Coaster Brake Failure

Old February 25th 19, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Coaster Brake Failure

jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:39:17 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/25/2019 9:16 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

Yes, I'd have liked some technical detail. Although I realize that's not
the point of the article.

I will say, a three speed with coaster brake is a fairly complicated
bucket of parts. I still don't know what was wrong with the Shimano one
that I had to disassemble multiple times because of its second gear
skipping. It's working now, but I don't feel confident about it.

OTOH, there's not much to the brake part of the device.

Bad grease.
https://www.sram.com/sites/all/theme...FINAL_1.19.pdf

-- Jay Beattie.

Interesting. We had some 25,000 V circuit breakers that failed to open for
exactly the same reason. Bad grease dried up and prevented certain moving
parts from moving when commanded to do so.

Old February 25th 19, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/25/2019 1:12 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:39:17 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/25/2019 9:16 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

Yes, I'd have liked some technical detail. Although I realize that's not
the point of the article.

I will say, a three speed with coaster brake is a fairly complicated
bucket of parts. I still don't know what was wrong with the Shimano one
that I had to disassemble multiple times because of its second gear
skipping. It's working now, but I don't feel confident about it.

OTOH, there's not much to the brake part of the device.

Bad grease. https://www.sram.com/sites/all/theme...FINAL_1.19.pdf

Marketing opportunity! No longer 'permanent lubrication' but
now 'FATAL lubrication'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 25th 19, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 11:59:23 AM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

These can hardly be called circuit breakers because of the incredible amount of power going through them. They are not build as and electrical mechanism so much as a mechanical one. I could design a better one but they don't pay you to improve a product unless they can make a profit from it.
Old February 26th 19, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:39:48 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

It's fake news. We all know that the old days were *far* superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!

Actually the old style single speed coaster brakes did have grease or
oil in them. See
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
under "Lubrication".

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old February 26th 19, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

It's fake news. We all know that the old days were *far* superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!

Actually the old style single speed coaster brakes did have grease or
oil in them. See
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
under "Lubrication".

It's brakes and grease, I will never surrender my opinion this is a good
thing[TM]. How do they work?

Old February 26th 19, 08:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

It's fake news.Â* We all know that the old days were *far* superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!

Actually the old style single speed coaster brakes did have grease or
oil in them. See
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
under "Lubrication".

It's brakes and grease, I will never surrender my opinion this is a good
thing[TM].Â* How do they work?

I think most tractors have wet brakes. Mine does. They seem to work.

--
JS
Old February 26th 19, 09:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

It's fake news. We all know that the old days were *far* superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!

Actually the old style single speed coaster brakes did have grease or
oil in them. See
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
under "Lubrication".

It's brakes and grease, I will never surrender my opinion this is a good
thing[TM]. How do they work?

Never the less, that is how they were built.

A famous race in the very early days of mountain bikes was called
"Repack" because one trip down Mount Tamalpais and you had to repack
the rear brake.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old February 26th 19, 09:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+ years old?

It's fake news.* We all know that the old days were *far* superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!

Actually the old style single speed coaster brakes did have grease or
oil in them. See
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
under "Lubrication".

It's brakes and grease, I will never surrender my opinion this is a good
thing[TM].* How do they work?

I think most tractors have wet brakes. Mine does. They seem to work.

Wet as in "water" or wet as in "oil"?
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old February 26th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design
100+ years old?

It's fake news. We all know that the old days were *far*
superior to
modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!

Actually the old style single speed coaster brakes did
have grease or
oil in them. See
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html
under "Lubrication".

It's brakes and grease, I will never surrender my opinion
this is a good thing[TM]. How do they work?

They've always, by design, had greased end bearings and
bendix ramps. Classic bronze-on-steel braking or modern
steel-steel pushes the lubricant aside with no issues.

Shimano Roller Brake hubs also need greased brake surfaces.

Old February 27th 19, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

wrote:

On 2/25/19 3:16 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reca...nd-aftermarket

Mysterious. How the hell did that happen in a design 100+
years old?

It's fake news. We all know that the old days were *far*
superior to modern rim/disc brakes.

Honestly, greasing brakes!

Actually the old style single speed coaster brakes did have
grease or oil in them. See
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/coaster-brakes.html under
"Lubrication".

It's brakes and grease, I will never surrender my opinion this is a
good thing[TM]. How do they work?

They've always, by design, had greased end bearings and bendix ramps.
Classic bronze-on-steel braking or modern steel-steel pushes the
lubricant aside with no issues.

Shimano Roller Brake hubs also need greased brake surfaces.

My world is unraveling :-(