is this an older model of the Campy Record crankset?

Old November 1st 05, 06:18 PM
geos

Default is this an older model of the Campy Record crankset?

Hi,

Could anybody help me to identify if the following crankset is
Campagnolo's Record older model or it isn't? The person who owns it now
claims it is Record, but there are no remarks visible and many pictures
I saw on the Internet show that Campagnolo Record crankset has inner
arms placed differently than this one.

The crankset in question:
http://tinyurl.com/77dyl

for comparison, modern Campagnolo Veloce:
http://tinyurl.com/9l5ug

and modern Campagnolo Record:
http://tinyurl.com/7hyqu

I would greatly appreciate any help.

thanks,
geos
Old November 1st 05, 09:33 PM
mark

"geos" wrote ...
Hi,

Could anybody help me to identify if the following crankset is
Campagnolo's Record older model or it isn't? The person who owns it now
claims it is Record, but there are no remarks visible and many pictures I
saw on the Internet show that Campagnolo Record crankset has inner arms
placed differently than this one.

The crankset in question:
http://tinyurl.com/77dyl

for comparison, modern Campagnolo Veloce:
http://tinyurl.com/9l5ug

and modern Campagnolo Record:
http://tinyurl.com/7hyqu

I would greatly appreciate any help.

thanks,
geos

My 1988 C-Record crankset had a 4 armed spider with the 5th chainring bolt
being concealed behind the crank arm itself, just like your photo of a
modern Campagnolo Record. So I'm going to guess that a 4 armed spider has
been one hall mark of Campagnolo's best / highest priced crankset since at
least the late 1980s. Also, my 1988 C-Record crankset had a much nicer
finish than your photo, even after 10 years of scuffing and general wear and
tear. In other words, no, the crankset in the photo does not appear to be an
older Record crankset, but a distinctly lower priced model.
--
mark

Old November 1st 05, 11:24 PM
Patrick W

My 1988 C-Record crankset had a 4 armed spider with the 5th chainring bolt
being concealed behind the crank arm itself, just like your photo of a
modern Campagnolo Record. So I'm going to guess that a 4 armed spider has
been one hall mark of Campagnolo's best / highest priced crankset since at
least the late 1980s. Also, my 1988 C-Record crankset had a much nicer
finish than your photo, even after 10 years of scuffing and general wear
and tear. In other words, no, the crankset in the photo does not appear to
be an older Record crankset, but a distinctly lower priced model.
--
mark

I have a circa 1989/1990 Chorus set and it looks pretty much like that - the
5th bolt is not hidden. But there were not distinguishing marks or labels
that said it's Chorus. Just had the little shield on the crank arms. The
crankarms are also very curvy - almost a mild lightning bolt shape when
viewed fromt he side; I can't tell from that photo, but that set doesn't
look as curved as mine.

At any rate that set looks pretty beat up, so if the OP is considering
purchasing I'd skip it in favor of a new set from one of the lower lines.
Probably lighter and stronger nowadays anyway.

Old November 2nd 05, 12:09 AM
bfd

One question, does it only fit a single chainring? If so, it could be a
Record Pista (track) like this one he

http://www.yellowjersey.org/CAPISTA.JPG

If not, its probably an older Chorus.

Old November 2nd 05, 12:54 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

geos wrote:
Hi,

Could anybody help me to identify if the following crankset is
Campagnolo's Record older model or it isn't? The person who owns it
now claims it is Record, but there are no remarks visible and many
pictures I saw on the Internet show that Campagnolo Record crankset
has inner arms placed differently than this one.

The crankset in question:
http://tinyurl.com/77dyl

for comparison, modern Campagnolo Veloce:
http://tinyurl.com/9l5ug

and modern Campagnolo Record:
http://tinyurl.com/7hyqu

I would greatly appreciate any help.

thanks,
geos

Two things: The taper looks steep (ISO). The non-drive-side arm appears to
say "Campagnolo" on it, but worn away a bit. The cranks probably look worse
than they really are since the flash shows any hairline scratches.

Given those two facts, plus the fact that I know nothing about old Campy
stuff, means that I have no idea if it's Campy Record. But maybe my hints
might help others out...
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 2nd 05, 12:55 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

bfd wrote:
One question, does it only fit a single chainring? If so, it could be
a Record Pista (track) like this one he

http://www.yellowjersey.org/CAPISTA.JPG

If not, its probably an older Chorus.

There's a nubbin where the inner chainring would butt up against, radially
towards the crank bolt. But I guess if the OP measured the BCD and it's
144, he'd have the answer to your question.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 2nd 05, 02:10 AM
Jay Beattie

"geos" wrote in message
Hi,

Could anybody help me to identify if the following crankset is
Campagnolo's Record older model or it isn't? The person who

owns it now
claims it is Record, but there are no remarks visible and many

pictures
I saw on the Internet show that Campagnolo Record crankset has

inner
arms placed differently than this one.

The crankset in question:
http://tinyurl.com/77dyl

for comparison, modern Campagnolo Veloce:
http://tinyurl.com/9l5ug

and modern Campagnolo Record:
http://tinyurl.com/7hyqu

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Maybe it is an old Veloce. Look at http://tinyurl.com/dwcf9 .
Frankly, it looks Japanese to me, but then again, I quit
following Campagnolo in about 1985. -- Jay Beattie.

Old November 2nd 05, 02:38 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

geos wrote:
Hi,

Could anybody help me to identify if the following crankset is
Campagnolo's Record older model or it isn't? The person who owns it now
claims it is Record, but there are no remarks visible and many pictures
I saw on the Internet show that Campagnolo Record crankset has inner
arms placed differently than this one.

The crankset in question:
http://tinyurl.com/77dyl

for comparison, modern Campagnolo Veloce:
http://tinyurl.com/9l5ug

and modern Campagnolo Record:
http://tinyurl.com/7hyqu

I would greatly appreciate any help.

thanks,
geos

Not Record. Record always had the hidden spider arm, since 1985. I can
just barly see 'Campagnolo" on the left arm. It is Chorus, Daytona,
Veloce from 1995 or 1996/7..Certainly not Record tho.

Old November 2nd 05, 03:04 PM
geos

Guys, thank you for all the answers! Great help, I appreciate that.

cheers,
geos