Advice sought Sequoia or Highway one

Old December 31st 03, 08:33 PM
sdorrity

Default Advice sought Sequoia or Highway one

I am in the market for a new lightweight, fast bike, but I am reaching
that time of life when comfort becomes a big factor. A combination of
factors means that I am looking at a more upright riding position.

The two I have narrowed it down to a

Specialized Sequoia Elite Marin Highway One

does anyone have any particular comments on either bike?

All comments gratefully received

Regards

Steve D

Old January 1st 04, 12:25 AM

sdorrity writes:

Specialized Sequoia Elite Marin Highway One

I picked up a Sequoia Comp this past thanksgiving. I had previously
been riding a Lotus Excel (~1983). I test rode a number of bikes,
some steel, some aluminum. They were all a number of steps up from my
old bike, then I tried the Sequoia and just thought "I need this
bike!!"

It was incredibly comfortable. I can no longer spend large portions of
my rides on the hoods when on my Lotus. My back isn't what it used to
be. The Sequoia has a more upright position. Between that and the
wider bar, it just fit me perfectly (I'm 5' 10'' and about 173
pounds). My thoughts while riding up a hill during a test ride was
"I'm going to have to find a steeper hill."

I generally ride 18 to 33 miles a day four to five times a week. I
have a rear rack and typically have a loaded duffel on
it. Occasionally I'll use paniers. So far, I'm really glad I bought
the bike.

Hope this info helps.

Mike

Old January 4th 04, 02:59 PM
sdorrity

zamansky wrote:
sdorrity writes:

[...]

Thanks for that, I am definately leaning towards the Sequoia Elite. most
of the reports and reviews I have found are positive. I too have
problems, mostly neck and shoulders and have started using a recumbent
but its not the ideal stead for some of the riding that I do. The most
noteable being a trip to do the coast to coast across the pyrenees in
September. I have experienced the col du Tourmalet and don't relish it
on my 'bent, which is heavy, great for touring but.....

Thanks for the input

Regards

Steve D

Note: I am posting this again thru cycling forums as I don't think my
normal usenet feed is actually doing anything apologies to anyone
that gets a double post

sd