ouch!

Old October 26th 05, 12:46 PM
Størker Moe

Default ouch!

On 26.10.05 10:07 Bill Sornson wrote:
Michael Press wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

Possible scenario:
Chain breaks.
Rider falls forward onto bars.
Steering column snaps.

Dentist puts down payment on beach house.

8-)

Double ouch!!
--
Størker Moe
'97 GT Avalanche, '01 Trek Fuel 90, '96 Trek 850

Email Storker(DOT)Moe(AT)c2i(DOT)net
WWW http://home.c2i.net/storker_moe/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Old October 26th 05, 01:06 PM
41

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
41 wrote:

His chain didn't fall off. If you bothered to look at the picture
with more than a cursory glance, you'll notice that the chain is
still wrapped around the small chainring. As Paul H mentioned, it's
post-jump, as is the following photo I recently took with the same
phenomenon present.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cr/chain.jpg

That's hardly the same thing. To me, it looks like the problem is at
the rear cluster- follow the line of the chain towards the rear. That
ain't normal.

Then I take it you haven't seen too many dirt jump photos. The chain
inertia can easily pull the derailleur completely linear.

You missed the point: linear between the ground and where?

-what are the two black lines crossing his front tire, between the
stem and his lower hand?

Rear brake cable/housing and rear shifter cable/housing

Where are the corresponding ones for the front?

It's not clear at all that that is a threaded stem. The resolution
just isn't good enough, but for example, there appears to be a stack
of spacers at the bottom. I know of n o threaded headset that looks
anything like that.

It looks like the locknut and cup. The diameter of the vertical portion of
the stem is such that it would not be large enough to clamp around the
steerer. I think it's threaded.

No, the stack height is far too high for it to be a locknut and cup. I
think the seemingly narrow diameter is an artifact. But, the resolution
isn't good enough to be sure. If someone could find where the
corresponding caption or article is, perhaps someone could ask him, if
he survived.É

Old October 26th 05, 01:15 PM
m-gineering

wrote:

someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

Jobst Brandt

As far as I can make out this is a threaded headset, with the steerer
snapping at the end of the threads. Yanking on the shiftercable probably
pushed de derailleur in the spokes (Yes, that's two big ones for the
mechanic )
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old October 26th 05, 01:36 PM
dvt

41 wrote:

It's not clear at all that that is a threaded stem. The resolution
just isn't good enough, but for example, there appears to be a stack
of spacers at the bottom. I know of n o threaded headset that looks
anything like that.

It looks like the locknut and cup. The diameter of the vertical portion of
the stem is such that it would not be large enough to clamp around the
steerer. I think it's threaded.

No, the stack height is far too high for it to be a locknut and cup. I
think the seemingly narrow diameter is an artifact. But, the resolution
isn't good enough to be sure. If someone could find where the
corresponding caption or article is, perhaps someone could ask him, if
he survived.É

Queen Georgina,

Look at the surroundings. The rider's helmet, shoes, and socks all tell
you that this photo was taken more than 10 years ago. The narrow
handlebars and barends are old-skool too. And a GT "all terra"? I
remember that labeling...

While it's possible that this is a retro dude and the photo is recent, I
sincerely doubt it. And did you see the end of the stem fixing bolt
sticking up? If that's a threadless headset, I'll eat my hat.

Regarding the tall stack height, I had an old MTB with spacers in the
headset. I guess a few spacers was easier than cutting the steer tube.
But I'm not convinced that the photo even shows a tall headset.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old October 26th 05, 01:58 PM
Francesco Devittori

41 wrote:

[...]

Two cables are the ones you noticed. One goes over (and through) the
paper number (it goes through it just above the third number), the last
one is hidden somewhere.

It's not clear at all that that is a threaded stem. The resolution
just isn't good enough, but for example, there appears to be a stack
of spacers at the bottom. I know of n o threaded headset that looks
anything like that.

It looks like the locknut and cup. The diameter of the vertical portion of
the stem is such that it would not be large enough to clamp around the
steerer. I think it's threaded.

No, the stack height is far too high for it to be a locknut and cup.

