Why America can have better bicycling than Europe

Old August 6th 10, 03:37 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Why America can have better bicycling than Europe

On Aug 3, 10:23 pm, Serge Issakov wrote:
I too must agree with Ken and Bob. The only time I ever came close
to a collision with a car in over 40 years of bicycling, was when I
was in a bike lane passing congested motor traffic that was on my
left. But that's before I learned the techniques and practices
espoused on this list, including never passing on the right someone
who can and might turn right. In my case that someone was a woman in
a mini van who suddenly decided to pull out of the jam and turn right
across the bike lane into a side street, right in front of 20 mph
(downhill) me. Miraculously, somehow my instincts caused me to
"instant turn" into the side street, before I ever heard of the term.

Serge

When an SUV roars past you... you wonder what the hell you are doing
on that road with such beasts. They look intimidating, they sound
intimidating, and are often driven by alpha male/female drivers.

Then the sales pitch of the stationary recumbent sounds appealing:

'Despite the competition from trendy new fitness inventions, exercise
bikes continue to be popular options for home exercise. They offer the
same aerobic benefits of riding a bicycle at any time, in any weather,
without leaving the comfort and safety of home. Exercise bikes don't
take up much space, require little or no balance or coordination, and
can provide an effective workout for all levels of users, from
beginners to serious competitors. While the same could be said for a
number of other types of home fitness equipment, the exercise bike is
one of the few that allows you to watch television or read a magazine
while you work out.'

Old August 6th 10, 04:25 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Aug 5, 7:53 pm, Kevan Smith wrote:

On 8/5/10 5:57 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the

Movement of Tantra-Hammock wrote:
This is about claiming our SPACE, not providing another anonymous
victim for the grinding machine.

Your SPACE is where your body is, and YOUR body isn't riding bike.

Listen, if Osama leads a holy war from a cave, I can lead an unholy
campaign from a hammock, comprende?