How did UK become so dominant on track?

Old March 29th 08, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
icogs

Default How did UK become so dominant on track?

I don't follow cycle sport sport much, except TdF, but I don't
remember cycling being a big deal here before Chris Boardman in
Barcelona. Suddenly we are THE track cycling nation! What happened?
Old March 29th 08, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

icogs wrote:

I don't follow cycle sport sport much, except TdF, but I don't
remember cycling being a big deal here before Chris Boardman in
Barcelona. Suddenly we are THE track cycling nation! What happened?

I don't know but I think the velodrome may have helped.

On this subject, could someone please explain the Madison to me? How can
a team that is a lap ahead /not/ win sprint points?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk
Old March 29th 08, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Ekul Namsob wrote:
icogs wrote:

I don't follow cycle sport sport much, except TdF, but I don't
remember cycling being a big deal here before Chris Boardman in
Barcelona. Suddenly we are THE track cycling nation! What happened?

I don't know but I think the velodrome may have helped.

On this subject, could someone please explain the Madison to me? How
can a team that is a lap ahead /not/ win sprint points?

Think of the Madison as cycling's equivalent to Leg-Before-Wicket or the
Off-Side rule. If you it was fully understood by all, it would take the fun
out of the game :-)

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old March 29th 08, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Nigel Cliffe wrote:

Ekul Namsob wrote:
icogs wrote:

I don't follow cycle sport sport much, except TdF, but I don't
remember cycling being a big deal here before Chris Boardman in
Barcelona. Suddenly we are THE track cycling nation! What happened?

I don't know but I think the velodrome may have helped.

On this subject, could someone please explain the Madison to me? How
can a team that is a lap ahead /not/ win sprint points?

Think of the Madison as cycling's equivalent to Leg-Before-Wicket or the
Off-Side rule. If you it was fully understood by all, it would take the fun
out of the game :-)

LOL I used to love taking folk to six day races and saying, "You're
not going to understand this...." At least on a 250 m track you can
usually tell where the front of the race is. On a short six day track
it can be /very/ confusing with riders all over the place.
Old March 29th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

icogs writtificated

I don't follow cycle sport sport much, except TdF, but I don't
remember cycling being a big deal here before Chris Boardman in
Barcelona. Suddenly we are THE track cycling nation! What happened?

This gives a good overview:

www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/gbr/gbteam_about.asp
Old March 29th 08, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Ekul Namsob wrote:

icogs wrote:

I don't follow cycle sport sport much, except TdF, but I don't
remember cycling being a big deal here before Chris Boardman in
Barcelona. Suddenly we are THE track cycling nation! What happened?

I don't know but I think the velodrome may have helped.

Good development and elite management at British Cycling. Manchester
Velodrome is not the first good velodrome Britain has had, and isn't the
only one we have now (although Edinburgh's is just about to be demolished).
Physical facilities are only as good as the people who run them.

On this subject, could someone please explain the Madison to me? How can
a team that is a lap ahead /not/ win sprint points?

(1) Because they've already been awarded points for being a lap ahead.
(2) Because otherwise an even which is already pretty difficult for the
commissaires would become completely unmanageable.

;; It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
;; Voltaire RIP Dr David Kelly 1945-2004
Old March 30th 08, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Baal

Cracking website you have Simon!

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk

Old March 30th 08, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Simon Brooke wrote:

Ekul Namsob wrote:

icogs wrote:

On this subject, could someone please explain the Madison to me? How can
a team that is a lap ahead /not/ win sprint points?

(1) Because they've already been awarded points for being a lap ahead.

Though you get points for taking a lap in the points race you don't in
the madison, the Swiss pair of Risi Marvuli were in bronze medal
position for a long time on zero points.

(2) Because otherwise an event which is already pretty difficult for the
commissaires would become completely unmanageable.

That's the real reason. The only way they could clear up who was in
the sprints for points would be to eliminate the lapped riders.
Old March 30th 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Baal wrote:

Cracking website you have Simon!

Why, thank you, kind sir.

Actually, it doesn't get much maintenance. Most of it dates back to 1996 and
some bits just don't work any more (and ought to be fixed but haven't
been).

The only bit that does get updated at all regularly is dogfood.

Morning had broken. I found a rather battered tube of Araldite
resin in the bottom of the toolbag.
Old March 30th 08, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
barry taylor

"icogs" wrote in message
|I don't follow cycle sport sport much, except TdF, but I don't
| remember cycling being a big deal here before Chris Boardman in
| Barcelona. Suddenly we are THE track cycling nation! What happened?

Peking
AND
peaking too early

~~~ ~ _@