BV free bikes,,,

Old September 29th 05, 06:41 AM
David M

Default BV free bikes,,,

Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were appalled
by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
kinda looked OK over the net...

My wife was thinking it looked like a good shopping bike for her
panniers which are currently mounted on a very crappy hybrid with fat
tyres. Even for the narrow tyres and un-dented rims as well as the
shifters assuming they're "rapidfire" type (her existing ones are those
horrid twist-grip things)... we were not planning on entering early
for the bike (short of cash right now) but it might be worth it if the
bike is any good.

Cheers
David M

Old September 29th 05, 06:45 AM
Resound

"David M" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were appalled
by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
kinda looked OK over the net...

My wife was thinking it looked like a good shopping bike for her
panniers which are currently mounted on a very crappy hybrid with fat
tyres. Even for the narrow tyres and un-dented rims as well as the
shifters assuming they're "rapidfire" type (her existing ones are those
horrid twist-grip things)... we were not planning on entering early
for the bike (short of cash right now) but it might be worth it if the
bike is any good.

Cheers
David M

I suspect the phrase "get what you pay for" applies here. They look better
than last year's effort but I doubt that they've put particularly good gear
on it. Buy an old road bike with Shimano 600 gear on it off Ebay and modify
the bars to bullhorns to make the riding position more upright.

Old September 29th 05, 06:52 AM
Kathy

David M wrote:

Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were appalled
by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
kinda looked OK over the net...

My wife was thinking it looked like a good shopping bike for her
panniers which are currently mounted on a very crappy hybrid with fat
tyres. Even for the narrow tyres and un-dented rims as well as the
shifters assuming they're "rapidfire" type (her existing ones are those
horrid twist-grip things)... we were not planning on entering early
for the bike (short of cash right now) but it might be worth it if the
bike is any good.

Cheers
David M

I talked to the guy at Phantom about this the other week cos I thought
that they were better than their press.. the original ones anyway. He
said that in his opinion they were just a few dollers off being a good
bike. Absolutely not kmart crap. Remember Phantom did the support for
the GVBR

The rear derailier was garbage and for about 10 bucks more would have
been fine. He mentioned a couple of other things. He felt that crap
gearshifting soured many on the bikes. And that the ones that still
exist had long been sorted.

So I am fairly sure that the new ones will have these things sorted on
em. If someone gave me one I wouldnt toss it. It would be my ride
somewhere where the bike might get nicked bike.

Dave

Old September 29th 05, 10:04 AM
Parbs

"Kathy" who may or may not be a David wrote in message ...

I talked to the guy at Phantom about this the other week cos I thought
that they were better than their press.. the original ones anyway.

Shirley you mean The Pegasus Crew?

Old September 29th 05, 10:24 AM
Kathy

Parbs wrote:
"Kathy" who may or may not be a David wrote in message ...

I talked to the guy at Phantom about this the other week cos I thought
that they were better than their press.. the original ones anyway.

Shirley you mean The Pegasus Crew?

In fact I do. Sorry Verbal dyslexia

Dave

Old September 29th 05, 12:34 PM
trek-man

Excuse the ignorance but did someone say free bike
whats the story there then.

--
trek-man

Old September 29th 05, 01:04 PM
peterlip

trek-man Wrote:
Excuse the ignorance but did someone say free bike
whats the story there then.When they say free, they mean it's part of the entry fee to the Great

Victorian Bike Ride. Last year was the first time Bicycle Victoria
tried it and they're doing it again this year. They're also doing it in
WA.
I got one of these from my brother-in-law who did the GVBR last year
(he's got a decent bike, so didn't need it).
I must admit, it is pretty crappy, but it served its purpose. After 20
years off the saddle, this was my re-introduction to riding. It served
me well for 6 months, and 1000 km, which was enough to convince me that
riding was not a passing phase, and I bought a road bike.
I still use it to pop down to the local shops when I can't be bothered
with changing shoes for the roadie.

--
peterlip

Old September 29th 05, 09:33 PM
Anne

Resound wrote:
"David M" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All - these free BV bikes, anyone seen the latest offering? Or got
access to a detailed specification of it? I remeber y'all were appalled
by them last year, but this year we're getting them in WA and they
kinda looked OK over the net...

My wife was thinking it looked like a good shopping bike for her
panniers which are currently mounted on a very crappy hybrid with fat
tyres. Even for the narrow tyres and un-dented rims as well as the
shifters assuming they're "rapidfire" type (her existing ones are those
horrid twist-grip things)... we were not planning on entering early
for the bike (short of cash right now) but it might be worth it if the
bike is any good.

Cheers
David M

I suspect the phrase "what go's around comes around is true"
http://cyclebetter.com/forums/96/ShowPost.aspx#96

Old September 29th 05, 09:42 PM
flyingdutch

Anne Wrote:
I suspect the phrase "what go's around comes around is true"
http://cyclebetter.com/forums/96/ShowPost.aspx#96

i suspect the phrase "feck off troll" applies

--
flyingdutch

Old September 30th 05, 03:37 AM
David M

flyingdutch wrote:
Anne Wrote:
I suspect the phrase "what go's around comes around is true"
http://cyclebetter.com/forums/96/ShowPost.aspx#96

i suspect the phrase "feck off troll" applies

hmmm...."please explain"...was there something in that link that I
needed to see?

Cheers
David M