My new KH/Schlumpf 36!!!

Old December 10th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Default My new KH/Schlumpf 36!!!

corbin;1147036 wrote:
Yeah

Technically, one of the G-KH24s is for Louise.

-corbin

Still, that is pretty awesome.

Do you think you will be going to NZ for unicon?

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old December 10th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

corbin;1147036 wrote:
Yeah

You might be the first comsumer (household, technically) worldwide that
has three Schlumpfs.

--
Klaas Bil
Old December 10th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nathan

James, you're so right. Geared on a 36" is the way to go. I love them.
We are a little behind Corbin and Louise in that our Munis are still
single-speed (have to fix that soon), but we are loving the dual 36ers.
I set another speed record yesterday riding to work.

---Nathan

|Filename: 422810024_8EYmk-L.jpg |

nathan
Old December 10th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

ntappin;1147044 wrote:
Still, that is pretty awesome.

Do you think you will be going to NZ for unicon?

Unfortunately, the Africa trip will probably consume all my finances
and vacation time. I'd love to go, but I don't think I'll be able to
afford it or get the time off. If I can swing it (some how), I will make
it happen. I've always wanted to visit NZ.

corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old December 11th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rolandisimo

Cool!
I'm on the road this week but have all the parts waiting for me at home
to build my 36guni. Can't wait!
ro

--
rolandisimo
Old December 11th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gangstertaco

nathan;1147079 wrote:
James, you're so right. Geared on a 36" is the way to go. I love them.
We are a little behind Corbin and Louise in that our Munis are still
single-speed (have to fix that soon), but we are loving the dual 36ers.
I set another speed record yesterday riding to work.

---Nathan

somebody likes the colour yellow :P

--
gangstertaco

You can't learn if you can't understand. You can't understand if you
can't learn. Therefore you can learn if you can understand and you can
understand if you can learn....

Phil_on_uni wrote:
hey inflatable people are people too

Old December 11th 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

I took it for a spin again for about an hour tonight after work. I put
the shifting buttons on and played around with shifting. Shifting into
low gear feels smooth and it doesn't feel silly riding in low gear like
it did with the geared 29. I actually feel like I have two usable
gears! Shifting into high gear feels easier on the geared 36 than on
the geared 29 (although shifting into high gear is pretty easy with
both), and shifting into low gear feels slightly harder, but I am sure I
will get better with practice.

I have only been able to ride this beast at night due to work, but even
at night in the rain I am going insanely fast on it without feeling like
I am out of control. I can't wait till this weekend when I will take it
on a nice bike trail.

Below are some pics, you can see my funky way of putting bar ends on a
cut rail adapter to fit my brake (brake hasn't been installed yet). I
need to cut the vertical bar end down quite a lot because that extra bit
is not needed, but this was a temp solution for me until I weld a brake
mount on my GB4. I just need to find someone who can weld.

30034

30035

30036

|Filename: geared36-3.jpg |

siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name
Old December 11th 08, 08:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

A question for the KH/Schlumpf 36er owners. How stiff and strong is the
wheel? The flange width of the KH/Schlumpf hub is less than what I'm
used to with an extra-wide standard hub. It took some work to end up
with a 36" wheel that I found to be stiff enough and strong enough for
me and the extra width of an extra-wide hub was critical. Is the geared
KH 36" wheel noticeably less stiff?

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
Old December 11th 08, 08:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brycer1968

john_childs;1147368 wrote:
A question for the KH/Schlumpf 36er owners. How stiff and strong is the
wheel? The flange width of the KH/Schlumpf hub is less than what I'm
used to with an extra-wide standard hub. It took some work to end up
with a 36" wheel that I found to be stiff enough and strong enough for
me and the extra width of an extra-wide hub was critical. Is the geared
KH 36" wheel noticeably less stiff?

I'm a big fan of the extra wide hub too. While I can't say if the
Schlumpf hub and KH 36 frame combo is narrower (Anyone know how much
narrower the schlumpf is than the wide UDC hub??) and therefore weaker,
but with my single speed wide ISIS hub and KH 36 frame . . . . . I'm
feeling like the reduction in hub width does result in a weaker wheel.
This is a limit for off-road riding, but the narrower hub seems fine for
road riding with a couple of caveats:
1. You gotta fiddle with the maggie brakes to get the shoes backed off
enought to not rub, yest still work as a brake. They barely do their
job.
2. You really have to dial in the higher spoke tension a lot more
precisely. You could go for years with a ex-wide hub with a lower
tension wheel build and never have to touch the spokes and ride over all
sorts fo crazy stuff, but the narrower hub build seems to need more care
and feeding/frequent truing.
3. I found that the bearings that came on the Nimbus ISIS hub were
loose/ defective and added to the lateral movement at the outside of the
wheel. I replaced the bearings and all is well with this

brycer1968
Old December 11th 08, 09:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Klaas Bil;1147052 wrote:
You might be the first comsumer (household, technically) worldwide that
has three Schlumpfs.

I have two Schlumpfs and a spare Schlumpf hub.

Unfortunately, that spare hub is the recalled 1st Gen hub.

Congrats on the new Schlumpf James! Hopefully that will solve some of
your knee probs? A also found shifting is definitely easier than the
29" Schlumpf also!

I'm yearning for my Unguni though....but unfortunately I only have a
Schlumpf with me in Aussie.

John and Brycer1968, I don't notice any flex whatsoever with the 36" KH
Schlumpf. And I've revved it up well over 30km/hr on dirt. The frame
is pretty stiff, so that helps.....we wrestled with one for over an hour
with minimal frame flex when I wrecked my first frame.

Corbin...if you can't make Unicon, how about Induni? Not quite as far
to travel www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

36’’ Schlumpf hendyjr05 Unicycling 31 October 30th 07 12:58 AM
36’’ Schlumpf Daytripper63 Unicycling 0 October 27th 07 12:16 AM
My new Schlumpf Tigger Unicycling 12 February 20th 07 10:00 PM
Schlumpf 36 siafirede Unicycling 28 December 6th 05 07:27 AM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 12th 05 12:37 AM