Priority Arrow Right Of Way

Old November 11th 04, 03:48 PM
Jack Ouzzi

On 11 Nov 2004 15:07:42 +0000 (GMT), (Alan
Braggins) wrote:

In article 1100180934.FhmfV61tt/rTq6sNMyy56Q@teranews, Jack Ouzzi wrote:
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

If "room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways" means "room for
4x4 and cyclist to pass each other safely", does either of them have
to wait?

But otherwise, as other people have said, legally the cyclist has right
of way, in practice you assume the driver will proceed until you see
them stop.

Well this 4x4 driver adopted the middle of the road (bridge) position,
that I had already entered, and proceeded with the usual F... You I'm
coming through anyway' attitude, and nearly made a top coat of human
and aluminium on the side of the said bridge. He approched so fast it
just really took me by suprise, and not a lot usually catches me out.

Mind you I do live and cycle in Lincolnshire where rules and signs of
the road, courtesy, signalling and general prudent driving still need
to be learnt by the Fenland Flyers. We are however OK on speed though
!!

Old November 11th 04, 04:29 PM
Peter Amey

Alan Braggins wrote:
[snip]

If "room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways" means "room for
4x4 and cyclist to pass each other safely", does either of them have
to wait?

Reasonable but for the fact this requires the cyclist to show trust in
the ability of the 4x4 driver who has just demonstrated that they don't
know the highway code and don't obey road signs. Somehow I never feel
very confident about this.

I try and aim right between their eyes while keeping an escape route open.

But otherwise, as other people have said, legally the cyclist has right
of way, in practice you assume the driver will proceed until you see
them stop.

But aiming between their eyes does encourage them to stop.

Peter

Old November 11th 04, 04:31 PM
Jack Ouzzi

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:29:46 +0000, Peter Amey
wrote:

Alan Braggins wrote:
[snip]

If "room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways" means "room for
4x4 and cyclist to pass each other safely", does either of them have
to wait?

Reasonable but for the fact this requires the cyclist to show trust in
the ability of the 4x4 driver who has just demonstrated that they don't
know the highway code and don't obey road signs. Somehow I never feel
very confident about this.

I try and aim right between their eyes while keeping an escape route open.

But otherwise, as other people have said, legally the cyclist has right
of way, in practice you assume the driver will proceed until you see
them stop.

But aiming between their eyes does encourage them to stop.

What, with an Armalite ??
Old November 11th 04, 05:06 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Paul - xxx" typed

Jack Ouzzi vaguely muttered something like ...
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

The cycle has the right of way, the other vehicle, whatever type, should
give way.

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

Yes.

Yes but you'll be more likely to see a flying pig than get conceded your
rightful right of way by an 'important' motorist.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 11th 04, 05:34 PM
Paul - xxx

Helen Deborah Vecht vaguely muttered something like ...
"Paul - xxx" typed

Jack Ouzzi vaguely muttered something like ...
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

The cycle has the right of way, the other vehicle, whatever type, should
give way.

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

Yes.

Yes but you'll be more likely to see a flying pig than get conceded your
rightful right of way by an 'important' motorist.

Happens to me all the time around here .. whether I'm on the bike,
motorbike, wifes car or 4x4 ..

I stop when I should, and I make it plain, by road positioning, that others
should too .. if they don't, I wait in the middle of the road until they do.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Old November 11th 04, 05:41 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , Peter Amey wrote:
Alan Braggins wrote:
[snip]

If "room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways" means "room for
4x4 and cyclist to pass each other safely", does either of them have
to wait?

Reasonable but for the fact this requires the cyclist to show trust in
the ability of the 4x4 driver who has just demonstrated that they don't
know the highway code and don't obey road signs.

_If_ there is room for him to pass a cyclist safely, I don't think
not waiting for the cyclist (and keeping over to his side of the road)
does demonstrate that. I don't think "allowing to pass safely" is a
case of "not giving way to". (That now appears to be irrelevent to the
actual situation faced by the original poster - no surprises there then.)

Old November 11th 04, 05:43 PM
Simon Mason

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

Yes but you'll be more likely to see a flying pig than get conceded your
rightful right of way by an 'important' motorist.

Especially in Barnet ;-)

--
Simon M.

Old November 11th 04, 05:51 PM
Nathaniel Porter

Now with added reply goodness...

"Nathaniel Porter" wrote in message

"Jack Ouzzi" wrote in message
Narrow bridge, room for vehicle and cyclist to pass two ways, but not
two vehicles (cars) signed priority system in place.

Cyclist has large white arrow (priority) 4x4 driver has small red
arrow (give way) WHO LEGALLY has the right to proceed, and WHO LEGALLY
is required to wait (or give way) ?

The motorist must give way to the cyclist in this instance.

If the motorist were to proceed slowly, cautiously, and gave you enough
space to pass safely (which sounds possible from your description), that
could arguably be called giving way - however this would require such a
degree of cooperation that 1) it would be extremely unlikely, given today's
selfish road users and b)it would probably be easier for the motorist to
wait (assuming he was a considerate type - if he wasn't it'd have bombed it
through staright away)

But as others say- the main thing is to be defensive. Right of way is not
something worth dying over.

Is a bicycle a 'vehicle' ??

Yes

Old November 11th 04, 07:39 PM
Danny Colyer

Jack Ouzzi wrote:
Well this 4x4 driver adopted the middle of the road (bridge) position,
that I had already entered, and proceeded with the usual F... You I'm
coming through anyway' attitude, and nearly made a top coat of human
and aluminium on the side of the said bridge. He approched so fast it
just really took me by suprise, and not a lot usually catches me out.

You *really* need an Air Zound (unless you're riding drops, in which
case you may not be able to mount it in a useable position).

URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/