electrolyte replacement

Old March 19th 07, 04:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Default electrolyte replacement

Harng Goh wrote:

I've tried Staminade a few times, and always end up with the same
problem - it doesn't seem to mix properly. Maybe it's something to do
with my bottles, my shaking technique (is it up down up down, or up
down left right? Hey, sounds like a Tekken move) or how the water
comes out of the tap in my kitchen, but it always gets stuck in a big
lump at the bottom of the bottle. I then have to break up said big
lump and shake for 5 minutes until the little lumps finally dissolve.
I finished the tub and switched back to Gatorade. Figuring I might
have had a dodgy batch, I try the Staminade again with the same
result. What am I doing wrong??

put the water in the bottle first
Old March 19th 07, 04:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

Artoi wrote:

In article .com,
"Bleve" wrote:

I use staminade, you can get it from stupormarkets (get the powder, or
if it's the liquid, check that it has magnesium in it).

Second Staminade. Get two or three containers when it goes on sale at
your local supermarket. I only use it for long weekend rides and don't
usually mix it to full strength.
--

ditto. i've been using it for about 3 years. great stuff, not as sweet
as the premixed ones.
Old March 19th 07, 05:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Harng Goh

Peter wrote:
Harng Goh wrote:

I've tried Staminade a few times, and always end up with the same
problem - it doesn't seem to mix properly. Maybe it's something to do
with my bottles, my shaking technique (is it up down up down, or up
down left right? Hey, sounds like a Tekken move) or how the water
comes out of the tap in my kitchen, but it always gets stuck in a big
lump at the bottom of the bottle. I then have to break up said big
lump and shake for 5 minutes until the little lumps finally dissolve.
I finished the tub and switched back to Gatorade. Figuring I might
have had a dodgy batch, I try the Staminade again with the same
result. What am I doing wrong??

put the water in the bottle first

Ha! I has to be the most simple thing that I haven't though of,
doesn't it?

It doesn't happen with the Gatorade though. What gives?

Old March 19th 07, 05:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Darryl C

In article ,
"OzCableguy" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good electrolyte drink powder that I can mix up into
a biddon, is easy to get hold of, works, tastes ok and doesn't cost the
earth?

The advice about Staminade is spot on but I will add my advice as a user
for many years for cycling and ultrarunning.

Go for the Staminade concentrate 750ml bottle. It is a dark/emerald
green and is lemon/lime fusion flavour. It makes preparing your drink so
easy as it dilutes 1:4 (although I am happy to use it at the rate of 1:5
when I am drinking it all day) I think the 750ml concentrate cost around
$3.00 - $3.50 so it works out at $1.00/litre. It does contain magnesium
salt.

Powders are a PITA. They are difficult to mix and must be kept very dry.

The Staminade concentrate used to be reasonably easy to get in both
Woolies and Coles but has become quite hard to source since both Woolies
and Coles began to reduce the number of line items on their shelves.
I have not seen any for a couple of months now (I buy multiple bottles
any time I see it at the supermarket) but suggest you contact the
company that makes it http://www.steric.com.au and force them to tell
you where you can but it in your location.

The other thing that I do is to reuse the Staminade 750ml bottles to
hold the diluted Staminade for two reasons:
1. It is made from PET and therefore indestructible.
2. It will not leave a Staminade taste in the plastic like ordinary
bidons do.

The only drawback is that the concentrate bottle has a screwtop rather
than a bidon top but you will get used to that.

regards,
Darryl
Old March 19th 07, 06:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 19, 4:35 pm, Darryl C wrote:
In article ,

"OzCableguy" wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good electrolyte drink powder that I can mix up into
a biddon, is easy to get hold of, works, tastes ok and doesn't cost the
earth?

The advice about Staminade is spot on but I will add my advice as a user
for many years for cycling and ultrarunning.

Go for the Staminade concentrate 750ml bottle. It is a dark/emerald
green and is lemon/lime fusion flavour. It makes preparing your drink so
easy as it dilutes 1:4 (although I am happy to use it at the rate of 1:5
when I am drinking it all day) I think the 750ml concentrate cost around
$3.00 - $3.50 so it works out at $1.00/litre. It does contain magnesium
salt.

I think the addition of magnesium salt to the concentrate is a recent
thing, I remember checking it a few years ago and it did not contain
magnesium salt. It was always in the power though. Thus, check the
list of ingredients.

Old March 19th 07, 06:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

"Bleve" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 19, 10:02 am, "OzCableguy"
wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good electrolyte drink powder that I can mix up
into
a biddon, is easy to get hold of, works, tastes ok and doesn't cost the
earth?

I use staminade, you can get it from stupormarkets (get the powder, or
if it's the liquid, check that it has magnesium in it). You can mix
your own which is a lot cheaper, but a bit of ****-farting around.
Gatorade and Powerade don't have magnesium (and I prefer the taste of
staminade, *and* staminade's Australian, if you care, the others are
coke and cadbury-schweppes). Endura etc are more expensive and harder
to get hold of.

I tried Staminade after I read your ABOC website about it, I found the
artificial sweetener did not work good for me, a few teaspoons of sugar or
mixed it with Gatorade seemed to work a bit better for me.

Old March 19th 07, 08:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Russ

DaveB wrote:
Bleve wrote:
I use staminade, you can get it from stupormarkets (get the powder, or
if it's the liquid, check that it has magnesium in it). You can mix
your own which is a lot cheaper, but a bit of ****-farting around.
Gatorade and Powerade don't have magnesium

What's the relevance of magnesium? I've always used Powerade because I
prefer the taste over some of the others but never looked that closely
at the contents.

It's an electrolyte.

It's what plants crave.

[http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=11594]

(basically Mg2+ helps your body use the other electrolytes more
efficiently )

Russ.
Old March 19th 07, 10:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article .com,
"Harng Goh" wrote:

I've tried Staminade a few times, and always end up with the same
problem - it doesn't seem to mix properly. Maybe it's something to do
with my bottles, my shaking technique (is it up down up down, or up
down left right? Hey, sounds like a Tekken move) or how the water
comes out of the tap in my kitchen, but it always gets stuck in a big
lump at the bottom of the bottle. I then have to break up said big
lump and shake for 5 minutes until the little lumps finally dissolve.
I finished the tub and switched back to Gatorade. Figuring I might
have had a dodgy batch, I try the Staminade again with the same
result. What am I doing wrong??

You don't do any cooking at home do you? Ever made a cake?

Like any mix powder, a bit of hot/warm water to dissolve the powder and
then top it up with cold water.
Old March 19th 07, 10:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Artoi

In article ,
"OzCableguy" wrote:

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I'll give the staminade a go and fall back on the
nuun if I don't get the results I need. I've been getting regular cramps
this last week so hopefully this'll put a stop to it.

It helps, but it's no magic bullet to properly trained muscle. Don't
forget those pre- and post-ride stretches.

hub replacement lucky_8 Unicycling 7 June 14th 06 06:01 PM
still no replacement wafflycat UK 7 June 9th 06 09:44 PM
DIY hub replacement Chris Smith UK 8 April 5th 06 06:11 PM
Elete Electrolyte Water (16oz w/ two 24.6ml bottles) - $27.99 Emilio Marketplace 0 June 25th 05 09:25 PM
24 Hr. replacement hell-on-wheel Unicycling 7 May 11th 05 07:51 PM