Road courtesy

Old December 17th 10, 04:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default Road courtesy

I ride a bit around Sydney as some folks here may know and I have
sometimes wondered if I am being a bit too polite to other road users.

OK, I am a nice guy at heart and I think it is nice to acknowledge other
road users who have done what I consider the "right thing" when they see
me coming.

For example, a vehicle coming out of a side-street onto the main road
may stop to let me pass as I have the right of way. In such a case, I
would nod and say "thank you" and continue on my way with nary a thought
beyond that "thank you". I mean, I know there is no real need for me to
say anything really cos that vehicle HAS to let me go first but somehow
in my mind, it's almost like that road user has done the "right thing"
SPECIFICALLY for me, a guy on a busted up rusty old bike pedalling
along. The reality is more likely that the other vehicle doesn't want my
****ty bike, travelling at 30khp ), to crash into their car panels )

Another silly thing I do is to say g'day to other riders who pull up
beside me at the traffic lights. Sometimes, I have some convo wih them
and sometimes I am totally ignored (probably cos I am not wearing lycra
and sunnies). Sometimes, we ride along together for a while until one or
the other puts on a "power display" and ride off into the distance. I
am usually the "power displayee" but I have beaten a coupla 80-yos and
some kids in prams and trikes (but have been beaten by same too!)

I admit that it is hard to be courteous to some road users like the
driver of that fully laden B-double(?) pulling LPG the other night on
Airport Drive(?), Kingsford-Smith, but I sometimes wave to them and
smile.

I could go on and on and on but I know I am boring and it ain't polite
to be boring
Old December 17th 10, 07:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 17/12/2010 3:45 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
[...]

Some don't look and then you cop abuse, when they pull out across a
driveway and almost run you down. Some try to hit you so they can have
the road.

I can't ride along the roadway here is just two lanes both sides, there
are no bike lanes the only option is the footpath. There is no
connecting back streets so the main road is a necessary path on which to
ride.

We only have a bike lane along side the distributor/expressway and
cars/trucks pass at 90=100kph and the bike lane is covered in stones not
a very exciting ride. Scary in fact.

Now lets turn that around some cyclists duck and weave amongst the cars
risking their own safety.
Old December 17th 10, 02:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 17 dez, 04:33, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lock glock@home on Fri, 17 Dec 2010
15:45:00 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

I ride a bit around Sydney as some folks here may know and I have
sometimes wondered if I am being a bit too polite to other road users.

OK, I am a nice guy at heart and I think it is nice to acknowledge other
road users who have done what I consider the "right thing" when they see
me coming.

I'm in Melbourne, Victoria and I ride an electric trike with a basket on
the back. I'm allowed to park it and lock it up inside a couple of
supermarkets which makes the trike a terrific shopping utility.

For example, a vehicle coming out of a side-street onto the main road
may stop to let me pass as I have the right of way. In such a case, I
would nod and say "thank you" and continue on my way with nary a thought
beyond that "thank you". I mean, I know there is no real need for me to
say anything really cos that vehicle HAS to let me go first but somehow
in my mind, it's almost like that road user has done the "right thing"
SPECIFICALLY for me, a guy on a busted up rusty old bike pedalling
along.

I also nod and wave "thank you" when motorists give way to me. But
because my trike doesn't have blinkers (as yet) when I approach an
intersection, if I intend to turn left or right I clearly indicate by
pointing my left or right arm in the direction I intend turning and I
appreciate it when motorists give me a "thank you" wave.

The reality is more likely that the other vehicle doesn't want my
****ty bike, travelling at 30khp ), to crash into their car panels )

LOL.

--

*Erik

What do you expect from heathens, men without God. The problem is not
have a scientific solution. It is about the loss of God in our
society.
Old December 17th 10, 05:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 17/12/2010 5:33 PM, Erik Vastmasd wrote:
I caught a glimpse of Geoff Lockglock@home on Fri, 17 Dec 2010
15:45:00 +1100, writing in aus.bicycle:

I'm in Melbourne, Victoria and I ride an electric trike with a basket on
the back. I'm allowed to park it and lock it up inside a couple of
supermarkets which makes the trike a terrific shopping utility.

No such luck with supermarkets around my area here in Sydney

I usually "tie up" my bike to any convenient pole with one of those
el-cheapo chains from KMart. I figure if they really want a crappy old
bike like mine, they can have it and it'll give me an excuse to ride my
daughter's Cannondale which she left at my place

I also nod and wave "thank you" when motorists give way to me. But
because my trike doesn't have blinkers (as yet) when I approach an
intersection, if I intend to turn left or right I clearly indicate by
pointing my left or right arm in the direction I intend turning and I
appreciate it when motorists give me a "thank you" wave.

Blinkers, eh? That's swishy I still think sitting upright and
sticking my hand out is safer though. It seems to work for me everytime
- even when I ride on roads which have cars whizzing by at 70-90 kph
Old December 17th 10, 05:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 17/12/2010 6:07 PM, Rob wrote:
On 17/12/2010 3:45 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:

I admit that it is hard to be courteous to some road users like the
driver of that fully laden B-double(?) pulling LPG the other night on
Airport Drive(?), Kingsford-Smith, but I sometimes wave to them and
smile.

I could go on and on and on but I know I am boring and it ain't polite
to be boring

Some don't look and then you cop abuse, when they pull out across a
driveway and almost run you down. Some try to hit you so they can have
the road.

For the ones coming out of driveways or sude streets, I try to make eye
contact and make a show of slowing down. Looking friendly is sometimes
handy as well.

For those that try to play silly buggers, I usually pretend that they
are trying to attract my attention and shout after them asking if their
mother still calls out my name when she is touching herself in her sleep

I can't ride along the roadway here is just two lanes both sides, there
are no bike lanes the only option is the footpath. There is no
connecting back streets so the main road is a necessary path on which to
ride.

Well, if you kit yourself with a hi-vis vest and have a roadworthy bike,
you don't have to use the footpath. Just stick yourself in the middle of
the kerbside lane and the faster traffic will use the other spare lane.

The key is to ride in the middle of the lane and NOT to one side. If you
ride to one side of the lane, you WILL be squeezed out. Riding in the
middle of the lane gives them no option and you are in the safest part
of the road right in the middle of that lane.

We only have a bike lane along side the distributor/expressway and
cars/trucks pass at 90=100kph and the bike lane is covered in stones not
a very exciting ride. Scary in fact.

That's a crappy deal I sometimes wonder if one is obliged to use a
bike lane if such a lane is provided AND there are no road signs
indicating the bike lane MUST be used.

Now lets turn that around some cyclists duck and weave amongst the cars
risking their own safety.

It does depend on where one ducks and weaves. In the middle of the
Sydney CBD or other highly congested traffic areas, I do take advantage
of my mobility by threading my bike through the choas.

Of cos, ducking and weaving is NOT recommended on some of the roads I
ride on - those cars come charging thru at 70-90 kph and the only way to
make my way thru the lanes is to sit upright and stick my hand straight
out and start to look over my shoulder. So far, I have made it thru
every time becos most drivers do slow down when they realise that I am
determine to make it across 4 lanes of traffic

New bike hazard- courtesy of VicRoads Halcyon Australia 41 September 30th 07 09:41 PM
Declining courtesy among cyclists? Anthony Campbell UK 19 June 12th 07 08:47 PM
AGAIN, COURTESY OF THE NY PIG DEP'T. NYC XYZ General 4 November 17th 06 09:40 AM
Driver Courtesy Gags Australia 23 September 29th 05 12:57 PM
Excessive driver courtesy nearly causes accident Anthony Campbell UK 28 June 7th 04 11:35 PM