forgive the cross-posting...

TIA

Bruce

Prospect Park cycling--
Your daughter may be able to check out some of us local miscreants he

Steve

Old March 6th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

Bruce Gilbert wrote:

[...]

We were all in the same club--German Bicycle Sport Club. They were long
time members. I raced with Arnie but not Francois. Arnie was/is a really
nice guy. Other club members would give him their flatted tubulars because
nobody had the patience to repair them. He did, and as a result was always
racing on excellent tubulars for free. This helped him a lot as he didn't
make much money as a roofer and his wife and kids always came first. The
only times I ever say Arnie become upset were when Billy sucked his wheel at
Old Westbury and would come around him on the finishing hill.

Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 01:07 PM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM