Broken tandem forks

Old June 9th 04, 04:17 PM
Clive George

Default Broken tandem forks

Friends with a thorn adventure had their forks fail on them at the
steerer/crown. These are the funny thorn two-plate ones.

Fortunately the failure mode was the steerer tube cracking/becoming detached
from the bottom plate, giving a horrible wobble but no actual crash.

Funnily enough they don't trust adventure forks any more, but will give the
stronger discovery ones a go. I reckon this is a fair replacement - I
wouldn't expect any rigid forks on a touring bike to fail without a crash,
since they are such a safety critical item.

Mr Thorn has offered the discovery forks as a replacement for 50 quid
extra - I think he should give them for free.

So, what think the general public?

cheers,
clive

(x-post to tandem@hobbes)

Old June 9th 04, 05:00 PM
Simonb

Clive George wrote:

Mr Thorn has offered the discovery forks as a replacement for 50 quid
extra - I think he should give them for free.

So, what think the general public?

I think he should bloody well be happy to upgrade the fork for free; just to
save face. Specialized upgraded my forks without even being asked when mine
developed a crack -- they are big enough to shrug off a single customer's
dissatisfaction should they choose to.

Old June 9th 04, 05:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Clive George
') wrote:

Friends with a thorn adventure had their forks fail on them at the
steerer/crown. These are the funny thorn two-plate ones.

Fortunately the failure mode was the steerer tube cracking/becoming
detached from the bottom plate, giving a horrible wobble but no actual
crash.

[snip]
Mr Thorn has offered the discovery forks as a replacement for 50 quid
extra - I think he should give them for free.

Pooffffft!

Had this tandem ever been crashed? Had it been used on excessively rough
surfaces for excessive distances?

If not I'd be extremely unimpressed.

;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.
Old June 9th 04, 05:19 PM
Clive George

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
in message , Clive George
') wrote:

Friends with a thorn adventure had their forks fail on them at the
steerer/crown. These are the funny thorn two-plate ones.

Fortunately the failure mode was the steerer tube cracking/becoming
detached from the bottom plate, giving a horrible wobble but no actual
crash.

[snip]
Mr Thorn has offered the discovery forks as a replacement for 50 quid
extra - I think he should give them for free.

Pooffffft!

Had this tandem ever been crashed?

No.

Had it been used on excessively rough
surfaces for excessive distances?

Not IMO (depends on your definition of excessively rough of course - it
certainly hasn't been used for serious MTBing).
It's two years old, so hasn't gone that far either.

If not I'd be extremely unimpressed.

Indeed.

cheers,
clive

Old June 9th 04, 05:27 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Clive George wrote:

Mr Thorn has offered the discovery forks as a replacement for 50 quid
extra - I think he should give them for free.

When my Stinger frame failed the manufacturers summplied a complete new
frameset (including forks) and a set of Home Mono Minis as a goodwill
gesture. Robin is being a skinflint. Doesn't surprise me, mind. I had no
particular problem with him, but he does drive a notoriously hard bargain.

Guy

Old June 9th 04, 05:43 PM
Tony Raven

Clive George wrote:
Friends with a thorn adventure had their forks fail on them at the
steerer/crown. These are the funny thorn two-plate ones.

Fortunately the failure mode was the steerer tube cracking/becoming detached
from the bottom plate, giving a horrible wobble but no actual crash.

Funnily enough they don't trust adventure forks any more, but will give the
stronger discovery ones a go. I reckon this is a fair replacement - I
wouldn't expect any rigid forks on a touring bike to fail without a crash,
since they are such a safety critical item.

Mr Thorn has offered the discovery forks as a replacement for 50 quid
extra - I think he should give them for free.

So, what think the general public?

It could be a one off rather than a design issue in which case there is no
reason not to just replace them. I would be inclined though to quiz him
thoroughly on the design adequacy of the forks and make clear that you are
only accepting them on his assurances thereby putting the onus for a repeat
failure and responsibility for any consequences on him. I would be inclined
to repeat this in writing to him. He is then putting himself at great risk if
he is trying to palm off an inadequate fork. If he gives those assurances I
would be inclined then to accept the straight replacement and keep an eye on
it. We'd all like an upgrade when something fails but the only rationale
other than goodwill for demanding one is if there is clearly a design or
generic manufacturing failure. Even the tightly regulated aircraft industry
has occassional mechanical failures.

Tony

Old June 9th 04, 07:08 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Clive George wrote:

Friends with a thorn adventure had their forks fail on them at the
steerer/crown. These are the funny thorn two-plate ones.

Fortunately the failure mode was the steerer tube cracking/becoming detached
from the bottom plate, giving a horrible wobble but no actual crash.

Funnily enough they don't trust adventure forks any more, but will give the
stronger discovery ones a go. I reckon this is a fair replacement - I
wouldn't expect any rigid forks on a touring bike to fail without a crash,
since they are such a safety critical item.

Mr Thorn has offered the discovery forks as a replacement for 50 quid
extra - I think he should give them for free.

I take it that a pair of replacement Adventure forks would have been
free under the lifetime warranty? I suppose it's fair to charge the
difference in price if this is the case, but I'd be interested in how
seriously he's taking the failure of the original ones. It sounds like
poor brazing to me, since really slender steel forks can stand up
perfectly well to rough roads.