Ban bright car lights

Old January 5th 16, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Nick Finnigan

Default Ban bright car lights

On 01/01/2016 17:16, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 17:00:13 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 01/01/2016 14:56, Mr Macaw wrote:

Which existing law limits a filament bulb to 55W ?

The one everybody knows exists, which is why cars have always had 55W
bulbs, until the invention of super bright LED ****. If the law wasn't
there, cars would always have had random brightnesses, think about it.

There are regulations, over 188 pages of them, there is no longer a law
which says 55W.

It's not rocket surgery to measure how bright something is. Anyway,

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/...gs/R037r7e.pdf

Oh do be more specific....

You want even more details than 188 pages on vehicle lights?

certain things (like dangerous driving for example) aren't measured
objectively. It's the police's opinion.

If you just want the police's opinion, undue dazzle or discomfort is
sufficient.

It would be easier for the police and make them more likely to stop people
from dazzling, if they had a simple light detector to place in front of
people's lights.

They are more likely to stop people if they don't have a device which
makes them look stupid.

Old January 6th 16, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.legal
Mr Macaw

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 22:27:26 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 01/01/2016 17:16, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 17:00:13 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 01/01/2016 14:56, Mr Macaw wrote:

Which existing law limits a filament bulb to 55W ?

The one everybody knows exists, which is why cars have always had 55W
bulbs, until the invention of super bright LED ****. If the law wasn't
there, cars would always have had random brightnesses, think about it.

There are regulations, over 188 pages of them, there is no longer a law
which says 55W.

How can there be 188 pages of regulations yet no two car lights are the same?

It's not rocket surgery to measure how bright something is. Anyway,

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/...gs/R037r7e.pdf

Oh do be more specific....

You want even more details than 188 pages on vehicle lights?

Specific usually means LESS details.

certain things (like dangerous driving for example) aren't measured
objectively. It's the police's opinion.

If you just want the police's opinion, undue dazzle or discomfort is
sufficient.

It would be easier for the police and make them more likely to stop people
from dazzling, if they had a simple light detector to place in front of
people's lights.

They are more likely to stop people if they don't have a device which
makes them look stupid.

Why would it make them look stupid?

--
When I was in the pub I heard a couple of plonkas saying that they wouldn't feel safe on an aircraft if they knew the pilot was a woman. What a pair of sexists. I mean, it's not as if she'd have to reverse the bloody thing!
Old January 9th 16, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 22:27:33 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

I used to get £400 just for working Xmas day.
Uncle Peter used to get an orange and a colouring book instead.

I've just bought a CREE head torch for £7 (works as a torch, or a light for walking or cycling), plus £10 for two 18650 batteries. It lasts about 8 hours and is as bright as a car headlamp. Tell me again the point of wasting £400 on your lamp?

It is the best front cycle lamp on the market, IMHO.

Old January 9th 16, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 14:55:40 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 22:27:33 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

I used to get £400 just for working Xmas day.
Uncle Peter used to get an orange and a colouring book instead.

I've just bought a CREE head torch for £7 (works as a torch, or a light for walking or cycling), plus £10 for two 18650 batteries. It lasts about 8 hours and is as bright as a car headlamp. Tell me again the point of wasting £400 on your lamp?

It is the best front cycle lamp on the market, IMHO.

Why is it better than mine? I told you, mine is headlight brightness and lasts 8 hours.

--
The squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws on the other two hides!
Old January 9th 16, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Saturday, 9 January 2016 15:02:28 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 14:55:40 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 22:27:33 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

I used to get £400 just for working Xmas day.
Uncle Peter used to get an orange and a colouring book instead.

I've just bought a CREE head torch for £7 (works as a torch, or a light for walking or cycling), plus £10 for two 18650 batteries. It lasts about 8 hours and is as bright as a car headlamp. Tell me again the point of wasting £400 on your lamp?

It is the best front cycle lamp on the market, IMHO.

Why is it better than mine? I told you, mine is headlight brightness and lasts 8 hours.

If I have to explain to you why a £7 torch is not superior to a cycle lamp costing 60 times more, then there is no hope.

http://www.ultimatesportsengineering...6/six-pack-mk6

Old January 9th 16, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 15:16:06 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Saturday, 9 January 2016 15:02:28 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2016 14:55:40 -0000, Alycidon wrote:

On Thursday, 7 January 2016 22:27:33 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

I used to get £400 just for working Xmas day.
Uncle Peter used to get an orange and a colouring book instead.

I've just bought a CREE head torch for £7 (works as a torch, or a light for walking or cycling), plus £10 for two 18650 batteries. It lasts about 8 hours and is as bright as a car headlamp. Tell me again the point of wasting £400 on your lamp?

It is the best front cycle lamp on the market, IMHO.

Why is it better than mine? I told you, mine is headlight brightness and lasts 8 hours.

If I have to explain to you why a £7 torch is not superior

That's not what I asked, I asked what made YOURS superior to warrant paying SIXTY times as much.

to a cycle lamp costing 60 times more, then there is no hope.

http://www.ultimatesportsengineering...6/six-pack-mk6

If you know the answer, it takes less time to write it than the sentence you wrote above.
I'll make it easier for you. Pick from one of the following:
1) It's brighter.
2) It looks pretty.
3) It's more impact resistant.
4) It's got a badge on the side that gives you an erection and/or you can use to boast to your mates that you have more money than sense.
5) You can go diving with it and it won't fill with water.

Basically a torch is a producer of light. The only thing better about one torch than another is how bright that light is, how reliable it is, or how shock/waterproof it is.

Even if yours is a little better, you could have bought sixty of mine and used two or three of them, and had loads of spares.

--
Keyboard error - press any key to continue...
Old January 9th 16, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Saturday, 9 January 2016 15:25:20 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

Even if yours is a little better, you could have bought sixty of mine and used two or three of them, and had loads of spares.

Like I said, I could have bought 20 clapped out Fiestas instead when I bought my car and had loads of spares in case it broke down.

Old January 9th 16, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Macaw

So you're going for "reliability" then. It's a torch, not a car. There's **** all to go wrong and who cares if it does?

--
What if there is air in space, and the government doesn't want us to escape?
Old January 9th 16, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Brain

wrote:
On Saturday, 9 January 2016 15:25:20 UTC, Mr Macaw wrote:

Even if yours is a little better, you could have bought sixty of
mine and used two or three of them, and had loads of spares.

Like I said, I could have bought 20 clapped out Fiestas instead when
I bought my car and had loads of spares in case it broke down.

So you're going for "reliability" then. It's a torch, not a car. There's
**** all to go wrong and who cares if it does?

Did the dole pay for your torch, Dumb Guy?

use lights and wear bright clothes at night, how dim are these cyclists? Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 24 September 12th 10 06:28 AM
Bright Lights II: into the woods Ryan Cousineau Techniques 6 February 4th 09 02:19 PM
Bright lights Ryan Cousineau Techniques 76 January 2nd 09 06:12 AM
Bright lights [email protected] UK 18 November 8th 06 08:08 AM
yokel sees the bright lights! byron27 Australia 22 May 10th 04 05:00 AM