shorter axle on rear hub

Old September 17th 05, 07:18 AM
Dan Daniel

Default shorter axle on rear hub

I have a rear wheel that I'd like to use on another bike. The hub is an
XT, 135mm OLD. The bike I'd like to move it to is 130mm width. I have
an axle from another Shimano rear hub with 130 OLD, so I assume the
threading will be the same as on the XT hub. Or I could just grind down
the XT axle.

I understand the mechanics- removing 5mm of spacers from the XT left
side spacer setup, redishing the wheel, possible problem with the left
side XT rubber boot. And I know that I could spread the frame (steel)
and get the 135mm to fit. But assuming that I do shorten the axle and I
deal with the basic setup issues, is this a mistake? Am I missing a
major reason not to do this?

Thanks- Dan

Old September 17th 05, 12:34 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 16 Sep 2005 23:18:30 -0700, "Dan Daniel" wrote:

I understand the mechanics- removing 5mm of spacers from the XT left
side spacer setup, redishing the wheel, possible problem with the left
side XT rubber boot. And I know that I could spread the frame (steel)
and get the 135mm to fit. But assuming that I do shorten the axle and I
deal with the basic setup issues, is this a mistake? Am I missing a
major reason not to do this?

You could also spread the frame to 132.5 and have a dual function frame.
Several frames do that commercially now.

Jasper
Old September 19th 05, 05:25 PM
dvt

Dan Daniel wrote:
I have a rear wheel that I'd like to use on another bike. The hub is an
XT, 135mm OLD. The bike I'd like to move it to is 130mm width. I have
an axle from another Shimano rear hub with 130 OLD, so I assume the
threading will be the same as on the XT hub. Or I could just grind down
the XT axle.

I understand the mechanics- removing 5mm of spacers from the XT left
side spacer setup, redishing the wheel, possible problem with the left
side XT rubber boot. And I know that I could spread the frame (steel)
and get the 135mm to fit. But assuming that I do shorten the axle and I
deal with the basic setup issues, is this a mistake? Am I missing a
major reason not to do this?

Are you a really big guy? Will the extra spacers come from the left side
of your hub? Redishing the wheel by 2.5 mm towards the cassette will
reduce the strength of the wheel slightly, so that *could* be a problem
if the rider is really big. An offset drilled rim would take care of this.

I've use 130 mm hubs in 126 mm spaced bikes by removing left side
spacers and redishing. It worked just fine for me, but I'm not a giant.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old September 20th 05, 04:18 PM

Dan Daniel wrote:
I have a rear wheel that I'd like to use on another bike. The hub is an
XT, 135mm OLD. The bike I'd like to move it to is 130mm width. I have
an axle from another Shimano rear hub with 130 OLD, so I assume the
threading will be the same as on the XT hub. Or I could just grind down
the XT axle.

I understand the mechanics- removing 5mm of spacers from the XT left
side spacer setup, redishing the wheel, possible problem with the left
side XT rubber boot. And I know that I could spread the frame (steel)
and get the 135mm to fit. But assuming that I do shorten the axle and I
deal with the basic setup issues, is this a mistake? Am I missing a
major reason not to do this?

Thanks- Dan

Depending on the hub and spacers, you may not have to redish anything.
Or change axles. I converted a 135mm Shimano Deore DX hub to 130mm by
just removing two thin washers from each side of the axle. No
redishing. The extra length of the axle sticking out each end was
still short enough to fit between the rear frame dropouts. The frame
was aluminum with thick rear dropouts. Before redishing and switching
axles, check if the converted hub will work in the new frame.