low profile cross tires

Old October 30th 05, 01:24 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default low profile cross tires

Thanks yall.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old October 30th 05, 05:15 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article .com,
" wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
I'm looking for a low profile cross tire to fit on a road bike. I've
got some 700x28 Michelins I got over 10 years ago that work fine, but
when they go I want to replace with something. Tried a 700x30 Kenda
Kwick and it's a little too big.

Any ideas?

Michelins run at advertised size or bigger, so the current
Michelin 700x30 won't fit. The semislick Ritchey Speedmax
are/were maybe a little undersized, so the 28 or 30 variety
could work. These don't have a deep tread. Some Hutchinson
and IRC knobby cross tires are a little undersized, so these
might fit. I measured an IRC Cross Country 700x35 knobby at
30mm wide, but I don't know if there is a 28 or 30 variant.
A Hutchinson Pro 700x30 measures at 28mm (Open 4 rim) and is
a pretty good tire.

I don't feel that the Avocet Cross is a cyclocross tire -
it's more of an inverted tread tire for people who might
do a little riding on dirt. I would expect it to pack up
with mud very quickly in cyclocross usage.

I have been using Avocet Cross tires to race cyclocross. It is exciting,
but they only really work on dry days. Except on a very dry, very hard
course, real cross tires are the way to go. Yesterday's race was quite
muddy, and I spent some time lying on the ground.

Old October 30th 05, 06:39 PM
Mike Latondresse

Ryan Cousineau wrote in
:

I have been using Avocet Cross tires to race cyclocross.

Ryan did you get the Avocets locally...I have not been able to find
anyone who sells them.
Old October 31st 05, 02:46 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Mike Latondresse wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote in
:

I have been using Avocet Cross tires to race cyclocross.

Ryan did you get the Avocets locally...I have not been able to find
anyone who sells them.

I was given them by a club-mate, and I don't know where he sourced them.
They may have been original equipment.

Sorry,

Old October 31st 05, 03:25 AM
41

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I have been u sing Avocet Cross tires to race cyclocross. It is exciting,
but they only really work on dry days. Except on a very dry, very hard
course, real cross tires are the way to go.

On a very dry, very hard course, why not use slicks?t

Old November 1st 05, 10:20 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article . com,
"41" wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

I have been u sing Avocet Cross tires to race cyclocross. It is exciting,
but they only really work on dry days. Except on a very dry, very hard
course, real cross tires are the way to go.

On a very dry, very hard course, why not use slicks?t

Fair question. The best answer is that I got these tires for free, which
makes them an excellent value for all uses.

More seriously, I think the Avocets are a pretty marginal tire for any
sort of cyclocross, but I have used them with success. On a course which
had enough dirt and leaves and grass to recommend against pure slicks,
the tires worked very well indeed.