I'm restoring an antique BMX...

Old August 11th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

Default I'm restoring an antique BMX...

.... and know *squat* about that kind of gear. Anyone know BMX and
want to give advice?

Right now, I'm shopping eBay for a crank. Are the "spiders" generally
interchangable across crank arms? I see generic spiders for sale
without any crank mentioned. Also, it looks to me like the spindle
tapers are quite different in that branch of the industry.

Anybody wanna talk about matching crank arms, spiders, and BBs on an
old BMX? Actually, it's a Littlejohn tandem that I'm setting up to go
with us when we travel. It'll be kept pretty straight and level (as
opposed to freestyle, jumping, etc), but I kinna want it to be
BMXey... I don't think "BMXey" is in the dictionary; my spell checker
is havin' a cow!

Jones

Old August 11th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

!Jones wrote:
... and know *squat* about that kind of gear. Anyone know BMX and
want to give advice?

Right now, I'm shopping eBay for a crank. Are the "spiders" generally
interchangable across crank arms? I see generic spiders for sale
without any crank mentioned. Also, it looks to me like the spindle
tapers are quite different in that branch of the industry.

Anybody wanna talk about matching crank arms, spiders, and BBs on an
old BMX? Actually, it's a Littlejohn tandem that I'm setting up to go
with us when we travel. It'll be kept pretty straight and level (as
opposed to freestyle, jumping, etc), but I kinna want it to be
BMXey... I don't think "BMXey" is in the dictionary; my spell checker
is havin' a cow!

Jones

see what you can figure out from danscomp.com - it's bmx central.
Old August 11th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 07:49:39 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech jim beam
wrote:

!Jones wrote:
... and know *squat* about that kind of gear. Anyone know BMX and
want to give advice?

Right now, I'm shopping eBay for a crank. Are the "spiders" generally
interchangable across crank arms? I see generic spiders for sale
without any crank mentioned. Also, it looks to me like the spindle
tapers are quite different in that branch of the industry.

Anybody wanna talk about matching crank arms, spiders, and BBs on an
old BMX? Actually, it's a Littlejohn tandem that I'm setting up to go
with us when we travel. It'll be kept pretty straight and level (as
opposed to freestyle, jumping, etc), but I kinna want it to be
BMXey... I don't think "BMXey" is in the dictionary; my spell checker
is havin' a cow!

Jones

see what you can figure out from danscomp.com - it's bmx central.

As near as I can tell, the spider/single chainring interchange limited
by the size of the center hole.

Old August 12th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

!Jones wrote:

Right now, I'm shopping eBay for a crank. Are the "spiders" generally
interchangable across crank arms? I see generic spiders for sale
without any crank mentioned. Also, it looks to me like the spindle
tapers are quite different in that branch of the industry.

Today's BMX crank spindles are not tapered; this is to accommodate
widely different thicknesses of chainring and to allow easy adjustment
of chainline. The arms are fixed axially by bolts into the spindle
ends, then clamped onto the spindle with pinch bolts. A few use a
press-fitted, fine pitch spline that likewise does not have a taper.

Adapter spiders for BMX cranks are outdated but still available to
some degree. Since their design, if not their manufacture, is
contemporary with the prevalent use of one-piece cranks, they all have
15/16" bores (like steel plate chainrings or older aluminum rings).
More up-to-date three-piece cranks with 3/4", 7/8", 19mm, or 22mm
spindles are adapted to chainrings with 15/16" bores by the use of
small stepped ring spacers that are often furnished with both the
crank and the chainring:

http://www.danscomp.com/457004.php?cat=PARTS

Chainrings of newer manufacture (about the past 10 years) are likely
to have a 22mm bore and come with an adapter to fit 19mm spindles.

Chalo

Restoring Polished Ti Finish? David Peake Techniques 5 December 2nd 05 03:36 AM
Restoring a Long John cargo bike Christian Zickermann General 13 August 6th 05 02:33 PM
Old Bike Worth Restoring - Peugeot Orient Express Home User Techniques 6 June 16th 05 10:03 AM
Restoring gum brake hoods Jee Chung Techniques 3 December 21st 04 09:08 PM
Specialized Crossroads: Worth Restoring?? Eric S. Sande General 3 September 25th 03 03:19 AM