Yet more headset issues...

Old September 9th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

Default Yet more headset issues...

A 1" threaded BMX headset should screw onto a similar ISO fork with no
problem as I'm reading.

Am I right? Will a BMX headset fit an ISO fork? Never mind the frame
or the stem... just the fork. (It'll fit my frame and I'll cut a shim
for the other.)

Jones

Old September 9th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

On Sep 9, 2:10 pm, !Jones wrote:
A 1" threaded BMX headset should screw onto a similar ISO fork with no
problem as I'm reading.

Am I right? Will a BMX headset fit an ISO fork? Never mind the frame
or the stem... just the fork. (It'll fit my frame and I'll cut a shim
for the other.)

Yes; I have done this many times. Depending on what you have in mind
for the stem, you might have to use a top nut from an ISO headset,
since the hole in the top of a BMX headset is smaller than an ISO stem
quill.

Dia-Compe makes a threadless BMX headset, if that appeals.

Chalo

Old September 9th 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 20:00:49 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
wrote:

Yes; I have done this many times. Depending on what you have in mind
for the stem, you might have to use a top nut from an ISO headset,
since the hole in the top of a BMX headset is smaller than an ISO stem
quill.

I think I'll cut a precise shim and use the BMX quill

Dia-Compe makes a threadless BMX headset, if that appeals.

Well, yeah, but the bike predates that. If I were a stickler for
historical accuracy, I wouldn't be dropping a 'bent fork into it...
but I only paid 9 bucks for the fork on eBay.

Thanks for the help!!!

Jones

Old September 9th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

!Jones wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Depending on what you have in mind
for the stem, you might have to use a top nut from an ISO headset,
since the hole in the top of a BMX headset is smaller than an ISO stem
quill.

I think I'll cut a precise shim and use the BMX quill

It might be tough to insert the shim if the top nut is from a BMX
headset.

Shim stock .020" in thickness should be OK for the job. Given typical
bike industry tolerances, .025" might be a better fit.

Chalo

Old September 10th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 22:04:47 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
wrote:

It might be tough to insert the shim if the top nut is from a BMX
headset.

I'll turn it and JB weld it in before I install the fork... famous
last words: "Don't worry; I do this all the time!"

(Usually followed by a loud crash.)

Chain Issues Paulo Matos UK 6 July 23rd 07 12:22 PM
Weight Issues ktm13 Unicycling 23 January 14th 07 11:51 PM
Integrated Headset Fork on Standard Headset C.H. Luu Techniques 3 September 7th 06 07:11 PM
Issues, What Issues? Tom Kunich Racing 13 December 17th 05 03:30 PM
back issues of `Ride' - Issues 14 and 17 David Pascoe Australia 2 November 14th 03 11:31 AM