Best Muni/Trials Shoe

Old September 26th 08, 08:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

Default Best Muni/Trials Shoe

MuniAddict;1102581 wrote:
Here's the new version: http://tinyurl.com/49rlko

I have three pair of the first version and they are the absolute best
shoe for MUni/coker/trials, ect that I have ever owned! Incredible grip,
long wearing, very comfy with ankle protection.

I recommend the Impact 2 over the originals. I had the originals, and
within a few months the lace eyelet at the top ripped out. 5-10 replaced
them under warranty with the Impact 2, but I was without shoes for a
couple weeks. The new ones are going strong after almost a year. They
rock. And they're worth the extra money. Try looking around--I've seen
them for under $90 a couple places online.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old September 27th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joejumps4fun

unfortunately they make it very difficult to find anything on that
website by not providing a "search" feature....I don't see those shoes.

--
joejumps4fun

~*Joey*
www.geocities.com/jneigh4
www.youtube.com/jneigh
www.vimeo.com/jneigh
Old September 28th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

I have the older version 5.10 Impacts (like MuniAddict's 1st link), 2
pairs, in fact. They're great for everything uni, *-except ankle sprain
protection-*. They're not high enough around the ankle to prevent
sprains.

I have had two serious sprains with mine. Perhaps the newer ones are
high enough?

I use lightwt ankle braces like Kevin (phlegm) for rough muni.

--
steveyo

steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
Old September 30th 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JesseG

It's funny. I hadn't been looking at this site, and then I came back to
it just now, having been made aware of ankle braces, and wondering what
yous guys (sic) thought of them.

I'm gonna be on rough and sometimes rocky terrain.

Let me try to focus my question this way. I think I'm gonna get the
impact 2 mid. So, what percent extra ankle-protection margin will I get
if I also use a brace like the McDavid (see earlier in thread). Like,
50% more, 100% more(doubles the protection), or maybe 300% more, or
whatever.

I don't want to have to use a brace in addition to the impact2, but if
it's gonna be a night-and-day difference, I'd probably do it. Actually,
it would help if anyone wants to talk about the down-sides to braces
that I might not already realize--besides the discomfort and
inconvenience that I'm thinking about. Is the reduced mobility much of
an issue for effective trials-y muni.

(And does Kris Holm ever use them).

Thx.

--
JesseG
Old September 30th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
teachndad

I have worn ankle braces like Kevin's(Phlegm). The type I wear has the
laces up the front like a boot, but it adds two velcro straps that go
over and under the foot and up the side of the ankle on both sides.
Very similar to how you would tape a persons ankle that has been
sprained. Then there is a velcro strap around the leg to keep it tight.
It feels supportive at first for the first 15 minutes or so, but even
with the velcro reduncies, I found it loosens up. To retighten, I have
to loosen my 661's to get at the brace. Kind of a PITA. I just want to
ride. I don't think it offers that much lateral support. I bought the
brace with some flexible plastic inserts that fit into sleeves on the
sides. Works in theory, but very impractical, as the pressed against my
ankle bone and started to chafe quickly. I then rode without the
plastic inserts.

Do a search on Active Ankles in the forums for more info on those.
That's a different animal. I wore those for about a year on both ankles
for protection, but they wore out over time and got loose. Even with
those, my ankle could twist, and they brace would sometimes hit the
crank. I have a thick lower leg, so mine may have been too big, hence
the result of not offering that much support.

Just my experience.

At least with my riding, I didn't find a night and day difference
between wearing the brace(s) and not. There wasn't that much diffence
in the mobility and was easy to get used to.

Cheers.

--
teachndad

Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
(http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
'UnicycleTips.com' (http://UnicycleTips.com)
'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
Old September 30th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

I usually buy my 5.10 high impact shoes locally at pricepoint, and their
prices are also the lowest-most of the time. I found another place that
is $10 less for the same shoe, (High Impact 2) and free shipping and no
tax since they're out of state.

http://brandscycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=11047

--
MuniAddict

'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com/)
Old September 30th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JesseG

teachndad;1104957 wrote:
[...]

This, very useful.

And then it's always nice when someone gives me reason to do what I
want to anyway.

But if anyone else has had a different experience and thinks I really
should get a brace, let me know.

--
JesseG
Old September 30th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
timekeeper

Thanks for that link Terry. I just ordered some. I really need these
for CMW because I don't think my feet can handle 3 days of riding on my
really crappy shoes.

Oh and also, I use 661 ankle braces but they're really annoying to lace
up but I'd say its worth it to get some. I wonder if I'll even need
them with the Impact 2s though...

--
timekeeper
Old September 30th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

Another vote for 5.10 Impact 2's. I have the low customs (Sam Hills).
Great durability, sticky when wet, can be harder to chaneg foot
placement, but all you need to do is run a shoe with shorter/fewer
pins.

I considered the mid height shoe, but I don't think it'll help with
ankle stability, and the shoe tends to rub/hit the crank. Instead I'd
use a nice lace up ankle brace, which is far more supportive that tow
additional laces of a shoe.

Worth the money if you have some to spare

--
Nurse Ben
Old September 30th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

teachndad;1104957 wrote:
I have worn ankle braces like Kevin's(Phlegm). The type I wear has the
laces up the front like a boot, but it adds two velcro straps that go
over and under the foot and up the side of the ankle on both sides.
Very similar to how you would tape a persons ankle that has been
sprained. Then there is a velcro strap around the leg to keep it tight.
It feels supportive at first for the first 15 minutes or so, but even
with the velcro reduncies, I found it loosens up.

That's the opposite of my experience. I find that my feet swell after
I start riding, so I've learned to tighten the braces just the right
amount so that they're supportive without making my feet go numb.

Regarding whether or not one should wear them, I'd say you should wear
them if you're prone to bad sprains often. You know your body the best.
Like I said, I wear them because it's hard to find shoes that support
my narrow ankles well, and I've sprained my ankles many, many times in
my life.

I don't know of any downside other than spending ~$50 and the time to
put them on. I don't feel that the braces interfere with any
unicycling, and I wear them whenever I ride MUni, trials,
uni-basketball, long distances, etc.

--
phlegm

Hey all of you fellow Trials/Street riders, what are some shoe recommendations? TrialsUni Unicycling 39 November 11th 07 11:01 PM
Muni shoe vivalargo Unicycling 32 August 13th 07 09:28 PM
MUni shoe contender--Merrell Continuum Jam tholub Unicycling 4 February 4th 07 05:07 PM
trials or muni underdog Unicycling 0 May 24th 06 08:56 PM
My new trials Muni Tigger Unicycling 9 January 12th 06 04:21 AM