Shoes for Toe Clips

Old January 2nd 04, 04:36 PM
Robin Hubert

Default Shoes for Toe Clips

"frkrygow" wrote in message
Ron Linz wrote:

I'm looking for some shoes to wear when I ride my Trek 7300fx. I have

toe
clips and wonder what shoe would be best for this setup. I have been

riding
with gym shoes but want something with a stiffer sole. Most of the shoes

see are for clipless setups. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've got a pair of Lake shoes that I use for touring with toe clips.
Sorry, I don't see any model number, etc. on them. As others have said,
I simply didn't cut out the cleat "window" on the bottom.

These work well once I'm in the toe clips. The plastic lace eyelets at
the front of the shoe sometimes snag the toe strap on the way in. I
keep meaning to fix that.

Also, I found it helpful to chamfer the front edge of the tread blocks
(or whatever they're called) on the sole, to slide in easier.

Or you use a nice SPD-compatible touring shoe like the one's offered by
Shimano. Nothing to trim.

Robin Hubert

Old January 2nd 04, 05:25 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 16:36:22 GMT, "Robin Hubert"
wrote:

Or you use a nice SPD-compatible touring shoe like the one's offered by
Shimano. Nothing to trim.

You have to be careful to avoid ones with velcro over the arch of the
foot, though, as these interfere with getting in and out of clips with
straps. I keep one old pair of trad. leather shoes for when I ride
bikes with clips.

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old January 2nd 04, 08:58 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:59:12 -0600, Kevan Smith
wrote:
On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 20:41:33 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
from Disorganised wrote:
You can still get old-fashioned leather cycling shoes ....

Where? I'd dig grokking some.

Does "grok" really work as a synonym for "acquire"? It's been a few
years since the last time I read the book...
--
Rick Onanian