Bye Bye BMX...

Old October 20th 03, 06:48 AM
hippy

Default Bye Bye BMX...

After 14(ish) years with my Speedwell BMX
I decided to part with it. It has been sitting in
my garage and I really didn't ride it any more
due to its small size.
I decided to give it away to the special school
where my Mum has worked. If they don't use
it, they can sell it at a garage sale to raise
money for the kids at the school.
Now, we are talking about a $150 bike 10
years ago. This thing would probably sell for
$20 at a garage sale, but it was worth a great
deal more to me.. I loved that chrome beast!
I never let anyone else touch it and rode
everywhere on it when I was a kid, until I
got a racer. But even with the racer I still
used the bmx heaps - racers are crap for
off-road riding :-)
I didn't want to sell it so I asked Mum if the
school could use it, she said "yep" so I sent
it up. This post is just to say...

"Bye Bye BMX"

I would like to call for 1 minute silence to
for us all to remember our precious childhood
bikes or rides that have fallen in the line of duty.

hippy
- At least the scars will never leave me :-)

Old October 20th 03, 07:14 AM
Tim Jones

"hippy" wrote in message
[...]

My favourite bike of childhood was my full suspension moto-cross style bike
(c1983).

I saved up my half of the $120 for about 8 months (my parents paid the other
half). I rode it for a long time, and did not tire of it until I grew out of
it, and got a 10 spd racer.

I even got $50 for it in 1989!

Goodbye to all my old bikes and non-motorised vehicles:

1. Yellow pedal car (1975)
2. Red cruiser (1976)
3. Yellow cyclops dragster (1978)
4. Black motocross style full suspension (1983)
5. Red 10 spd roadmaster racer (1987)
6. White peuget (sp?) 12 spd (stolen) (1990)
7. White peuget (sp?) 12 spd (1991)
8. Purple Kojima 14 spd (1996)
9. White Wheeler 14 spd (1997)
10. Black Giant 24 spd MTB (2003)

Tim

Old October 21st 03, 03:09 AM
cfsmtb

Hippy wrote:
"Bye Bye BMX" I would like to call for 1 minute silence to for us all to
remember our precious childhood bikes or rides that have fallen in the
line of duty.

Incorrect answer, wrong approach. NEVER THROW OUT ANYTHING. Especially
old bike stuff. Might come in handy one day. I've built up a old BMX
partially in homage to Nicole Kidman, a hero from my teenage years.
We're got so much in common, same colouring, hair, age etc, except she's
two foot taller.

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Old October 21st 03, 04:29 AM
hippy

"cfsmtb" wrote in message
Incorrect answer, wrong approach. NEVER THROW OUT ANYTHING.

Nah, I'd been hanging onto this bike for YEARS as it was.
I finally "built a bridge and got over it" and wanted it to be
useful to someone who might appreciate it rather than have
it die a slow death in my garage. Euthanasia(sp?) without
the actual death bit. :-)
It would have wanted it this way... ;-)
As far as old stuff coming in handy - I can always find that
in garage sales, bike shop bins, etc.

Especially old bike stuff. Might come in handy one day. I've built up

a old BMX
partially in homage to Nicole Kidman, a hero from my teenage years.
We're got so much in common, same colouring, hair, age etc, except

she's
two foot taller.

Hey, do you know where I can get a copy of BMX Bandits?!?
Does anyone know if it has been released on DVD?
I've been trying to find it for aaaaaaages!

hippy
"No, I can't remember a damn thing about it!"

Old October 21st 03, 05:18 AM
Deep Freud Moors

cfsmtb wrote in message
Hippy wrote:
"Bye Bye BMX" I would like to call for 1 minute silence to for us all

remember our precious childhood bikes or rides that have fallen in the
line of duty.

Incorrect answer, wrong approach. NEVER THROW OUT ANYTHING. Especially
old bike stuff. Might come in handy one day. I've built up a old BMX
partially in homage to Nicole Kidman, a hero from my teenage years.
We're got so much in common, same colouring, hair, age etc, except she's
two foot taller.

I watched BMX Bandits again a few months back, and WHOAAAH, it's the
corniest of all!!!!

--
life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Spending it escaping reality seems to be a popular pastime.
---
DFM

Old October 21st 03, 11:44 PM
Ben Elliston

"hippy" writes:

Hey, do you know where I can get a copy of BMX Bandits?!?
Does anyone know if it has been released on DVD?
I've been trying to find it for aaaaaaages!

I bought a classic BMX book off eBay a couple of years ago called "BMX
Down Under". It even has pictures of Stu Thompson at the Liverpool
Raceway in the early 80s!

Ben