BV free bikes,,,

Old October 19th 05, 11:06 PM
DaveB

Default BV free bikes,,,

ritcho wrote:
DaveB Wrote:

TimC wrote:

One potential problem. The frame probably weighs 5kg.

Good for downhill fixing!

Can't be any heavier than the steel frame MTB I commute on. I think
that
weighs in at around 20kg all up (plus panniers and crap).

DaveB

20kg all up + panniers and crap? or is that including panniers and
crap.

Now that's a heavy bike alright...

Ritch

Nope that's excluding panniers and crap. I think it might be 19kg
(tested on the bathroom scales), plus panniers with laptop, a manual or
two plus clothes, plus me at around 80kg amkes for some hard work on the
hills of my commute (but some good speed downhill). Going from that to
the alu SS is a real shock.

DaveB
Old October 20th 05, 02:17 AM
slaw

David M Wrote:
David M wrote:
Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were

appalled
by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
kinda looked OK over the net...

OK, had a look at one today. My precis was that the wheels and tyres
looked OK though the lack of a rear QR hub has thwarted my plans to tow
a BOB trailer with it. The gears were all crap, the brakes are Tektro
V brakes whick look basic but OK. Headset, stem, bars likewise. Colours
are god-aweful, has pannier mountsb etc, but the big bonus is
HORIZONTAL DROPOUTS! Another good reason to change the rear hub...to a
flip-flop track hub!

$1000 well spent :-)

Cheers
David M

You can get (or at least a while ago you could) special nuts to use a
Bob trailer with such a hub. I think they were called Bob Nutz.

--
slaw

Old October 20th 05, 04:56 AM
Terry Collins

slaw wrote:

You can get (or at least a while ago you could) special nuts to use a
Bob trailer with such a hub. I think they were called Bob Nutz.

Hmm, if it is a standard thread, it shouldn't take too much to get some
nutzen made up for the purpose.

Old October 20th 05, 05:00 AM
David M

slaw wrote:

You can get (or at least a while ago you could) special nuts to use a
Bob trailer with such a hub. I think they were called Bob Nutz.

Interesting. Unfortunately mine isn't a BOB exactly but I could get
something fabricated that would do the trick I guess. Mine is a version
from Taiwan that you can see at
http://www.recumbent.com.tw/WEB-07/con01.htm which has some really good
advantages:

- hitch/yoke pivots to accept different width hubs
- foldable
- better floor material
- attachment to QR is much better in that each "hitch" has an inbuilt
spring loaded gate, thus not requiring the little wire clips on the BOB
- cost ($299 local price, Perth WA, as cf $499 upwards for a BOB with
no-one apparently stocking them in Perth)

I bought it from Mercer Cycles in Freo if anyone's on the lookout for
one.

Cheers
David M

Old October 20th 05, 07:18 AM
Graeme Dods

On 19 Oct 2005 21:00:48 -0700, David M wrote:

- cost ($299 local price, Perth WA, as cf $499 upwards for a BOB with
no-one apparently stocking them in Perth)

I don't know if you mean "stocking" as in "we've got half a dozen out the
back", but I've seen them at Bike Force in South Perth. Your version looks
pretty good, without the inflated BOB price tag too[1], I'll have to
remember it when I get round to buying one (i.e. justifying it to SWMBO).

Graeme

[1] Though having got one of their 3 wheeled prams for my son, I know BOB
build quality and design is very good (also made in Taiwan)
Old October 20th 05, 07:29 AM
Terry Collins

David M wrote:
Mine is a version from Taiwan that you can see at
http://www.recumbent.com.tw/WEB-07/con01.htm

Okay, looking at the pictures.
1) My thoughts would be to add a 1" x 1/2" strip to the front of the
lugs that go over the QR fittings.
2) Put a 1/4" hole[1] into the front bit of this strip,
3) then use to bolts attach it to the mudguard/rack eyelets.

[1] The bolts hols for mud guards and racks are not 1/4 holes, but
something else (metric?) I actually do this with my home built trailers
atm, but rethreaded the holes to match 1/4" hight tensile bolts. I just
purchased a box of 1" bolts and monbloc (?) lock nuts and regard the
bolts as disposable.

- hitch/yoke pivots to accept different width hubs

Is that flat strap construction stable (yaw?)
what loads do you carry in it?

$299 local price,

Good price.
Old October 20th 05, 09:48 AM
David M

Terry Collins wrote:
David M wrote:
Mine is a version from Taiwan that you can see at
http://www.recumbent.com.tw/WEB-07/con01.htm

Okay, looking at the pictures.
1) My thoughts would be to add a 1" x 1/2" strip to the front of the
lugs that go over the QR fittings.
2) Put a 1/4" hole[1] into the front bit of this strip,
3) then use to bolts attach it to the mudguard/rack eyelets.

Hmmmm...sure, but why do you suggest? It's quite rigid/stable, the gate
is kinda failsafe against bouncing open...

[1] The bolts hols for mud guards and racks are not 1/4 holes, but
something else (metric?)

M5?

Is that flat strap construction stable (yaw?)
what loads do you carry in it?

It's all ERW square tube...the heaviest loads I anticipate are a couple
of bags of cement...but generally just groceries and general hardware,
and hopefully my old dog if she's inclined to learn a new trick.
'
Cheers
David M

Old October 20th 05, 05:24 PM
Terry Collins

David M wrote:

Hmmmm...sure, but why do you suggest? It's quite rigid/stable, the gate
is kinda failsafe against bouncing open...

Err, wasn't someone talking about using it on a BV bike with no QR?
Woops, should have said it was to make it usable on a bolted hub
economically.

Old October 21st 05, 02:28 AM
David M

Terry Collins wrote:
David M wrote:

Hmmmm...sure, but why do you suggest? It's quite rigid/stable, the gate
is kinda failsafe against bouncing open...

Err, wasn't someone talking about using it on a BV bike with no QR?
Woops, should have said it was to make it usable on a bolted hub
economically.

Ah...that was me. Yours is a good idea, but I did email the
trailer-maker yesterday and they will have axle nuts to suit by the end
of november ...which is even more convenient.

Cheers
David M

Old October 21st 05, 11:27 AM
Terry Collins

David M wrote:
Terry Collins wrote:

Ah...that was me. Yours is a good idea, but I did email the
trailer-maker yesterday and they will have axle nuts to suit by the end
of november ...which is even more convenient.

Oh great. So much better.
I've spent the last two years trying to fabricate something for my own
home builds. Hopefully they might make the nut and hood available for sale,