"Bedford" Summit

Old January 11th 04, 08:07 PM
Tmornstar

Default "Bedford" Summit

I have to show off my re-invented Bedford Summit. A while back I tried
to paint my Summit so that it might be a tad unique. Of course the
paint flaked off like crazy. So I sent it off to Darren Bedford who sand
blasted it clean and did a wonderful, beautiful job of powder coating.
While the frame was off to Canada I sent those ridiculous, ankle bitters
cranks off to a machinist that knows unicycles and asked him to take the
bite out of the cranks by taking more than a 1/4 inch off at the crank.
I have a new trials uni that doesn’t require my Active Ankles. Also,
those old cranks ate two of my favorite riding shoes, too!

Anybody want to buy some active ankles - say, $25?
E-mail me at:

Cheers,
Tommy

| Attachment filename: bedford.summit.1.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/184342|

Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old January 11th 04, 08:09 PM
Tmornstar

Here is a shot of the milled cranks. Sweeeeet.
Tommy

| Attachment filename: bedford.summit.crank.3.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/184343|

Old January 11th 04, 08:23 PM
joona

Tmornstar wrote:
*While the frame was off to Canada I sent those ridiculous, ankle
bitters cranks off to a machinist that knows unicycles and asked him
to take the bite out of the cranks by taking more than a 1/4 inch off
at the crank. I have a new trials uni that doesn’t require my Active
Ankles. Also, those old cranks ate two of my favorite riding shoes,
too!*

Do I have a funny way to ride or why I don't smash my ankles on the
cranks? I think I have never hit my ankle to a crank.

--
joona - )-O --Neat

'Aaaargghh!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2snl6)
Don't click the link. It makes your head hurt. It tells you to count the
black spots.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's a matter of taste.
They say beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes way down to the bone.
-Tatsuya Ishida
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

Old January 11th 04, 08:30 PM
Erin

Wow, you've got one sweet trials uni now Tommy! Good thinking to go to
Darren for the paint job. Plus I'm sure you are enjoying riding with
your 'newly trimmed' cranks.

--
Erin - Onewheeler

"You broke your leg doing WHAT!?"
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Old January 11th 04, 08:33 PM
thinuniking

i have only heard of people hurting there ankles on the kh cranks i
might be wrong.

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

Clown is such a dirty word.
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old January 11th 04, 08:37 PM
phil

joona wrote:
*Do I have a funny way to ride or why I don't smash my ankles on the
cranks? I think I have never hit my ankle to a crank. *

I occasionally whack my left ankle when my foot slips slightly doing a
drop or something. If the front foot tilts backwards it puts the ankle
level with the nub, and if the back of the foot has moved over slightly
it's the nub that wins...

Having said that, the last time I whacked my ankle it was with a
nub-less onza crank. I have no idea how I did that...

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old January 11th 04, 08:53 PM
Tmornstar

What I hated (past tense) was as I was launching down the stairway to
hell and the nub would often (becasue of my poor form) lift my foot off
the pedal. Or, I would often hit my toe on the nub. No doubt, it was
my riding form that was causing half the pain. However, the other-half
was a design that was not made for riders such as me.

I just came in from a short trials ride - sweeeeet - and no pain, no
Active Ankles. I repeat, they are for sale.

Tommy

Tommy

Old January 11th 04, 09:50 PM
bugman

thinuniking wrote:
*i have only heard of people hurting there ankles on the kh cranks i
might be wrong. *

Summit has the same cranks.

--
bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

"Trying to maintain balance by wild arm and body motions is something
like trying to balance a wet noodle"
Jack Wiley _The_Unicycle_Book_

Old January 12th 04, 12:37 AM
daino149

Nice ride. How much did the nub removal cost? I might want to try
getting that done. The nubs are well annoying. Also, what did Darren
charge for the powder coating? I don't think I'll be doing that, but it
does look sweet.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Old January 12th 04, 01:39 AM
billham

Nice Tommy. No surprise to see the flames on it!

How much was taken off the cranks? What was the charge for nub
removal?

Bill

--
billham

Direction is everything, distance is secondary.
billham's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4625

Bedford Downhill Mountain Unicycle Brakes Darren Unicycling 27 January 20th 04 04:21 AM
Bedford Flames Erin Unicycling 2 November 26th 03 03:00 PM
Bedford Factory Team rocks Bradford Festival Darren Unicycling 2 August 25th 03 07:08 PM