Chain Stretch

Old September 21st 17, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain Stretch

On 9/21/2017 10:31 AM, jbeattie wrote:

I rode the West Coast up into Canada in 1976, the first year of the Bikecentennial trail, and practically nobody was wearing helmets. By 1981, when I rode across the US, maybe 30/40% were wearing helmets. People typically didn't wear their helmets when posing for the Cookie Lady. Nobody really talked about helmets -- pro or con. People either wore them or didn't.

Our bicycle club produced a slide show promoting the club back in the
1970s, before we were here. It was recently digitized and we watched it
with friends who were members back then. Plenty of photos of then-young
members enjoying local rides. Perhaps 2% of the riders were in helmets.

Talking with a good friend who was shown in the slides, she said "I
remember the switch to helmets. Nobody wore them at first and nobody had
problems. Then just a few people started wearing them. Pretty soon if
you showed up without a helmet they were saying 'Where's your helmet?'
and making fun of you. I hated it."

So, as with most things: Certainly no rational analysis, and not even
official policy. Just caving into misleading propaganda, plus peer pressure.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 21st 17, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/21/2017 9:14 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 11:12:22 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 12:34:12 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 5:04:06 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:

Some memories are precious.
http://www.majka.us/cookielady/ I'm in there, but I'm not telling you whe https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=1431

Go back to the 70s and early 80s. The pictures are great -- happy people in t-shirts and cut-offs or touring shorts. I'm in Bata Bikers and some pre-Nashbar Bike Warehouse touring shorts. No lycra in sight, for better or worse. Few high-end bikes. People were just having fun -- and discussions were not of epic pain and suffering and killer cars. I don't think they had bike lanes back then. Joerg would have to stay home and wait for the country to get connected-up.

The sad part is, almost all the folks in those photographs must have never
completed their rides. How could they? No plastic hats for protection, no
bike lanes to keep motorists from running them over, no lycra to prevent
deadly saddle sores, no index shifting to allow accurate downshifts for the
hills, and pounds and pounds of excess weight in the frames and wheels...

It's sad, sad, sad!

- Frank Krygowski

Gee whiz Frank,LOL.You make it sound as is EVERY bicycling advance inthe last 100+ years was Totally uneeded and thus wasteful.LOL

Are you going to add pneumatic tubes and realtively easy to remove clincher tires to that list too?

Actually, I believe that reliasble inexpensive index shifting is a MAJOR reason forany bicycling increase over the years = no more having tospend a long time learning how to shift properly.

Something I find most people get discouraged from trying bicycling is simply the distances they'd have to ride to get to anywhere.

Also, it's a lot harder to load a lot of groceries onto a bicycle than it is to put those groceries into a car.

You sure hit that one. Using glue-on's was one of the things that kept bicycling on high performance bicycles so rare in those days.

What the hell does that mean? I rode to the Post Office for
15 years, six days a week, with a load of crap on my bike.
With tubulars.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 21st 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:59:00 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 08:37:04 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 19/09/2017 11:39 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 19:23:20 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 5:37:47 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:21:14 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

On 9/15/2017 4:48 AM, John B. wrote:

I've been thinking about chain wear, sometimes called ch
See section #8d.2 he
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/

Yup, Brandt (in all his glory :-)

Disagree. Completely. Brandt shines much, much more brightly, where the subject has more depth. These few words, although correct and useful, are most assuredly NOT Brandt at his finest.

The term was meant to be sardonic.

Ok, sardonic, fine but where is the meaning?

Goodness. English language courses yet:

sardonic ~ adj
1. disdainfully or ironically humorous; scornful and mocking
--
Cheers,

John B.

I think he understands the meaning of sardonic. I think he's asking you
what was the meaning of your sardonic comment. What point were you
trying to make?

I was commenting on Brandt's usual method of discussion, i.e., state a
"fact" and then labeling anyone that didn't agree with him as wrong.

Set a better example.

Cheers!

Old September 21st 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 8:57:51 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/21/2017 9:14 AM, wrote:
[...]

Says the bike mechanic. :-)
Old September 22nd 17, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Why?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 22nd 17, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 23:12:17 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Also, it's a lot harder to load a lot of groceries onto a bicycle than it i=
s to put those groceries into a car.

I once got my picture in the paper for having two bags of groceries on
my bike.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old September 22nd 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:45:35 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

BTW, I enjoy it when we get the occasional compliment about shopping by
bike. For example, last week someone said to my wife and me "You rode
your bikes to Target!! I love it! That is SO COOL!"

I get depressed when people gush in awe because I'd come ALL THE WAY
FROM WINONA LAKE -- almost two miles.

Of late they've started saying "bless you, keep it up." That's
depressing too.

Old September 22nd 17, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

wrote:

Also, it's a lot harder to load a lot of groceries onto a bicycle than
it i=
s to put those groceries into a car.

I once got my picture in the paper for having two bags of groceries on
my bike.

Well obviously! One would ruin the balance.
--
davethedave
Old September 22nd 17, 09:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

http://tinyurl.com/ycpznae9
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 22nd 17, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

BTW, I enjoy it when we get the occasional compliment about shopping by
bike. For example, last week someone said to my wife and me "You rode
your bikes to Target!! I love it! That is SO COOL!"

I get depressed when people gush in awe because I'd come ALL THE WAY
FROM WINONA LAKE -- almost two miles.

Of late they've started saying "bless you, keep it up." That's
depressing too.

Not nearly as depressing as someone looking at me and asking, "How can someone your age ride a bike?"

Chain stretch - actual tech. James[_8_] Techniques 22 March 7th 13 12:34 PM
chain stretch question Mark Cleary[_2_] Techniques 16 November 16th 09 03:32 PM
Scary chain stretch Alan Braggins UK 1 December 17th 05 09:45 PM
Does chain stretch really exist? Ken Marcet Techniques 15 March 5th 05 09:15 PM
chain un-stretch? larry english Techniques 2 August 12th 03 06:41 PM