Mt. Princeton Hillclimb TT, Colorado

Old October 5th 05, 03:23 AM
aspenmike

Default Mt. Princeton Hillclimb TT, Colorado

I thought my hillclimbing racing season was over after Mt. Washington,
so I have been a slug, mostly anyways. But... I found out about this
Hillclimb TT close to home so I asked Logan if he would do it with me,
a reason not to push so hard, (so I thought). He said yes w/o any
questioning, was he on something? The event was the 1st annual Mt.
Princeton Hillclimb TT put on by a Yeti Race Team here in Colorado.
They run lots of other events during the season, mostly DH events. The
profile is 4000' vertical feet gained in 7.3 miles, kinda of frickin
steep, and all DIRT. The finish elevation is 12,000' above sea level.
Annie, Logan, the dog, and I drove over in the motorhome Saturday, race
was on Sunday due to the conflict with the big Bike race in New Mexico.
The big bonus for us was the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs, a natural hot
springs at the base of the mountain. The resort is very low key, and
has a couple of swimming pools, and multiple rock pools that are next
to the creek that comes out of the Continental Divide. We spent a few
hours pool hopin Saturday night, which was a blast. The sky was clear,
so the stars at 8000' elevation with no lights was spectacular. We saw
a few satallites speeding across the sky and then they would disappear
into the milky way. We jumped in Chalk Creek, water temp around 50
degree's, then jumped back in the hottest pool, around 110 degrees,
what a rush!
They had Logan and I go first, and everyone followed us. We got passed
by the last person at around mile 4. Between being a slug, the
elevation, double fall line road, and pretty steep pitch, I had a hard
time. Logan and I rode together after a couple of miles, I wanted to
set a fast pace for the first two miles, then ride the rest with him.
We walked a portion of it, to keep moving, then would ride some. I was
wanting a bail out gear for the technical steep sections. We could see
the top road cut across the huge basin above us between miles 4-5, but
it seemed so far away. The one aid station was at 10,800' where they
had water. We glady took some, as our 100oz camelbak's were filled with
cytomax. There in the distance was the long traverse across the huge
basin, about a mile to go. Ride some, walk some, ride some, walk some.
The thin air was taken effect by now, so riding for very long was hard.
We passed an enormous avalanche path, the biggest one so far, and I had
to stop and take a picture. The starting line was visible, way down
below, incredible view from there. Logan and I rode across the finish
line together with the huge crowd, (15 people) going crazy for us. We
had done it, a father son adventure completed together. I was so proud
of Logan for hanging in there, hell, he pushed me on more than one
occasion. Even though we suffered allot, it was an incredible
accomplishment for both of us. High fives were exchanged, photo's
taken, and then the whole group headed down. Quite a few of the racers
had gone down before we finished, so just a few racers were left. The
EZ up finish station almost blew away at 12,000' as the ridge top winds
picked up to 40 mph. Logan opted to take a ride down in a truck, a
smart move, as he has hockey and soccer games/practices all week. I had
to ride down this mountain, so I spun my way down. No brakes, still
don't believe in em, and my 24" took me down the mountain in half the
time. I stopped a couple of times to take pics and once to eat, but no
UPD's. It was sooo much fun to ride all the way down from that
elevation. I arrived at the awards tent just in time to change and
receive our awards. Logan and I both received some nice swag for our
efforts, which we were very appreciative. The race was run very
professionally, and I see it becoming big in a few years. It's a very
tough course, but the scenery is world class. It is Tuesday and I am
still sore from the smokin ride down, well worth the pain! Cheers

|Filename: Mike & Logan top of MPHC TT 1001.JPG |

aspenmike
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old October 5th 05, 03:28 AM
aspenmike

looking down at start line, can you see it?

|Filename: Avalanche chute Mt. Princeton001.JPG |

Old October 5th 05, 05:56 AM
nathan

WOW, that is some climb. 4000' in 7.3 miles on dirt! Way to go. Aren't
father/son adventures the best? Tell Logan I said he's awesome. Wish I
could do those events with you guys but it makes no sense at all to fly
out for a race that goes to 12000' - since I live at 490'... I would
keel over.

---Nathan

--
nathan
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old October 5th 05, 07:35 AM
tomblackwood

As always Mike, very inspiring write-up. It reminds me that I've been
so obsessed with distance training the last six months, I haven't spent
any time on muni, where I can ride with my son on his 20". Time to
saddle up the Hunter this weekend and get out on the trail with Miles.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk.....

"By George! The man's a genius!"
Murde Mental

Old October 5th 05, 08:18 AM
john_childs

The average grade for that climb works out to about 10.4%. That's evil
for a long climb on a dirt road with what looks to be loose rock. And
at altitude.

Twice I've attempted a dirt road climb that has a similar grade but
only gains 2600 feet. I start out OK but can't sustain the climb for
that long on that steep of a dirt road. Loose rocks and washboards
become significant challenges. I've needed to end up walking parts of
the climb and end up walking more of the climb than I would like to
admit. Doing that for 4000 vertical feet would just prolong the
abuse.

I don't think I'm going to get around to trying that climb this year.
I'll have to see how the weather holds and when my ankle gets better.
I know for sure that the climb will get the better of me again.

Congrats on another climb. Looks like a doozy.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) :: 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old October 5th 05, 11:14 AM
Tmornstar

Great story and, as always, great photos! Keep both coming!

Tommy

--
Tmornstar

Tommy Thompson
(No PMs. please)
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old October 6th 05, 12:13 AM
aspenmike

john_childs Wrote:
I've needed to end up walking parts of the climb and end up walking
more of the climb than I would like to admit. Doing that for 4000
vertical feet would just prolong the abuse.

Congrats on another climb. Looks like a doozy.

Prolonging abuse is good for the soul, but only if you know there is
reward at the end. It was a doozy of a climb/race. Thanks

Old October 6th 05, 12:38 AM
onewheeljoe

It looks like you guys rode a 29 and a 26, is that right?

--
onewheeljoe

****************************
Chop wood and carry water.
onewheeljoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7357

Old October 6th 05, 04:06 AM
aspenmike

onewheeljoe Wrote:
It looks like you guys rode a 29 and a 26, is that right?

One is a 24" ,the other is a 26". Both were difficult to keep moving
for long distances the top 3 miles.

Old October 6th 05, 04:54 AM
gbarnes

Wow, nice job Mike!

I've driven/hiked that road a couple times and can definitely
appreciate what it took to ride up!

Was the race this last weekend? I was in Buena Vista Saturday night.

--
gbarnes

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.