Pic of the new Campy External Bearing Crank/BB

Old May 12th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Pic of the new Campy External Bearing Crank/BB

Campy jumps on the bandwagon:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...006/news/05-12

D'ohBoy

Old May 12th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:
Campy jumps on the bandwagon:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...006/news/05-12

They are just a little different:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/view...asc&start= 26

(scroll down to the pictures)

-nate

Old May 12th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Llatikcuf wrote:

D'ohBoy wrote:

Campy jumps on the bandwagon:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...006/news/05-12

They are just a little different:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/view...asc&start= 26

(scroll down to the pictures)

-nate

It's about time they answered the unasked question and solved the
problem that didn't exist. Bravissimo Campagnolo!

Actually it looks kind of flimsy.
Old May 12th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Quoth the Devil:

It's about time they answered the unasked question and solved the
problem that didn't exist. Bravissimo Campagnolo!

Hey, what would you do if you noted market share/profit loss due to an
"unasked question" that "solved the problem that didn't exist"? If it
were me, I would go with the trend. Others might choose to stand by
their principles, but businesses are in business to make money, not
stand on principle.

Wait a minute - I've seen that "unasked question..." line somewhere
else.....

And the Devil went on:

Actiually, it looks kind of flimsy.

It is Mirage, not Record. And there are lots o' things that look
flimsy that ain't.

D'ohBoy

Old May 13th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

D'ohBoy wrote:

Quoth the Devil:

It's about time they answered the unasked question and solved the
problem that didn't exist. Bravissimo Campagnolo!

Hey, what would you do if you noted market share/profit loss due to an
"unasked question" that "solved the problem that didn't exist"? If it
were me, I would go with the trend. Others might choose to stand by
their principles, but businesses are in business to make money, not
stand on principle.

Do we know that C company has lost market share because of Isis or
Octalink or external bearings? Seems they've been increasing in
general, though maybe not in the crank department.

If you were to go with the trend, would you market your new crank as
"the trend goer" or would you try to identify a problem or question to
which your new crank offered a resolution? I'm guessing C company plays
the "stiffness" card. I'll also wager their square taper BBs will find
their way into oblivion.

So we have the company whose aficionados laud its eschewing of fluff
designs selling essentially the same fluff as the other company that
those same aficionados loathe. I find it humorous, that's all.

Old May 13th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 12 May 2006 05:59:21 -0700, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

Campy jumps on the bandwagon:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?...006/news/05-12

Looking at the center joint design, I'm not impressed. That's either
going to not work, or cost way too much to produce, and it's going to
be far too susceptible to getting fouled by a stray grain of sand.

IMO, the "unanswered" question of "what will replace the square taper"
remains just that; unanswered. ISIS has a shoulder radius problem;
Octalink has a known fragility issue; Hollowtech II, MegaExo and now
this Campy design all try to support a major load-bearing assembly
from a thin interface. I think it's going to be up to SRAM or Sun (or
a player that has not yet made a splash) to come up with the real
solution.

Actuially, the solution is probably over in the BMX arena right
now...but I doubt that the roadie market folks will look under their
noses to find it.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.