Sydney cycleway trap for cyclists

Old November 24th 10, 10:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
K.A. Moylan

Default Sydney cycleway trap for cyclists

I tried to find the full article, as published in yesterday's
Australian, but the following URL will have to do.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-trap-for-cycl
ists/story-e6frg6nf-1225958828128

The opening reads:

A CONFIDENTIAL safety report labels one of Sydney's cycleways a
potential deathtrap.

The report identifies at least 10 hazards capable of killing cyclists.

The examples missing from the on-line version a
* Bus shelter advertising obstructing visibility of dedicated pedestrian
crossing;
* Inappropriately positioned speed cushions;
* Uneven surface;
* Intersections (! huh? );
* Driveway type B (whatever these are, exactly);
* Door opens outward onto cycle facility (i.e. the door prize).

The upshot is that just because a city council installs a bicycle path
doesn't mean that it is good to use.

--
K.A. Moylan
Canberra, Australia
Old November 25th 10, 01:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

K.A. Moylan wrote:

The upshot is that just because a city council installs a bicycle path
doesn't mean that it is good to use.

Yawn, just the usual anti-bicycle crap from the Australian. it wouldn't
qulify for a fail in a journalism class. Hardly "confidential" if it is
splashed all over the newspaper and thus a fraudulent clim as the
compiler is not identified.

Old November 26th 10, 03:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

"terryc" wrote in message
K.A. Moylan wrote:

The upshot is that just because a city council installs a bicycle path doesn't mean
that it is good to use.

Yawn, just the usual anti-bicycle crap from the Australian. it wouldn't qulify for a
fail in a journalism class. Hardly "confidential" if it is splashed all over the
newspaper and thus a fraudulent clim as the compiler is not identified.

You wouldn't be suggesting that News Ltd has an agenda, would you?

A political agenda?

A self-interest agenda?

T.

Old November 26th 10, 11:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
K.A. Moylan

In article ,
"Tomasso" wrote:

"terryc" wrote in message
K.A. Moylan wrote:

The upshot is that just because a city council installs a bicycle path
doesn't mean that it is good to use.

Yawn, just the usual anti-bicycle crap from the Australian. it wouldn't
qualify for a fail in a journalism class. Hardly "confidential" if it is splashed all
over the newspaper and thus a fraudulent clim as the compiler is not identified.

You wouldn't be suggesting that News Ltd has an agenda, would you?

A political agenda?

A self-interest agenda?

T.

These days, I read the Australian with my Pravda filter on. Every time
they write something about the (A.L.P.) government I try to imagine what
the truth is that they are hiding.

Has anyone here ridden the bike path in question? (Bourke Road cycleway,
Sydney.) I have read complaints about poorly designed cyclepaths in
cities overseas and thought that this one was another example.

Old November 27th 10, 12:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
bristan[_2_]

"K.A. Moylan" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tomasso" wrote:

"terryc" wrote in message
K.A. Moylan wrote:

[...]

I know Bourke road and it is not an easy location for a cycleway . I
haven't seen what has been done but I can imagine it may well have quite a
few problems.
But that is only normal for most of the on road cycleways in Sydney. People
have been killed using some of them (kurnell and princes highway engadine
spring to mind.)
nothing like the approach in Canberra.
Having worked in a council and other engineering offices, this would be a
typical scenario.:-
Politician. to top bureaucrat "We should build a cycleway, will get us some
left wing votes and keep some of the idealogues quiet , those who keep
badgering us to do more for bicycles."
Top bureacrat to underlings (maybe several down the line):..".Look we can
get a good budget out of this... take care of it will you" We can cost shift
onto some of our other projects which are running over budget.
When it reaches the works engineer he looks around at his staff and says :-
"hey Fred, youve got a bike, the project is yours." It is rare that any of
these people involved are bicycle users otherwise the results would be
better.
The result is some half baked thing with lots of signs and painted lines on
the road with little thought to the actual function of the track.
The genuine riders who have to use the thing complain bitterly but by then
it is too late.
There are many example of poor cycletrack around Sydney including IMO the
hugely expensive track alonside the M7. Tho I think this is a thinly
disguised service road for the M7 itself in case of blockage of the main
freeway. Very undulating and going nowhere useful, it is no wonder some
cyclists prefer to ride on the expressway itself.
Some bad cyclepaths IMO:
Kurnell,
Princes highway from Sutherland
Bridge across Woronora river
Going south across Cooks river bridge at the airport
etc etc

Roads to nowhere leave cyclists fuming - Thats Sydney! Rob Australia 8 April 29th 09 04:06 AM
Mouse trap Dan Burkhart[_24_] Techniques 2 September 20th 07 04:09 AM
Sydney cyclists Jack Russell Australia 7 November 22nd 06 04:41 AM
Cyclists on the F3 Sydney to Newcastle Fractal Australia 23 September 29th 06 04:20 AM
Sydney cycleway scrapped Humbug Australia 15 June 7th 06 08:50 AM