Clunking sound when I brake?

Old March 21st 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gooserider

Default Clunking sound when I brake?

When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking sound.
The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair guide) says this
is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Mike

Old March 21st 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"Gooserider" wrote in message
When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking
sound. The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair guide)
says this is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Mike

Are your screws loose. No joke intended

Old March 21st 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kenny

On Mar 21, 11:50 am, "Gooserider" wrote:
When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking sound.
The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair guide) says this
is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Mike

My guess, uneven braking surface.

Old March 21st 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Gooserider wrote:
When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking
sound. The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair
guide) says this is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Loose headset.

Old March 21st 07, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 21, 1:50 pm, "Gooserider" wrote:
When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking sound.
The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair guide) says this
is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Mike

Is there a dent in the wheel? You might not be able to see it easily,
but feel it with your finger while spinning the wheel.

Old March 21st 07, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
di

"Gooserider" wrote in message
When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking
sound. The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair guide)
says this is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Mike

I had this once and it was the joint where the rim is joined, slight
difference in the surface.

Old March 21st 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Mar 20, 9:50 pm, "Gooserider" wrote:
When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking sound.
The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair guide) says this
is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Mike

Brake hitting the rim seam, if it has one? If so, a little emery paper
to make it smooth-

Old March 21st 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ozark Bicycle

On Mar 20, 11:37 pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
Gooserider wrote:
When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking
sound. The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair
guide) says this is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Loose headset.

That's certainly worth a look. Especially if there is an absence of
grabbing or roughness in the braking action (as caused by an uneven
seam, etc.).

Old March 21st 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gooserider

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
Gooserider wrote:
When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking
sound. The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair
guide) says this is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Loose headset.

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Yes, that was it. After you suggested
this I checked the Park Tool website and they also described the problem as
a loose headset. I followed their directions and now the problem is gone.
Thanks, Bill.

Old March 22nd 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Gooserider wrote:
When I apply my front brake firmly, there's an intermittent clunking
sound. The wheel looks to be true. My repair book(Bicycling repair
guide) says this is a dent in the wheel. Any other ideas?

Loose headset.

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Yes, that was it. After you
suggested this I checked the Park Tool website and they also
described the problem as a loose headset. I followed their directions
and now the problem is gone. Thanks, Bill.

I always say "loose headset". It's my thing. :-)

does this sound right? goldenchicken Unicycling 8 December 30th 04 04:43 AM
Bad sound KH24 rusty Unicycling 18 June 8th 04 08:34 AM
KH sound rusty Unicycling 6 April 5th 04 10:48 PM
Help Identify BB 'Clunking' Noise Please! John Latter UK 8 March 28th 04 07:15 PM
Help! Strange clunking noise... Matthew Myatt UK 4 September 1st 03 01:32 PM