BV Membership RIP / Insurance Cover?

Old August 24th 06, 11:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
daveL

Default BV Membership RIP / Insurance Cover?

DaveB wrote:
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:30:03 GMT
daveL wrote:
I've had more problems with pedestrians walking dogs without leads.
Completely unpredictable if the owner doesn't control the animal.

The dogs in the off leash areas I've ridden through seem to have
reasonable amount of sense. They don't run in front of me, and they
seem to keep an eye on me if I'm near them.

I find that if a dog knows you're coming (ring the bell, whistle a tune
...) they are usually sensible enough to get out of the way (and
frequently more sensible than their owners). Of course this only applies
to shared paths where I assume the dogs may be playful or stupid but not
openly agressive. Anywhere else I see a dog roaming off a lead I'll give
them no notice in case I need to sneak past or make a quick escape ala
American Flyers.

DaveB

Last week myself barreling down the shared path toward a dog (on the
left) and owner (on the right) looking at me dumbly and making no effort
to provide me with either side of the path to continue down. I slowed
down to almost nothing and weaved between them while they both just sort
of stood there and watched me.

To be fair though, it's usually the the exceptions that stand out. The
majority of dog owners I've come across have been polite and mindful of
other path users.

Rowing coaches on the other hand...

--
daveL