Cycling Jackets

Old December 28th 03, 07:18 PM
Steve Knight

Default Cycling Jackets

They gave the 2004 Rapidfire a re-model, including "sealed" zippers. I
haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on whether or not it improved.
Stupidly, they moved the rear pocket to double hip pockets and eliminated
the fold-up tail. Also, they removed the breast pockets/vents and
elasticized the wrists and drawstringed the waist.

I bought last years model (G) as I wanted the breast vents the tail seems handy
too.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old December 29th 03, 04:53 PM
Terry Morse

In article ,
Badger South wrote:

Temps in the mid 40s, sunny, moderately to mild windy, over a
long-sleeve cotton T-shirt with a bike shortsleeve as the first layer,
and was perfectly comfortable. At the end of the ride, the biking
short-sleeved nylon lycra shirt was dry, next to the skin, and the
T-shirt was damp, but not soaked from sweat.

There's a saying among mountain rescue folks: "cotton kills". It may
not be a problem on most bike rides, where you're close to shelter.
But wet cotton and cold/windy weather leads to hypothermia in a
hurry.

You'd be much better served with a synthetic undershirt. REI sells
them at a reasonable price:

http://tinyurl.com/27977
http://tinyurl.com/23ksb

Save the cotton for the summer months.

Old December 29th 03, 05:31 PM
Badger South

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 08:53:21 -0800, Terry Morse
wrote:

In article ,
Badger South wrote:

Temps in the mid 40s, sunny, moderately to mild windy, over a
long-sleeve cotton T-shirt with a bike shortsleeve as the first layer,
and was perfectly comfortable. At the end of the ride, the biking
short-sleeved nylon lycra shirt was dry, next to the skin, and the
T-shirt was damp, but not soaked from sweat.

There's a saying among mountain rescue folks: "cotton kills". It may
not be a problem on most bike rides, where you're close to shelter.
But wet cotton and cold/windy weather leads to hypothermia in a
hurry.

You'd be much better served with a synthetic undershirt. REI sells
them at a reasonable price:

http://tinyurl.com/27977
http://tinyurl.com/23ksb

Save the cotton for the summer months.

Oh, absolutely, and I agree. I usually wear an old cashmere sweater as
the second layer, and eschew cotton. I'm planning to go by a couple of
the second-hand clothing stores this week to see if I can pick
somemore sweaters since my wife washed mine. g

I usually wear polypro, or polyester, or something appropriate, but
just grabbed a long-sleeved T because I was being lazy. Most of my
experience in layering and winter working out come from my days as a
10K runner, so I'm still "experimenting" with what works best on the
bike.

Thanks for the links!

-B

Old December 30th 03, 12:22 AM
Eric S. Sande

This surprises me. I have not used the PI jackets but the other PI
products I've used, shoes, shorts, tights, have all worn out to the
point of unusability in a very short time, and there were no price
breaks for lack of durability.

I wasn't happy with a pair of tights from them (or so branded), but
I did have a pair of gloves that lasted two years, that's good IMHO
for gloves.

Did you use a backpack, bag, or rack to haul your daily goodies? I
have found that bags and wrecks are what wears out jackets.

Backpack (small) with change of clothes, checkbook in case I need
a new jacket (ha ha), multitool, etc. The big/heavy stuff goes
in panniers.

Like I said I'm very pleased with the jacket. I mostly get less
expensive REI stuff, that mostly seems to wear well depending on
which factory is making it (no way to tell).

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old December 30th 03, 03:25 AM
Tom Sherman

Robin Hubert wrote:

"Steve Knight" wrote in message

I like the burley coat. it has vest zips and pit sips and a vented back.

velcro

cuffs. my only complaint would be the zipper is not covered so in heavy

rain you

will get a little wet in front. but the coat is light and does breath a

bit.

They gave the 2004 Rapidfire a re-model, including "sealed" zippers. I
haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on whether or not it improved.
Stupidly, they moved the rear pocket to double hip pockets and eliminated
the fold-up tail. Also, they removed the breast pockets/vents and
elasticized the wrists and drawstringed the waist.

It seems like these changes would be improvements for recumbent riders.
Burley happens to be making several models of recumbents now - any
connection?

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

Old December 30th 03, 09:56 PM
Kerry Nikolaisen

"jmk" wrote in message
Its JMO, but I would avoid the Performance jacket in favor of the Pearl
Izumi. In my experience its been hit or miss with Performance gear in

terms
of quality. With Pearl, at least you know who actually made the jacket.

JMO, YMMV.

"Kerry Nikolaisen" f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t wrote in
message ...
The xmas cash has rolled in and I am in the market for a cool weather to
cold weather jacket. I am thinking of 2:

Performance Illuminite @ 59 bills, or

Pearl Izumi Zephyr @ 59 bills.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either or suggest others in this price
range?

Riding in Missouri weather, if that helps.

Thanks,

Kerry

The only thing I don't like about the Zephyrr is that it does not appear to
have reflective piping at all. At least that's what I have gathered from
looking at both Performance and Colorado Cyclist online.

SinceI may be using this jacket to commute in the dark morning, I would
really like the added safety of reflective piping. I think PI has this but
it is in a more expensive jacket.

Kerry

Old December 31st 03, 04:35 AM
Eric S. Sande

The only thing I don't like about the Zephyrr is that it does not
appear to have reflective piping at all.

The Zephyrr 2 does not. It has a "reflectorized logo" in back
according to the websites you mentioned.

Invisible under a backpack, I presume.

The Zephyrr (aka I guess the "Zephyrr 1") does have reflective
piping around the pits and shoulders. It's really a windshell,
properly speaking.

I think there was a model in between time wise that had spotty
relective patches on the yoke area but I could be thinking of a
different jacket.

I really hate it when products become overdesigned, the original
is the perfect non-floppy cycling windshell, granted it is only
minimally water resistant but it is what it is.

So we're really talking about two different jackets.

--

------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

cycling and yoga Mike Kruger General 9 March 22nd 05 03:51 PM
Cycling splintered on Usenet [email protected] General 41 February 9th 04 02:54 AM
Cycling is dangerous Garry Jones General 375 November 21st 03 05:52 PM
Cycling Skills Course Roger Zoul General 15 October 16th 03 03:16 AM
New for me - cycling B Parker General 4 October 14th 03 03:03 AM