Squeaky roller brake (Shimano Nexus Inter 8)

Old November 24th 05, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Squeaky roller brake (Shimano Nexus Inter 8)

As per the topic, the my read brake has started squeaking. Is this normal for
a roller brake? How do I fix it?

Nice one
Old November 24th 05, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

lid wrote:
As per the topic, the my read brake has started squeaking. Is this normal for
a roller brake? How do I fix it?

Sorry that should be my REAR brake
Old November 24th 05, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"chris French" wrote in message

They do need greasing with special grease, have you done that, It's
what I would try first?

I used these for ~8 years so I know their tendencies... ;0)

Yes, it sounds like it needs grease. You'll find a small plastic cap about
3/16" (about 5 mm) diameter on the brake body - remove it and fill with
decent grease, I never used a special type. These squirty 'guns' that take
screw-in tubes are fine. I used to apply gunk until it was evident outside
the body of the unit against the heatsink. When done, replace the cap.

The brake may continue to squeal until the grease works in - I personally
used to head for the steepest downhill, and power down it with my little
finger just pulling the freshly lubed brake on (usually scaring the horses
for miles with the racket). The subsequent heat (they generate a fair bit -
beware!) seems to cause flow in the lubricant and stop the squeal.

HTH

Tim

Sent from Birmingham, UK timdunne at blueyonder.co.uk
'God's electrician sparked up the heavens once again, heading northbound
on the 7:10. And the lord said let there be commuters...' - Thea Gilmore
Look, mum, an anorak on a bike! Check out www.nervouscyclist.org