Brake lever play from side to side

Old November 2nd 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

Default Brake lever play from side to side

What's going on with the lever to my caliper brakes? My bike is now 12
years old and running better than ever. However, my right brake lever has
developed a lot of side-to-side play, as if there's a worn part inside. I
pride myself on doing a lot of my own mechanical work, but I've never dealt
with this particular problem. Is a replacement in order? That may be
tough, as they don't seem to keep these particular rapid-shift gear/brake
combinations in stock at the lbs anymore.

Old November 3rd 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 2, 5:55*pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
What's going on with the lever to my caliper brakes? *My bike is now 12
years old and running better than ever. *However, my right brake lever has
developed a lot of side-to-side play, as if there's a worn part inside. *I
pride myself on doing a lot of my own mechanical work, but I've never dealt
with this particular problem. *Is a replacement in order? *That may be
tough, as they don't seem to keep these particular rapid-shift gear/brake
combinations in stock at the lbs anymore.

Could be a worn out pivot bushing. What brand and how many speeds? If
it's a Shimano compatible 7/8, their Shimano ST-EF50 lever is a $25
cheapie available for both types of cable pull and works just great. I
like it because it has nice clear numbers showing the exact gear that
you are in. Make sure you get the right model.
Old November 3rd 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

What brand and how many speeds?

Sorry for leaving that detail out, but the truth is, I'm not sure which
model the assembly is. The brake lever/shifter end identifies it only as a
Shimano; however, the rear derailleur to which it is attached is labeled
Acera-X. I'd assume the whole system is an Acera -X, as it's on a fairly
low-end GT Outpost mountain bike from 1996, but that might be a naive
assumption.

The unit having trouble is the one that controls the rear derailleur (7
gears) and the rear brake. I can't seem to find an excact match online or
at my lbs. The one you suggested is close, but not identical. I also like
a long break lever, rather than the half-length ones I see on many mountain
bikes these days.

Best case scenario? I'd like to fix the one I've got, as this bike has
traveled many thousands of miles with me and I'm trying to keep as many of
the original parts in working order for as long as I can.

Tom M

Old November 3rd 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 3, 12:22*pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
[...]

Any seven speed Shimano shifter will work. If you get an independent
shifter, then you are free to get any style of brake lever you choose.
If you have cantis get "short pull" levers or if you have linear pulls
get "long pull". Without any photos, it will be difficult to see if
the lever is repairable. Probably not. These things are cheap and
usually not serviceable.
Old November 4th 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

Landlotter:

I'm not sure why, but several replies I've sent to this group - and to you,
directly - have not made it to their destination. Anyway, I tried to send a
picture of the component. If you e-mail me directly at
, I can attach the pic to my response.

Thanks. Tom M

Old November 4th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 4, 6:59*am, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Landlotter:

I'm not sure why, but several replies I've sent to this group - and to you,
directly - have not made it to their destination. *Anyway, I tried to send a
picture of the component. *If you e-mail me directly at
*, I can attach the pic to my response.

Thanks. * Tom M

Better yet, use an image hosting service like tinypic.com to host your
image and link it to your post here. I am not by any means an r.b.t.
expert on anything but being a smartass and taking this off-group will
do you no good. I still don't see why you are set against plunking
down $25 ****ing bucks and solving this problem.

Old November 4th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Papa Tom

I still don't see why you are set against plunking down $25 f-ing bucks
and solving this problem.

Actually, I didn't realize the $25 part you described would be compatible.
I thought you wanted to see a picture before committing to your solution.
OK...thanks, but never mind. TM