Why? You can put spacers between the cup and the locknut. And anyway if
there is one I bet it's no more than 3mm or so.

I think the seemingly narrow diameter is an artifact.

An artifact? It is too narrow, period. Anyway looking at the handlebar
clamp and given that the fork is a rigid one, it's almost certain that
this is a quill stem.

Old October 26th 05, 02:04 PM
Peter Cole

wrote:
someone writes:

http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

That's what I love about carbon steer tubes, but why did his chain
fall off at the same time?

Jobst Brandt

Looks like his rear derailer cable is out of the frame stops, I'm
guessing his front is too. Probably jammed his chain as a consequence,
r. derailer cage looks far forward, yet chain is on inner ring. To get
that much chain slack he must be in small-small, unless the chain is
broken where we can't see it. Derailers would go to r. big - fr. small
if all cable tension were removed -- doesn't explain r. derailer cage
position, though.

Interesting photo -- I wonder whether it was a chain problem (jam or
snap) that sent him forward, breaking the steer tube, or the other way
around?
Old October 26th 05, 02:07 PM
Francesco Devittori

dvt wrote:

Queen Georgina,

Look at the surroundings. The rider's helmet, shoes, and socks all tell
you that this photo was taken more than 10 years ago. The narrow
handlebars and barends are old-skool too. And a GT "all terra"? I
remember that labeling...

While it's possible that this is a retro dude and the photo is recent, I
sincerely doubt it. And did you see the end of the stem fixing bolt
sticking up? If that's a threadless headset, I'll eat my hat.

Regarding the tall stack height, I had an old MTB with spacers in the
headset. I guess a few spacers was easier than cutting the steer tube.
But I'm not convinced that the photo even shows a tall headset.

The headset looks exactly like this one:
http://tinyurl.com/coy3p
Old October 26th 05, 02:58 PM
dvt

Peter Cole wrote:
Interesting photo -- I wonder whether it was a chain problem (jam or
snap) that sent him forward, breaking the steer tube, or the other way
around?

I think the front wheel is too compressed to be caused by a chain
problem. Heck, the wheel is still compressed and the handlebars are no
longer attached. And the back wheel is still off the ground. I'd say
it's a post-jump photo.

I agree with Phil... there is probably nothing wrong with the derailer
and drivetrain in this photo. The chain is just continuing its path
downward while the ground stops the rest of the bike. Again, I think
it's a photo of the landing from the jump.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu
Old October 26th 05, 03:18 PM
david

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message news:9BD7f.86$ZP1.36@dukeread11...
Llatikcuf wrote:
http://www.velonews.com/images/news/9076.13096.f.jpg

Most importantly...

*the bottom 3 spokes on the front wheel are visibly BENT*

I guess this answers our spokes hanging vs. standing debate.

Great observation - I did not notice that the first time I saw this photo 2
weeks ago. The bent spokes clearly indicate that jobst is most likely wrong
that a wheel hangs on the spokes versus stands on them. If it were to hang
on the spokes the hanging spokes may have yielded. Though, I am not sure
that would be visibile in the photo.

David

Old October 26th 05, 03:50 PM
D'ohBoy

snippage of JB's knock on full carbon forks

To add an N of 1 to the other side of this argument, I headered into a
ditch this year, with my full carbon fork taking the full force of our
combined 230 lbs at 25 mph in an instantaneous deceleration. Fork is
fine, but my collarbone has yet to heal (and won't, according to my
orthopedic surgeon).

Carbon steerer tubes, at least Alpha Q carbon steerer tubes, seem to be
quite durable.

D'ohBoy

Ouch and the one-day trailer. Jon Senior UK 1 August 28th 05 12:46 PM
Found a couple bad bike crash videos. Ouch! Wasatch5k Techniques 0 June 27th 05 04:01 AM
Ouch - Cramp!! Succorso UK 16 May 3rd 04 09:03 PM
ouch!! Pain is terrible don't suffer we have relief notjioxceg Stacy London Off Road 1 December 8th 03 05:06 PM
Ouch!!!!!!!! Krashin'Kenny Unicycling 21 October 25th 03 03:59 AM