Beating a NYC bike traffic ticket on a technicality

Old November 19th 03, 03:40 AM
Buck

Default Beating a NYC bike traffic ticket on a technicality

"Ken [NY)" wrote in message

Not to nitpick, but courts have allowed the reflection of red
lights on the shades of the lower lights of a traffic control device.
That can be seen from the sides so the officer need not see the actual
red light.

Many cities now install a small light on the pole which indicates when the
signal is red. The police can be sitting anywhere in the intersection and
know which lights are red and which are not.

-Buck

Old November 19th 03, 09:59 AM
Ed Ravin

From somewhere in cyberspace, "dlakey" said:
As many of you know, I recently received a traffic citation for riding my
bicycle on the road here in Jonesboro Arkansas. Well the first thing the
young whipper snapper officer demanded when he got out of his car was my
drivers license. I really wonder what he would have done to me if I hadn't
of produced my drivers licenses. I imagine he would have followed through
with his threats and hauled me to jail for disorderly conduct.

Inappropriate threats by an officer and stopping you for something that's
legal are grounds for complaint, at least over here in NYC. Though I
suspect you'd get the same results as you would here (i.e. pfuiit), at
least your complaint would go on record and the cop might (but only might)
think twice about harassing the next cyclist he sees. Assuming the
incident was recent enough, I hope you will file a complaint.

BTW, the officer should have accepted alternate forms of ID, not just a
driver's license, assuming you had something on you. I've shown a utility
bill in the past (with my name and address) to a hostile NYC officer for
ID, and it was accepted.
--
eravin@ | Grief can take care of itself; but to get the full
panix.com | value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.
Old November 19th 03, 02:39 PM
AMH

"Ken [NY)" wrote in message . ..
On 17 Nov 2003 13:54:42 -0800, (AMH)
wrote:

JoeD wrote in message nk.net...
A number of people have mis-quoting me.

I never stated that the the SUV nearly ran me over or that I was waiting
in the intersection.

I waited within the pedestrian crossing watching the SUV running the red
light 25 feet in front of the cross.

I have been told that officers have a more difficult time getting
"convictions" on red light infractions if they can't see the red light
the driver is going through. IE. they need to be behind the driver to
see the condition of the light.

Not to nitpick, but courts have allowed the reflection of red
lights on the shades of the lower lights of a traffic control device.
That can be seen from the sides so the officer need not see the actual
red light.

I don't doubt it. But if I were looking to give out tickets I'd opt
for the one with the least to explain if it ends up in court. Of
course this brings up the whole issue of getting the wrong citation in
the first place.

Boils down to this sometimes you can find numerous reasons to choose
one thing or another. And sometimes choosing the team with the colors
you like best will work better in choosing which team to bet on. Cop
saw a situation and made a decision, mayhem ensues.

Andy

Cordially,
Ken (NY)
Chairman,
Department Of Redundancy Department

If you want to be Chairman of the DORD then you really should put (NY,
NY).

___________________________________
email:
http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are
too high today and tax revenues are too low
and the soundest way to raise revenues in
the long run is to cut rates now. "
--President John F. Kennedy, speech to NY Economic Club, 1962

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
A: Telling your parents you?re gay.

Old November 20th 03, 04:04 PM
Ken [NY)

On 19 Nov 2003 06:39:23 -0800, (AMH)
wrote:

Ken (NY)
Chairman,
Department Of Redundancy Department

If you want to be Chairman of the DORD then you really should put (NY,
NY).

Good point.

Ken (NY)
Chairman,
Department Of Redundancy Department
___________________________________
email:
http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

"When ye encounter the infidels, strike off
their heads till ye have made a great slaughter
among them, and of the rest make fast the
fetters."
--The Muslim Quran
http://www.truthnet.org/islam/Quran/Rodwell/47/

Q: What the hardest thing about rollerblading?
A: Telling your parents you’re gay.