Campag Centaur - 9/10 sp compatability

Old October 7th 03, 12:46 PM
Drinky

Default Campag Centaur - 9/10 sp compatability

Assuming like-for-like with respect to gear differentials, does anyone know
if the Centaur 9 sp derailleur is compatible with the Centaur 10sp
drivetrain?

Old October 7th 03, 12:56 PM
Ian

Drinky must be edykated coz e writed:

Assuming like-for-like with respect to gear differentials, does anyone know
if the Centaur 9 sp derailleur is compatible with the Centaur 10sp
drivetrain?

If you mean, is it compatible with the 10 speed cassette then the answer is
no.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old October 7th 03, 01:09 PM
Pete Biggs

Drinky wrote:
Assuming like-for-like with respect to gear differentials, does
anyone know if the Centaur 9 sp derailleur is compatible with the
Centaur 10sp drivetrain?

The geometry of 2001+ rear derailleur models is the same so will index
correctly and there is enough travel. That only leaves the jockey wheels
(and jockey wheel bolts) and I've read conflicting views/reports on
whether 10sp jockeys work ok with 9sp and vice versa. You could try the
mech as is first then change jockeys if necessary.
Pre 2001 rear mechs are different so won't index perfectly. The
whatdyamacallit ratio is 67% vs 70% (or other way round?). I'm sure the
fugures are correct anyway! :-)

Front 10sp mech has an extra part that is supposed to help with the
narrower chain but I've heard 9sp front mechs actually work ok with 10sp.

~PB

Old October 7th 03, 01:23 PM
Pete Biggs

Ian wrote:
If you mean, is it compatible with the 10 speed cassette then the
answer is no.

Rear derailleur needs to be compatible with the shifter (and cassette
width) not the cassette spacing. Spacing between sprockets is always
irrelevent to derailleurs.

Campag may say it's not compatible but I don't think it's true (with 2001+
models). I've done the sums* and the geometry is the same.

* using cable pull and ratio data from the CTC "Beat the System" article
(kindly pdf'd to me from a member) .

~PB

Old October 7th 03, 01:32 PM
Ian

Pete Biggs must be edykated coz e writed:

Ian wrote:
If you mean, is it compatible with the 10 speed cassette then the
answer is no.

Rear derailleur needs to be compatible with the shifter (and cassette
width) not the cassette spacing. Spacing between sprockets is always
irrelevent to derailleurs.

Campag may say it's not compatible but I don't think it's true (with 2001+
models). I've done the sums* and the geometry is the same.

* using cable pull and ratio data from the CTC "Beat the System" article
(kindly pdf'd to me from a member) .

~PB

The cam on the hanger is different, I cannot see a discernible difference
with the jockey wheels even though they are different part numbers.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old October 7th 03, 01:52 PM
Pete Biggs

Ian wrote:

The cam on the hanger is different

I'm not sure what cam you mean but what difference does it make?

~PB