Cyclist Safety - Submissions to the Victorian Government

Old June 11th 04, 02:08 AM
Unkey Munkey

Default Cyclist Safety - Submissions to the Victorian Government

In my experience, tradesmen in hotted up utes (XR8 falcons or SS
commodores) seem to have a predisposition towards road rage against
cyclists, especially overtaking too close. I also saw some statistics
that this is the most common type of vehicle driven by men who visit
brothels.
Is there a link between the two?

- UM
Old June 11th 04, 02:13 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Unkey Munkey" wrote
I also saw some statistics
that this is the most common type of vehicle driven by men who visit
brothels.

Somebody stood outside a brothel and noted car makes and accessories?

Theo

Old June 11th 04, 03:00 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Unkey Munkey In my experience, tradesmen in hotte
up utes (XR8 falcons or SS commodores) seem to have a predispositio
towards road rage against cyclists, especially overtaking too close

My experience is similar to this, plus the habit of women driving larg
four-wheel-drive vehicles turning left across my path, presumabl
because they cannot judge my speed or don't care

I also saw some statistics that this is the most common type of vehicl
driven by men who visit brothels. Is there a link between the two

You'd think they'd be all chilled out after a visit?!? :-

hipp

-

Old June 11th 04, 03:05 AM
Unkey Munkey

Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Unkey Munkey" wrote

I also saw some statistics
that this is the most common type of vehicle driven by men who visit
brothels.

Somebody stood outside a brothel and noted car makes and accessories?

Theo

Yes, somebody stood outside a brothel (in Sydney I believe!) and
recorded makes of cars. I read it in some journal, a sociology research
project. The conclusion was that (a) guys who drive flash cars like to
spend money on themselves, or to gratify their egos (duh!) and (b)
tradesmen have access to cash income plus a fluctuating income stream,
so it is harder for their wives to work out that they have been spending
money on prostitutes (harder than say, I guy on a fixed salary that goes
straight into the bank).

- UM

Many stranger things have been done in the name of social science ...

http://www.ithaca.edu/beins/methods/demos/tearoom.htm

TEAROOM TRADE
How ethical is this study?
A researcher was interested in the men who participated in sexual
activity in a public place, that is, their personal characteristics and
the nature of the sexual activity. His first step was to engage in
observation of such activity in a public restroom in a park within a
large city; these places were known as "tearooms." The general pattern
was for the men to drive to the park, enter the public restroom, and
engage in the desired behavior.

The researcher often served as what was called the "watch queen," that
is, a lookout to prevent individuals who might cause trouble from
interrupting the sexual activity. In general, interruptions of the
activity occurred due to the presence of local teenagers or police. This
activity was technically illegal when the study was done (in the 1960s),
so it would have been troublesome if the police arrived on the scene.

He gathered his information on 50 sex acts (mostly oral sex) involving
over 100 men. Then he obtained personal information about these
individuals. He copied down their license plate numbers, went to the
police and, giving a false cover story, obtained names and addresses
based on the license plates, and subsequently interviewed the men. He
informed them that it was part of a marketing research project.

Analysis of responses to the interview revealed that "when the
characteristics of the participants were compared with those of typical
males from the same urban area, no striking differences in terms of
occupations, marital status, socioeconomic characteristics, and the like
were found. Aside from their participation in clandestine homosexual
activity, there was little to distinguish these men from typical adult
males" (Reynolds, 1982, p. 68).
Old June 11th 04, 03:45 AM
amirm

Unkey Munkey wrote:
In my experience, tradesmen in hotted up utes (XR8 falcons or SS
commodores) seem to have a predisposition towards road rage against
cyclists, especially overtaking too close. I also saw some statistics
that this is the most common type of vehicle driven by men who visit
brothels. Is there a link between the two?
- UM

Sorry cfsmtb, this thread was almost killed instantly by this tast
topic. Gotta add some input here ;

One way of analysing these observations, and relating them, could be

- those ute drivers visit brothels frequentl
- those ute drivers drive passed bikes with close distanc

therefore, visiting brothel and passing by a rider at close distanc
would have the same effect on ute drivers

mmm, has tight lycra got something to do here? or other things lik
shaved legs, riding position etc.? eeeww! that's why I see them smile a
they just pass... :

