Cycling Jackets

Old December 27th 03, 03:31 AM
Gooserider

Default Cycling Jackets

"jmk" wrote in message
Its JMO, but I would avoid the Performance jacket in favor of the Pearl
Izumi. In my experience its been hit or miss with Performance gear in

terms
of quality. With Pearl, at least you know who actually made the jacket.

Most of my bike clothing is from Performance, and their shorts are made in
the USA. So, if nothing else is shorts and tights are LOL....

Old December 27th 03, 03:53 AM
R. Limbaugh

"Eric S. Sande" wrote in :
Do you really know who made a Pearl Izumi jacket? If the label says
"made in Macao", who really made it?

Kinji Shimizu, of course.

You really believe that Macao sweatshops are staffed by Japanese workers?
Or do you just think that all ethnic Asians look alike?
Old December 27th 03, 10:22 AM
Eric S. Sande

Do you really know who made a Pearl Izumi jacket? If the label says
"made in Macao", who really made it?

Kinji Shimizu, of course.

You really believe that Macao sweatshops are staffed by Japanese
workers?

Not exactly but the QC is there, I don't think old Kinji would have
let that slip given that he was/is a textile guy with an enviable
history of innovation. As Ryan says there isn't much to dislike
about Asian bicycle specific products these days.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PI products, I use the older Zephyrr
jacket with no problems. Excellent Macau manufacture, exact multi
row stitching, all quality manufacture. Five years old and no rips
or tears in daily use. I rate it outstanding.

PI has been around since 1951, believe it or not. They apparently
entered the US marketplace in 1981, you can do the search.

Or do you just think that all ethnic Asians look alike?

I can tell the difference between real estate babes.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old December 27th 03, 08:42 PM
R15757

Eric Sande wrote:

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PI products, I use the older Zephyrr jacket
with no problems. Excellent Macau manufacture, exact multi row stitching, all
quality manufacture. Five years old and no rips or tears in daily use. I rate
it outstanding.

This surprises me. I have not used the PI jackets but the other PI products
I've used, shoes, shorts, tights, have all worn out to the point of unusability
in a very short time, and there were no price breaks for lack of durability.
Did you use a backpack, bag, or rack to haul your daily goodies? I have found
that bags and wrecks are what wears out jackets.

I have had good luck with Sugoi, can't complain, and my latest jacket seems
extremely durable and effective, if not mysterious. It is from "Mountain
Equipment Co-Op," somewhere in Canada. Highly recommended.

cheers,
Robert
Old December 27th 03, 09:26 PM
Tom Sherman

R. Limbaugh wrote:

"Eric S. Sande" wrote in :

Do you really know who made a Pearl Izumi jacket? If the label says
"made in Macao", who really made it?

Kinji Shimizu, of course.

You really believe that Macao sweatshops are staffed by Japanese workers?
Or do you just think that all ethnic Asians look alike?

Kinji Shimizu was the founder of Pearl Izumi.

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½? N, 90½ W

Old December 28th 03, 12:01 AM
Badger South

As I posted yesterday, I had been looking for a cycling jacket, mostly
for use during rain (and wind, while I'm at it), and after reading
talk about a simple, cheap PVC rainsuit jacket/parka solution, I
picked one up at A&N by Columbia on sale for $19.99.

o PVC coating, med-light wt, over nylon (no 'mm' thickness avail);
o factory sealed seams (but not taped);
o no outer rain flap over the zipper (simple snap flap);
o one-way plastic/metal zipper;
o two circular mesh vents in the back under the cape;
o elastic wrists, with two sizing snaps;
o hood is integral with soft brim, no snap down capability;
o high collar with drawstring - makes a nice wind-break;
o two single snapped front pockets, with fold over openings;
o drawstring around bottom hem;
o color dark blue, (also avail. - dark green, yellow.

Since I wore this for the first time today, thought I'd report on it.

Temps in the mid 40s, sunny, moderately to mild windy, over a
long-sleeve cotton T-shirt with a bike shortsleeve as the first layer,
and was perfectly comfortable. At the end of the ride, the biking
short-sleeved nylon lycra shirt was dry, next to the skin, and the
T-shirt was damp, but not soaked from sweat. Got pretty good
ventilation by only snapping up jacket and not using zipper. I
couldn't have asked for a better outfitting.

Wish-list:
o 2-way heavy duty all metal coated zipper;
o Nicer cuffs, maybe with velcro to snug up;
o Detachable or roll up hood;
o Zippered back pocket(s), and/or add'l inside pockets;
o More colors (black, or 2-color racing colors).

(Note: on one episode of the Discovery Channel "Myth-Busters", they
tried to recreate the original escape from Alcatraz. In this escape
the prisoners used 'raincoats' glued together to make a raft. On the
show, they bought a dozen raincoats and glued them together to test,
and guess what? They leaked. Air was bubbling out everywhere. They
finally realized that the original garments were 'rubber rain coats',
with real rubber coating, -not- PVC, which they had. Finally, with a
little difficulty, they were able to find actual rubber raincoats and
the task was completed successfully. So beware, though water proof,
the PVC stuff is not "water tight" g.

I did find one rubber raincoat source:
http://store.yahoo.com/a1camping/twoprubrain.html

Hope this is of interest.

-B

Old December 28th 03, 06:39 AM
Steve Knight

I like the burley coat. it has vest zips and pit sips and a vented back. velcro
cuffs. my only complaint would be the zipper is not covered so in heavy rain you
will get a little wet in front. but the coat is light and does breath a bit.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old December 28th 03, 06:43 AM
Matt J

"Kerry Nikolaisen" asked
The xmas cash has rolled in and I am in the market for a cool weather to
cold weather jacket. I am thinking of 2:

I've been real happy with the Sugoi Evaporator zip jersey - not
waterproof, but with a longsleeve undershirt, good to ~20 degrees.
http://store.yahoo.com/racelogix/suevzipje.html
A little more than you were looking for, maybe.
Matt
Old December 28th 03, 04:33 PM
David Reuteler

Matt J wrote:
: I've been real happy with the Sugoi Evaporator zip jersey - not
: waterproof, but with a longsleeve undershirt, good to ~20 degrees.

second that. it's definitely good down to 20F as you describe and i like the
3 pockets in back. it's waterproof enuf for me (i'm not in the pacific
northwest) and it'll get drizzle fine. i've worn it with long underwear
and a l/s wool jersey underneath to less than 20F as well.
--
david reuteler

Old December 28th 03, 04:43 PM
Robin Hubert

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
I like the burley coat. it has vest zips and pit sips and a vented back.

velcro
cuffs. my only complaint would be the zipper is not covered so in heavy

rain you
will get a little wet in front. but the coat is light and does breath a

bit.

They gave the 2004 Rapidfire a re-model, including "sealed" zippers. I
haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on whether or not it improved.
Stupidly, they moved the rear pocket to double hip pockets and eliminated
the fold-up tail. Also, they removed the breast pockets/vents and
elasticized the wrists and drawstringed the waist.

Robin Hubert

cycling and yoga Mike Kruger General 9 March 22nd 05 03:51 PM
Cycling splintered on Usenet [email protected] General 41 February 9th 04 02:54 AM
Cycling is dangerous Garry Jones General 375 November 21st 03 05:52 PM
Cycling Skills Course Roger Zoul General 15 October 16th 03 03:16 AM
New for me - cycling B Parker General 4 October 14th 03 03:03 AM