Bicycle Recommendation for 9 year old

Old December 20th 03, 10:19 PM
Basia

Default Bicycle Recommendation for 9 year old

My son is 9 years old and I would like to buy him a good bike for him
to cycle through city streets and parks/cycle paths. Basically a good
all-round bike. Is there a good site for bike reviews for children?
Does anyone have any good recommendations? I live in London, UK and if
anyone knows if the models are available, such intelligence would be
gratefully appreciated. thanks
Old December 20th 03, 11:46 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Basia" wrote in message
om...
My son is 9 years old and I would like to buy him a good bike for him
to cycle through city streets and parks/cycle paths. Basically a good
all-round bike. Is there a good site for bike reviews for children?
Does anyone have any good recommendations? I live in London, UK and if
anyone knows if the models are available, such intelligence would be
gratefully appreciated. thanks

Children's bicycles such as those are not sold in the U.S., not sure about
the U.K.
Perhaps try a very small road bike (44 cm). These are "women's" sizes.

Old December 21st 03, 12:44 AM
Arpit

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:46:38 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
wrote:

"Basia" wrote in message
. com...
My son is 9 years old and I would like to buy him a good bike for him
to cycle through city streets and parks/cycle paths. Basically a good
all-round bike. Is there a good site for bike reviews for children?
Does anyone have any good recommendations? I live in London, UK and if
anyone knows if the models are available, such intelligence would be
gratefully appreciated. thanks

Children's bicycles such as those are not sold in the U.S., not sure about
the U.K.
Perhaps try a very small road bike (44 cm). These are "women's" sizes.

perhaps, but i have the feeling one of those would break pretty
quickly when he joins his friends doing bmx stunts
Old December 21st 03, 01:29 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Arpit writes:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:46:38 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
wrote:

"Basia" wrote in message
.com...
My son is 9 years old and I would like to buy him a good bike for him
to cycle through city streets and parks/cycle paths. Basically a good
all-round bike. Is there a good site for bike reviews for children?
Does anyone have any good recommendations? I live in London, UK and if
anyone knows if the models are available, such intelligence would be
gratefully appreciated. thanks

Children's bicycles such as those are not sold in the U.S., not sure about
the U.K.
Perhaps try a very small road bike (44 cm). These are "women's" sizes.

perhaps, but i have the feeling one of those would break pretty
quickly when he joins his friends doing bmx stunts

I've been pondering the OP's question and the applicability
of BMX bikes, too. I can see several advantages to going
the BMX route -- including the relative ease of bike
maintenance, the sizing issue, and certainly not least of
all, simply the cachet of it, from the boy's perspective.
I believe BMX is a wonderful way to get kids hooked on
basic cycling. Besides, it seems to deliver what kids want
in cycling, these days.

Subsequent, "serious" road bikes (or any other fancy form of
bike, for that matter) are for aspiring-to, which makes the
experience of the ultimate consummation of their acquiring,
all the sweeter.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old December 21st 03, 01:47 AM
Per Elmsäter

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Arpit writes:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:46:38 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
wrote:

"Basia" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Besides, kids need to learn that you can't get along with just one bike. Let
them start out on a BMX and then once they handle it nicely they can have a
MTB also. Once they can handle traffic it's time for the roadbike I'm not
sure but there used to be a ten year old age limit for riding in the city.
Can't say if it was a recommendation or law.

--
Perre

Old December 21st 03, 02:32 AM
Q.

I've been pondering the OP's question and the applicability
of BMX bikes, too. I can see several advantages to going
the BMX route -- including the relative ease of bike
maintenance, the sizing issue, and certainly not least of
all, simply the cachet of it, from the boy's perspective.
I believe BMX is a wonderful way to get kids hooked on
basic cycling. Besides, it seems to deliver what kids want
in cycling, these days.

Worked for me. Waaaaaaaaaaay back when I used to ride my bike all the time,
and getting more daring, doing jumps and tricks. I wasn't trying to emulate
BMX mind you, I was just doing this stuff on my own. Then when I was about
11 or so I got a nice Mongoose BMX bike (this was when Mongoose was a real
bike of course). Nice solid dependable bike. Not long after a road bike,
then my friend came back from California with the first mountain bike I ever
saw ... ahhhh, the 80's were a good time (c:

C.Q.C.

Old December 21st 03, 02:44 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Per Elmsäter" writes:

Besides, kids need to learn that you can't get along with just one bike. Let
them start out on a BMX and then once they handle it nicely they can have a
MTB also. Once they can handle traffic it's time for the roadbike

I like that, because it sounds so evolutionary, transitional, and natural.

I'm not
sure but there used to be a ten year old age limit for riding in the city.
Can't say if it was a recommendation or law.

I believe Vancouver BC has a by-law that allows 16" (maybe 20"?)
wheeled bikes on sidewalks.

cheers,
Tom

Old December 21st 03, 07:12 AM
Bernie

Tom Keats wrote:

I've been pondering the OP's question and the applicability
of BMX bikes, too. I can see several advantages to going
the BMX route -- including the relative ease of bike
maintenance, the sizing issue, and certainly not least of
all, simply the cachet of it, from the boy's perspective.
I believe BMX is a wonderful way to get kids hooked on
basic cycling. Besides, it seems to deliver what kids want
in cycling, these days.

Subsequent, "serious" road bikes (or any other fancy form of
bike, for that matter) are for aspiring-to, which makes the
experience of the ultimate consummation of their acquiring,
all the sweeter.

cheers,
Tom

Sounds so agreeable. If you mean first you can say "yes I can ride a
bike" and next you can look at road racers or hard core commuters or the
TDFrance or hard core randonneurs and say "I can do that", then sure,
this is a good thing.
I suppose not joking, now there are racecourse jockeys who first rode
Shetland ponies as children, and were stuck on horses and riding for life.
It makes sense to me.
Bernie