ouch!

Old October 26th 05, 05:27 AM
Llatikcuf

Default ouch!

Um, when did old GT mountain bikes come with carbon steerer tubes?

-Nate

Old October 26th 05, 05:28 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Llatikcuf wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

Most importantly...

*the bottom 3 spokes on the front wheel are visibly BENT*

I guess this answers our spokes hanging vs. standing debate.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 26th 05, 06:17 AM
Bill Sornson

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
wrote:
someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

That's not a carbon steerer tube. It's a threaded headset.

His chain didn't fall off. If you bothered to look at the picture
with more than a cursory glance, you'll notice that the chain is
still wrapped around the small chainring. As Paul H mentioned, it's
post-jump, as is the following photo I recently took with the same
phenomenon present.
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cr/chain.jpg

Man, /someone/ could use bibs and a jersey.

{sideshowbobshudder.wav}

Old October 26th 05, 06:47 AM
41

wrote:
someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

That's not a carbon steerer tube. It's a threaded headset.

His chain didn't fall off. If you bothered to look at the picture with more
than a cursory glance, you'll notice that the chain is still wrapped around
the small chainring. As Paul H mentioned, it's post-jump, as is the
following photo I recently took with the same phenomenon present.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cr/chain.jpg

That's hardly the same thing. To me, it looks like the problem is at
the rear cluster- follow the line of the chain towards the rear. That
ain't normal.

There are many interesting things in this photo, which unfortunately is
too low resolution to make out the details. For example:

-what is the black line going from his back knee forward?
-what are the two black lines crossing his front tire, between the
stem and his lower hand?
-what is that thing that looks like a straddle cable and yoke in the
same region?

It's not clear at all that that is a threaded stem. The resolution just
isn't good enough, but for example, there appears to be a stack of
spacers at the bottom. I know of no threaded headset that looks
anything like that.

Old October 26th 05, 07:29 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

wrote:
someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

That's not a carbon steerer tube. It's a threaded headset.

His chain didn't fall off. If you bothered to look at the picture
with more than a cursory glance, you'll notice that the chain is
still wrapped around the small chainring. As Paul H mentioned, it's
post-jump, as is the following photo I recently took with the same
phenomenon present.
http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cr/chain.jpg

Man, /someone/ could use bibs and a jersey.

{sideshowbobshudder.wav}

C'mon Billy, be nice!

Here's another photo of the rider:

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/uf05/images/IMG_4831.jpg

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 26th 05, 07:43 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

wrote:
someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

That's not a carbon steerer tube. It's a threaded headset.

His chain didn't fall off. If you bothered to look at the picture
with more than a cursory glance, you'll notice that the chain is
still wrapped around the small chainring. As Paul H mentioned, it's
post-jump, as is the following photo I recently took with the same
phenomenon present.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cr/chain.jpg

That's hardly the same thing. To me, it looks like the problem is at
the rear cluster- follow the line of the chain towards the rear. That
ain't normal.

Then I take it you haven't seen too many dirt jump photos. The chain
inertia can easily pull the derailleur completely linear.

There are many interesting things in this photo, which unfortunately
is too low resolution to make out the details. For example:

-what is the black line going from his back knee forward?

Rear brake cable

-what are the two black lines crossing his front tire, between the
stem and his lower hand?

Rear brake cable/housing and rear shifter cable/housing

-what is that thing that looks like a straddle cable and yoke in the
same region?

A straddle cable and yoke, most likely.

It's not clear at all that that is a threaded stem. The resolution
just isn't good enough, but for example, there appears to be a stack
of spacers at the bottom. I know of no threaded headset that looks
anything like that.

It looks like the locknut and cup. The diameter of the vertical portion of
the stem is such that it would not be large enough to clamp around the
steerer. I think it's threaded.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 26th 05, 07:58 AM
Michael Press

In article ,
wrote:

someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

Possible scenario:
Chain breaks.
Rider falls forward onto bars.
Steering column snaps.

--
Michael Press
Old October 26th 05, 08:04 AM
Michael Press

In article
. com,

wrote:
someone writes:

[...]

brake cable

-what are the two black lines crossing his front tire, between the
stem and his lower hand?

brake cables

Old October 26th 05, 09:04 AM
Bill Sornson

Bill Sornson wrote:
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cr/chain.jpg

Man, /someone/ could use bibs and a jersey.

{sideshowbobshudder.wav}

C'mon Billy, be nice!

Here's another photo of the rider:

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/uf05/images/IMG_4831.jpg

OK, a much more flattering shot. I take back the shutter shudder :-D

Old October 26th 05, 09:07 AM
Bill Sornson

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

Possible scenario:
Chain breaks.
Rider falls forward onto bars.
Steering column snaps.

Dentist puts down payment on beach house.

8-)

Ouch and the one-day trailer. Jon Senior UK 1 August 28th 05 12:46 PM
Found a couple bad bike crash videos. Ouch! Wasatch5k Techniques 0 June 27th 05 04:01 AM
Ouch - Cramp!! Succorso UK 16 May 3rd 04 09:03 PM
ouch!! Pain is terrible don't suffer we have relief notjioxceg Stacy London Off Road 1 December 8th 03 05:06 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!! Krashin'Kenny Unicycling 21 October 25th 03 03:59 AM