-

Old June 11th 04, 04:00 AM
ritcho

cfsmtb wrote:
From the Audax list, please read,
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Please read the two messages below.
It regards the acceptance of submissions to the Victorian Government
the safety of cyclists on the road.
[snip]

I don't know about making changes - rule 144 of the Australian Roa
rules seems to be the relevant one for overtaking any vehicle
including bicycles

144 Keeping a safe distance when overtaking A driver overtaking
vehicle
(a) must pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a collisio
with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle; an
(b) must not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where th
vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance pas
the vehicle to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing th
path of the vehicle

I'd be quite happy for people to simply follow the rule. In other words
I don't think that changing the rule will help very much if driver
ignore it anyway. I'd rather spend more effort in convincing motorist
(and cyclists) to just observe the rules as they already are

Ritc

-

Old June 11th 04, 04:01 AM
flyingdutch

Born out of frustration and territorial behaviour, me think

I see so many drivers scowl at you if you pass (god forbid you do it o
the right as this must be the ultimate putdown for them

I couldnt remember the amount of times that cars have accelerated by me
just to acclerate by me and them come to a very abrupt halt 10-50
metres later up the butt of the car in front cos of the basic principl
of e = mc

( Eeediot = motorcar squared

Your right re the tradey's tho (sorry guys. lerv yor Utes. want one
dont wanna drive like you tho!) But they do tend to 'muscel' you more
Inevitably 16yr olds get influenced by the 20-something gut they wor
for and ride with (and eat pies and coffee BigM's with ) and lear
from an idiot, and hence become a crap drive

As mentioned in many other threads, you gotta stand up for your rights
dont give up the fight! Ride confidentally. in the left-centre of th
lane. not gutter-crawl. Signal clearly (when you physically can) et

Off th write an email to Higgy-baby now..

-

Old June 11th 04, 04:01 AM
amirm

Unkey Munkey wrote:
(snip)
(a) guys who drive flash cars like to spend money on themselves, or to
gratify their egos (duh!) and
(b) tradesmen have access to cash income plus a fluctuating income
stream, so it is harder for their wives to work out that they have
been spending money
(snip)
(c) The general pattern was for the men to drive to the park, enter the
public restroom, and engage in the desired behavior.
(snip)

Some mind-blowing discoveries (as itemised). Thanks to these studies no
I know my conduct in public toilets follows the general pattern! Wh
funds these sort of research??

I thought it would be normal for ANY one (regardless of gender) to tr
to spend as least time as possible in smelly public toilets. Apparentl
this was not clear in '60s

-

Old June 11th 04, 04:38 AM
Tamyka Bell

Theo Bekkers wrote:

"Unkey Munkey" wrote
I also saw some statistics
that this is the most common type of vehicle driven by men who visit
brothels.

Somebody stood outside a brothel and noted car makes and accessories?

Theo

As a postgrad research student I can say that almost certainly someone
has stood outside a brothel and noted car makes and accessories and if
not, someone will soon after reading these posts. And then you can call
them doctor.

Old June 11th 04, 05:30 AM
warrwych

144 Keeping a safe distance when overtaking A driver overtaking a
vehicle:
(a) must pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a collision
with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle; and
(b) must not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the
vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past
the vehicle to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the
path of the vehicle.
I'd be quite happy for people to simply follow the rule. In other words,
I don't think that changing the rule will help very much if drivers
ignore it anyway. I'd rather spend more effort in convincing motorists
(and cyclists) to just observe the rules as they already are!
Ritch

Ritcho - I totally agree. Had an interesting encounter a few mths bac
where I was passed by an older ford sedan (getting into the theme of ca
= personality type ;-)) with a guy being held by the lower legs so h
could hand out the rear passenger window and take a swipe at me - trie
to collect my by the shoulder of the jersey but instead just managed t
brush me with his finger tips. This was on an open rural road so the
were doing a fair speed. (Unfortunately they were going at a speed an
rounding a corner that I didnt get a number plate...

In this case, they managed to keep the car at would have been called
"safe distance' ;-). Just not the bodies in the car.... Unfortunately i
this case, a bunch of young guys killing time on a Sunday afternoon in
small country town - how do you change mentality in those situations???

-