France - New Bridge over the Tarn River

Old February 20th 05, 04:33 PM
Rick Warner

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:29:19 GMT,
wrote:

In web site:

http://tinyurl.com/6zove

picture IMG-2127.JPG shows clearly that there are wide shoulders on
either side of two traffic lanes. Whether these are permitted for
bicycle use is unclear.

Those are access for service/emergency vehicles.

Yes? Are they permitted for bicycling? I have often ridden the
Autoroute bridge from La Fayet to Chamonix with similar emergency
shoulders with no problem. There are times when you must make your
own choices in these instances. The same goes for the Simplon highway
above Brig in Switzerland.

No bicycles. But I look at it this way: with the cars zipping by at
speed high above the valley, the old road down through the valley has
less traffic.

- rick
Old February 20th 05, 05:28 PM
Gary Smiley

So let me get this straight - it's one of the world's highest bridges, (but
not the highest) and you can't cycle over it (legally) unless there is a
special bicycle event.
Thanks, all.

"Gary Smiley" wrote in message
I might be touring in Southern France and I was wondering if anybody knows
whether it's possible to ride over that new bridge in Millau - the world's
highest.

Old February 21st 05, 06:14 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:28:26 -0500 in rec.bicycles.rides, "Gary
Smiley" wrote:

So let me get this straight - it's one of the world's highest bridges, (but
not the highest) and you can't cycle over it (legally) unless there is a
special bicycle event.

yep. just like a lot of other bridges designed by idiots,
including verazaonno narrows, the bay bridge, the chesapeake bay
bridge, and the prince edward island bridge. all designed by
cager-oriented engineers who should have known better.