BV Membership RIP / Insurance Cover?

Old August 22nd 06, 12:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Cheezo

Default BV Membership RIP / Insurance Cover?

I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign up
for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm still
doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste of $.

On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
organisation of Around the Bay last year.

Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance cover....
i don't need any bells and whistles.

I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
2. Damage I may do to someone else's property

I already have Private Hospital Cover.

Any help would be most appreciated...

Cheezo
Old August 22nd 06, 01:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Euan

Cheezo wrote:
I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign up
for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm still
doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste of $.

You think so? You think all that cycling infrastructure that's cropping
up around the state got there by itself? BV do a hell of a lot for
cycling and that's largely down to the membership base. I don't think
that's a waste of dollars.

What exactly were you expecting from BV membership?

On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
organisation of Around the Bay last year.

What disappointed you about it? I had a great ride.

Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance cover....
i don't need any bells and whistles.

I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
2. Damage I may do to someone else's property

Should be covered under your household insurance if it's any good. Also
consider Cyclecover. It's a household insurance policy for cyclists.
Lots of bells and whistles but it's the only one (that I'm aware of)
that actually insures you on your bike when riding which is kind of
important to me.
--
Cheers
Euan
Old August 22nd 06, 01:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Cheezo wrote:
I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign up
for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm still
doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste of $.

It's a shame you feel that way, some bits of BV certainly can do with
improvement, but on the whole, they offer a valuable service, IMO. Esp
with Dutchy onboard!

On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
organisation of Around the Bay last year.

What was wrong with it?

Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance cover....
i don't need any bells and whistles.

I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
2. Damage I may do to someone else's property

You want 3rd party cover, the BV insurance, as you know, does this (but
in the fine print, the excess is $1000, which they should be a lot more
open about).

Or, there's this mob :

http://www.cyclecover.com.au/

Old August 22nd 06, 02:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Cheezo wrote:
I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign up
for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm still
doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste of $.

On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
organisation of Around the Bay last year.

Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance cover....
i don't need any bells and whistles.

I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
2. Damage I may do to someone else's property

I already have Private Hospital Cover.

Any help would be most appreciated...

Cheezo

Try joining a club. I know the WA Triathlon association membership
covers you when you're out training which is when you're most likely to
have an accident.

Friday
Old August 23rd 06, 12:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

I'm assuming Dutchy will get onto this thread at some stage, so I was
wondering what the deal is with legal representation with BV membership.
I recall seeing reference to it in other posts. And I'm thinking BV
membership may be worth it for me as a commuter just as a form of legal
representation insurance.

DaveB
Old August 23rd 06, 02:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gemma_k

"Friday" wrote in message

Try joining a club. I know the WA Triathlon association membership
covers you when you're out training which is when you're most likely to
have an accident.

Your local cycling club shoudl be able to join you up as a Ride-it member
for $45/yr which has similar insurace. Join in October and get 15months
membership (it's a year membership term, expires 31 Dec each year)

Old August 23rd 06, 10:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Cheezo

Euan wrote:
Cheezo wrote:
I took up riding about a year ago and thought it a good idea to sign
up for Bicycle Victoria Membership but 12 months down the track I'm
still doing lots of riding but have found the membership to be a waste
of $.

You think so? You think all that cycling infrastructure that's cropping
up around the state got there by itself? BV do a hell of a lot for
cycling and that's largely down to the membership base. I don't think
that's a waste of dollars.

Maybe so but thats pretty hard to put a price on... and I read the email
newsletters and the magazine and can't really remember anything being
done in the Moorabbin area where i ride (happy to be proven wrong)

What exactly were you expecting from BV membership?

Clearly more than i got

On a separate topic, I was also HUGELY disappointed in their crappy
organisation of Around the Bay last year.

What disappointed you about it? I had a great ride.

Note that I did the 100km ride and REALLY enjoyed it however I was
pretty disappointed with the organisation for such a big event... - and
yes I know its a lot of people to manage but its not like it was the
first time BV have run the event..... my gripes were
* The Bib Saga. How hard can it be to place an order on time - or at
least have a backup strategy
* The toilets at Sorrento (near the carpark where the buses were
stopping) ran out of Toilet Paper and there were hardly any toilets.
Uncomfortable start to the day and lots of annoyed people!
* I was looking for the start line at 8:10am but was unable to find it -
there was a lot of confusion and eventually i just left with some
others... seemed hugely disorganised and the volunteers didn't seem to
be able to provide much guidance... a lot of people still don't seem to
know if they started at the actual start.
* Signage was Marginal in my opinion... The green on white signs seemed
to just blend in with other street signs... go for a bright fluoro sign
all the way
* I completely missed the lunch stop in Frankston... there were signs
saying rest break but I didnt see or hear anything saying "LUNCH"...
need to make it more obvious.
* "Show bag" could not be more poorly named... Just a heap of
advertising and Potato Salad. Honestly... that was embarrassing... I
like to think as bike riders we support keeping a clean env't. not
contribute to the masses of waste paper advertising... leave the ads in
the DVD maybe - or maybe stick them on the jersey!
* Too expensive considering not one cent went to the Smith Family...

Anyway, I can do without he advocacy, magazines, Great Rides Discounts
and 'Exclusive Member Deals', but I had a question about insurance cover.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good cycling insurance
cover.... i don't need any bells and whistles.

I guess all i'm really after is cover for:
1. Injury i may do to someone else and;
2. Damage I may do to someone else's property

Should be covered under your household insurance if it's any good. Also
consider Cyclecover. It's a household insurance policy for cyclists.
Lots of bells and whistles but it's the only one (that I'm aware of)
that actually insures you on your bike when riding which is kind of
important to me.

Thanks - will look into it
Old August 23rd 06, 11:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
vaudegiant

Cheezo Wrote:

Should be covered under your household insurance if it's any good.

Also
consider Cyclecover. It's a household insurance policy for

cyclists.
Lots of bells and whistles but it's the only one (that I'm aware of)
that actually insures you on your bike when riding which is kind of
important to me.

Thanks - will look into it
[/color]

CGU offer cycle cover through Cyclesafe, and QBE has recently upgrade
its bicycle coverage. Both, I believe, offer accidental damage and
theft cover wherever the bike is. Not sure about QBE, but Cyclesafe
will cover racing and 'pacemaking' (???) incidents for additional
premium.

Pat

--
vaudegiant

Old August 24th 06, 04:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
flyingdutch

DaveB Wrote:
I'm assuming Dutchy will get onto this thread at some stage, so I was
wondering what the deal is with legal representation with BV
membership.
I recall seeing reference to it in other posts. And I'm thinking BV
membership may be worth it for me as a commuter just as a form of
legal
representation insurance.

DaveB

he's a lazy pr1ck, so don't hold your breathe...

TimC can (possibly?) give you first hand (unbiased) experience of
that.
Basically you have full support of MauriceBlackburnCashman to kick TAC,
insurers,etc on your behalf.

Moorabbin, hey? anything in particular?

Flying"genie"Dutch

--
flyingdutch

Old August 24th 06, 05:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

flyingdutch Wrote:

Flying"genie"Dutch

Genie hmm.. is that a never ending packet of timtams I spy in your
panniers????

--
warrwych