Split Saddles

Old August 24th 05, 08:39 PM
aandr

Default Split Saddles

Due to a continuing chaffing related problem on the right thigh I am
considering switching from a horn type saddle to a split saddle. I
have found 3 of the split type - Hobson, Spiderflex, and BiSaddle.
Does any one have any recommendations? ... experience? ... other
brands? ... with the split type they could share.

Old August 24th 05, 09:03 PM

aandr who? writes:

Due to a continuing chaffing related problem on the right thigh I am
considering switching from a horn type saddle to a split saddle. I
have found 3 of the split type - Hobson, Spiderflex, and BiSaddle.
Does any one have any recommendations? ... experience? ... other
brands? ... with the split type they could share.

I don't have any experience with these saddles but have heard from
folks who used them. I think you should consider the mechanics of
sitting on a bicycle saddle before trying this.

I'm not sure where the sore point is, but I assume it is on the
pressure point between pelvis and saddle, there where most bicyclists
sit. If you describe where this is or what the symptom is, it would
be easier to make suggestions.

If you look at the picture at:

http://www.bycycleinc.com/pages/male.html
http://hobsonseats.com/products.htm

Note that the two protuberances on the pelvis are what bicyclists sit
on. There is no motion between them, being part of the same bone.
These saddles imply "sit bones" tilt fore and aft with the legs.
Superficially, watching a bicyclist ride, one might get the impression
that the contacts rock fore and aft with motion of the legs... they
do not.

I'm not sure you are suffering from chafing or just sore tissue
between epidermis and pelvis. These effects go away for most people
as they achieve fitness by toughening the tissue and developing
calloused skin at the contact areas.

By all means, don't buy one of these without a test ride. The bicycle
saddle is shaped as it is from more than 100 years of trial and error.
The recent reversion to the "fart slot" or "ball pocket", patented 100
years ago is an unfortunate throwback that discredits evolutionary
design. It is marketing as are the split saddles that have been
hovering around the bicycle market for at least as long.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 24th 05, 09:21 PM

jj who? writes:

I'm not sure you are suffering from chafing or just sore tissue
between epidermis and pelvis. These effects go away for most
people as they achieve fitness by toughening the tissue and
developing calloused skin at the contact areas.

Jobst, do people really get callouses on their gluteus muscle,
behind, backside or ischial protuberances? I don't ride that much
compared to you advanced guys, but it just seems hard to understand
how someone riding with chamois and a bit of Vaseline or chamois
cream is going to be able to get a callous in that spot.

You might not call it callous but the skin gets tough and can be felt
when running the hand over it. It is also visible as darker skin in
those areas. I don't know anyone who rides on Vaseline, or for that
matter on leather chamois. I can't see putting grease in a fuzzy
synthetic chamois.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 24th 05, 09:29 PM
aandr

The sore spot is on the right thigh that rubs against the side of the
horn and has created - not a callous - but a fatty growth that will
cause more/different problems if surgically removed - that's medical
advice not my intuition. To continue with the horn saddle will simply
increase the size of the fatty growth. Long term it is either go to a
recumbant or try one of the split saddles.

Old August 24th 05, 10:18 PM

aandr who? writes:

The sore spot is on the right thigh that rubs against the side of
the horn and has created - not a callous - but a fatty growth that
will cause more/different problems if surgically removed - that's
medical advice not my intuition. To continue with the horn saddle
will simply increase the size of the fatty growth. Long term it is
either go to a recumbent or try one of the split saddles.

That's a different problem than what I had visualized. Normally, a
well proportioned person does not contact that part of the saddle in
most bicycling and not at all in level terrain riding. I still think
you might be better off with a short nosed saddle, of which I have
seen some but don't recall any names.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 24th 05, 10:22 PM
jj

On 24 Aug 2005 12:39:03 -0700, "aandr" wrote:

Due to a continuing chaffing related problem on the right thigh I am
considering switching from a horn type saddle to a split saddle. I
have found 3 of the split type - Hobson, Spiderflex, and BiSaddle.
Does any one have any recommendations? ... experience? ... other
brands? ... with the split type they could share.

So basically a noseless saddle.

You might find it instructive to read through one of the 'saddle design'
threads on rec.bicycles.tech, though I understand you have a special
problem.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...3450f425415d26

or

http://tinyurl.com/cfoe9

It's less of a condemnation and more of an analysis of the function of the
nose and action of the pelvis on the saddle, etc. Fascinating.

jj

Old August 25th 05, 12:22 AM
Fred

"aandr" wrote in message
oups.com...
The sore spot is on the right thigh that rubs against the side of the
horn and has created - not a callous - but a fatty growth that will
cause more/different problems if surgically removed - that's medical
advice not my intuition. To continue with the horn saddle will simply
increase the size of the fatty growth. Long term it is either go to a
recumbant or try one of the split saddles.

Seems like those saddles would be too wide, and chafing would be increased.
I like hard, narrow saddles for two reasons. Being hard means that just my
sitz bones are in contact with the saddle. They don't sink down leaving the
softer parts to experience pressure. Being narrow means that my inner
thighs don't rub against the sides of the saddle. It seems like this is the
issue you're describing. Maybe you should try something like the Sella
Italia SLR. By looks it seems counter-intuitive that it would be
comfortable but I find it the most comfortable of all my saddles.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...6&srccode=2047

Old August 25th 05, 12:59 AM
Jeff Starr

On 24 Aug 2005 13:29:01 -0700, "aandr" wrote:

The sore spot is on the right thigh that rubs against the side of the
horn and has created - not a callous - but a fatty growth that will
cause more/different problems if surgically removed - that's medical
advice not my intuition. To continue with the horn saddle will simply
increase the size of the fatty growth. Long term it is either go to a
recumbant or try one of the split saddles.

Hi, as others have mentioned, maybe a narrower saddle, or wider???

Have you tried changing the angle of the saddle? I was having a
problem, a couple of years ago, and I temporarily cocked it a few
degrees to one side. It did help. It might be worth trying.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old August 25th 05, 01:12 AM
Claire Petersky

"jj" wrote in message
On 24 Aug 2005 12:39:03 -0700, "aandr" wrote:

Due to a continuing chaffing related problem on the right thigh I am
considering switching from a horn type saddle to a split saddle. I
have found 3 of the split type - Hobson, Spiderflex, and BiSaddle.
Does any one have any recommendations? ... experience? ... other
brands? ... with the split type they could share.

So basically a noseless saddle.

Apparently so. I thought the OP meant a split saddle, like this:
http://www.cyclingequipment.com/perf..._ti_saddle.jpg

JJ's right, you don't want one of these saddles, you want a bike and a
saddle that fits properly, instead.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Split Saddles Bob Gir. General 11 June 29th 04 08:36 AM
Split Saddles Bob Gir. Techniques 7 June 29th 04 01:58 AM
Split Saddles Comparison psycholist Techniques 4 September 16th 03 01:09 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM