BV 4pagers in The Age

Old January 14th 05, 06:41 AM
hippy

Default BV 4pagers in The Age

"nitrous"
Nick
I don't see why it's any different to having music on in the car.

Mirrors, a steel cage and the fact that you generally don't get passed
by cars doing 20-30kmh more than you when you're in a car.

Doesn't you neck work? You don't need mirrors on a bike
because most people's heads rotate (yes, am I thinking Exorcist
right now). The speed a car passes is irrelevant - they are passing
you - you don't need to watch them do it. The steel cage helps
when you or someone else messes up - this can happen regardless
of you wearing headphones or not.

Ride with headphones for a year on the road and then come back here and
tell us about it. Somehow, I don't think you'll be able to...

Depends how well you ride to begin with. If you don't normally
headcheck (with or without headphones) you are gonna get into
trouble sooner or later.

hippy

Old January 14th 05, 06:50 AM
TimC

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 at 06:41 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
Depends how well you ride to begin with. If you don't normally
headcheck (with or without headphones) you are gonna get into
trouble sooner or later.

By the way, if I ever get flattened at the corner of High St Rd, as it
deviates just before crossing Warrigal - it was purely the drivers
fault.

Fricking fools who go straight ahead, without indicating (you have to,
since you are leaving the main road, contrary to popular opinion), and
from the right hand lane. I look behind me using my helmet mirror, but
there's certainly been a couple of close calls so far.

I typically start moving very wide of the gutter about 50m before the
deviation, just to impart some clue to the drivers behind me. If I can
see a luser behind me, I will move the the extreme right hand edge of
the left hand lane, which really ****es them off. But this strategy
has kept me alive against all the odds so far...

Thanks.

Kleeneness is next to Godelness.
Old January 14th 05, 08:57 AM
flyingdutch

TimC Wrote:

By the way, if I ever get flattened at the corner of High St Rd, as it
deviates just before crossing Warrigal - it was purely the drivers
fault.

Fricking fools who go straight ahead, without indicating (you have to,
since you are leaving the main road, contrary to popular opinion), and
from the right hand lane. I look behind me using my helmet mirror, but
there's certainly been a couple of close calls so far.

I typically start moving very wide of the gutter about 50m before the
deviation, just to impart some clue to the drivers behind me. If I can
see a luser behind me, I will move the the extreme right hand edge of
the left hand lane, which really ****es them off. But this strategy
has kept me alive against all the odds so far...

i get the same scenario for the same reasons but a the corner o
Bulleen Rd and Doncaster Rd. Definetely going on the list of things t
lobby Vicroads for. you might wanna do the same (get a mate to take
photo of you being tailed by driver)..

--
flyingdutch

Old January 14th 05, 09:53 PM
Andrew Reddaway

TimC wrote:

[...]

In places where the drivers/lusers might assume I'll take the left
turn-off, to clear up any doubt I often indicate as for a right turn,
even though I'm actually continuing ahead in the left lane :-)
Old January 15th 05, 02:17 AM
flyingdutch

Andrew Reddaway Wrote:
TimC wrote:

In places where the drivers/lusers might assume I'll take the left
turn-off, to clear up any doubt I often indicate as for a right turn,
even though I'm actually continuing ahead in the left lane :-)

I do the same but it always feels like a leap of faith. Head-checkin
and making eye-contact with my best (haha) RyanBailey-stare makes
diff tho..

--
flyingdutch

Old January 15th 05, 08:00 AM
Bob Mc Corkle

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

Andrew Reddaway Wrote:
TimC wrote:

In places where the drivers/lusers might assume I'll take the left
turn-off, to clear up any doubt I often indicate as for a right turn,
even though I'm actually continuing ahead in the left lane :-)

I do the same but it always feels like a leap of faith. Head-checking
and making eye-contact with my best (haha) RyanBailey-stare makes a
diff tho...

--
flyingdutch

trouble with where High St becoming High St Rd is that everyone drives so
damn fast and close and the road is narrow.

I am lucky I continue up High St and turn left into Warrigal. Though
Warrigal is no cyclists dream.

Old January 15th 05, 08:01 AM
hippy

flyingdutch Wrote:
I do the same but it always feels like a leap of faith. Head-checkin
and making eye-contact with my best (haha) RyanBailey-stare makes
diff tho...

Now you know why I have the goatee.. it helps with the "I'm gonna rip
off your head if you try to insert the car into me" stare.

Doesn't impress the ladies though eh warwych!

hipp

--
hippy

Old January 15th 05, 09:37 AM
Richard Sherratt

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:00:25 +1100, "Bob Mc Corkle"
wrote:

snip

trouble with where High St becoming High St Rd is that everyone drives so
damn fast and close and the road is narrow.

And most people in the area seem not to understand the highway code.

I am lucky I continue up High St and turn left into Warrigal. Though
Warrigal is no cyclists dream.

Not ideal, but it's not too bad until you get to Toorak Rd. A good,
fast surface. A couple of holes/bumps. The only squeeze is at Highbury
Rd. I haven't had any problems. I always move to the centre of the
lane just before Highbury Rd to stop the lane splitters from putting
me into the curb.

--
Regards.
Richard.