Disc brakes squeal due to loose pads?

Old June 15th 04, 02:57 PM
Michael Press

Default Disc brakes squeal due to loose pads?

I have Avid Ball Bearing Road disc brakes on my commuting (road) bike.
The pads have a little play in them - they'll rock about 1mm if you
push forward and back (along the axis of the bike, not in toward the
rotor) on the little pad mounting stems. (Avid tech support sent me
new pad mounting clips but it only reduced the pad movement slightly.)

Here's the problem - the front brakes squeal when the applied at any
pressure less than death-grip. Rear brake is fine. The brakes work
great, but the squealing is loud and VERY annoying.

Are the pads supposed to move that much? Is that likely the cause of
the squealing, or is this just the kind of disc brake squealing I've
read about on this NG? I recall suggestions about using mud on the
rotors to reduce squeal - any suggestions for that?

Thanks,
Michael
Old June 15th 04, 08:53 PM
SDMike

"Michael Press" wrote in message
I have Avid Ball Bearing Road disc brakes on my commuting (road) bike.
The pads have a little play in them - they'll rock about 1mm if you
push forward and back (along the axis of the bike, not in toward the
rotor) on the little pad mounting stems. (Avid tech support sent me
new pad mounting clips but it only reduced the pad movement slightly.)

Here's the problem - the front brakes squeal when the applied at any
pressure less than death-grip. Rear brake is fine. The brakes work
great, but the squealing is loud and VERY annoying.

Are the pads supposed to move that much? Is that likely the cause of
the squealing, or is this just the kind of disc brake squealing I've
read about on this NG? I recall suggestions about using mud on the
rotors to reduce squeal - any suggestions for that?

Thanks,
Michael

Have you tried cleaning off the rotors with Dawn and water? Sometimes when you
get oily fingerprints/etc. on the rotors is screws everything up.

If the Dawn + H2O don't work, then try some really fine mud. It may scrape off
both contaminated layers.

If you haven't done it, reverse the QR on the wheels so you're not tempted to
grab the rotor when you're installing the wheel in the dropout.

HTH,

Old June 15th 04, 09:21 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:57:43 -0400, Michael Press
may have said:

I have Avid Ball Bearing Road disc brakes on my commuting (road) bike.
The pads have a little play in them - they'll rock about 1mm if you
push forward and back (along the axis of the bike, not in toward the
rotor) on the little pad mounting stems. (Avid tech support sent me
new pad mounting clips but it only reduced the pad movement slightly.)

Here's the problem - the front brakes squeal when the applied at any
pressure less than death-grip. Rear brake is fine. The brakes work
great, but the squealing is loud and VERY annoying.

Are the pads supposed to move that much?

Yes.

Is that likely the cause of
the squealing,

No.

or is this just the kind of disc brake squealing I've
read about on this NG?

Disc brake squeal is caused by a high-frequency cyclic oscillation in
the pad/caliper and pad/disc interfaces; stabilize the former, and the
squeal will generally go away. If there is enough clearance for the
pad to move at all, there's enough motion possible to permit squeal.
Since the pad must be able to float a bit in nearly all caliper
designs, squeal is possible in virtually all disc brake systems.

I recall suggestions about using mud on the
rotors to reduce squeal - any suggestions for that?

Counterproductive even when effective.

I suggest going to an auto parts store and getting some disc brake
anti-squeal compound; apply it to the back of the pads, NOT the
friction surface. Follow the instructions included with the product.
Be aware that it's sticky, and most types must dry thoroughly before
the pads can be reinstalled. Just about any of these compounds will
usually damp the oscillations and silence the squeal. Short-term
reduction in squeal can sometimes be had by applying a very thin film
of high-temp grease to the back of the pad, but this is an inherently
hazardous method as it is possible for the grease to contaminate the
friction material too easily. I have also seen other anti-squeal
measures used, but I disdain the majority of them due to the fact that
a reasonably reliable and generally inexpensive solution is available
which is likely to be more effective.

Old June 15th 04, 10:01 PM
jim beam

both my avids & shimanos squealed bad until i discovered e.b.c. pads.
i've used them ever since and have had no problems whatsoever in all
kinds of conditions.

Old June 15th 04, 11:30 PM
Michael Press

jim beam wrote:
both my avids & shimanos squealed bad until i discovered e.b.c. pads.
i've used them ever since and have had no problems whatsoever in all
kinds of conditions.

Green or gold?

Thanks,
Michael
Old June 15th 04, 11:38 PM
Michael Press

may have said:

I suggest going to an auto parts store and getting some disc brake
anti-squeal compound; apply it to the back of the pads, NOT the
friction surface. Follow the instructions included with the product.

Wow, sounds perfect. I need some more loctite anyway, so i'll look
for the stuff at the auto parts store.

Thanks,
Michael

Old June 16th 04, 04:07 PM
Michael Press

"SDMike" wrote:

Have you tried cleaning off the rotors with Dawn and water? Sometimes when you
get oily fingerprints/etc. on the rotors is screws everything up.

Tried it last night. It stopped the squealing for the first 7 miles,
but then it returned... :-(

Michael
Old June 16th 04, 07:54 PM
John

Michael Press wrote:

I have Avid Ball Bearing Road disc brakes on my commuting (road) bike.
The pads have a little play in them - they'll rock about 1mm if you
push forward and back (along the axis of the bike, not in toward the
rotor) on the little pad mounting stems. (Avid tech support sent me
new pad mounting clips but it only reduced the pad movement slightly.)

Here's the problem - the front brakes squeal when the applied at any
pressure less than death-grip. Rear brake is fine. The brakes work
great, but the squealing is loud and VERY annoying.

Are the pads supposed to move that much? Is that likely the cause of
the squealing, or is this just the kind of disc brake squealing I've
read about on this NG? I recall suggestions about using mud on the
rotors to reduce squeal - any suggestions for that?

Thanks,
Michael

I'd love to get the EBC pads. Who might be a good source for them in the
U.S.?

Thanks,
John

Old June 17th 04, 05:26 AM
jim beam

Michael Press wrote:

[...]

your lbs should be able to get them for you. or online at places like
cambria bike.