randonneur

Old May 25th 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default randonneur

On Fri, 25 May 2018 14:08:11 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:

A friend of mine has a Bianchi Volpe and likes it
very much. Disclaimer: She's not an expert cyclist.

Good! Because it is just a bike. Perhaps she is good
at something else instead.

On the Fuji bike, can one get a rack for the
front/front sides (2 or 3 bags), as well, and a pair
of them vertical/horizontal extentions (?) to the
brake levers so one can get to them (the brakes) from
other hand positions?

Tires only 32 tho. That's too thin IMO.

Ah but like any solution it is dependent on the problem that requires
solving. I remember one year that the province of Phuket, Thailand
received a whole bunch of money to improve their roads, That year one
could ride with 19mm "sew ups" with no problems at all, while only a
couple of years sooner or later you would have been cursing the roads
works department if you tried to run tires that hard.

I would comment that I habitially ran 19 mm tires for several years in
Indonesia by sticking to the "new roads" that had just been built.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 18, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/25/2018 10:47 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Sounds like he wants my bike. Surly Long Haul
Trucker. Front and rear racks and fenders.
Dynamo hub and lights. Cross levers so you can brake
while upright. Long wheelbase so your shoes don't
clip your panniers. CroMo frame. 36 spoke wheels.
Mountain gearing for long hills while carrying 50
lbs of baggage. 3 water bottle mounts on the frame.

That's exactly right! I want Ralph's bike!

http://www.bisikletgezgini.com/archives/7688

Old May 26th 18, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Ralph Barone writes:

Sounds like he wants my bike. Surly Long Haul
Trucker. Front and rear racks and fenders.
Dynamo hub and lights. Cross levers so you can brake
while upright. Long wheelbase so your shoes don't
clip your panniers. CroMo frame. 36 spoke wheels.
Mountain gearing for long hills while carrying 50
lbs of baggage. 3 water bottle mounts on the frame.

That's exactly right! I want Ralph's bike!

http://www.bisikletgezgini.com/archives/7688

Shockingly, the vaunted Koga signature World Traveler is made out of 6061 like my old Cannondale T1000. That was a great touring bike, although it wouldn't fit giant tires -- but I never wanted giant tires. That article draws interesting distinctions between true touring bikes and randonettes, which, according to Tim, should be the proper designation. Who knew that I needed a touring bike that could carry 45-50 kgs -- just in case I hit a deer and need to take it with me. I rode across the US with less than 45 pounds, and that included a complete set of tools that I would no longer need (cut-down headset wrenches, BB tools, etc.)

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 26th 18, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/25/2018 4:24 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
jbeattie writes:

Touring bikes are common as fleas. Even the Trek 520
fits the bill.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black
Up to 44C without mudguards. You would have to add
CX levers and a dyno light.

Great only too expensive, especially compared to the
Fuji and in particular the amount of money in
my wallet.

Why do they do randonneurs with 32 tires anyway?!

I'm betting most of us here run tires narrower than 32. I use 32s only
for loaded touring (which I haven't done for a while).

I'm not disputing that wider tires can be better. But I don't think the
buying public is ready for 32mm to be standard.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 18, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Ralph Barone writes:

Sounds like he wants my bike. Surly Long Haul
Trucker. Front and rear racks and fenders.
Dynamo hub and lights. Cross levers so you can brake
while upright. Long wheelbase so your shoes don't
clip your panniers. CroMo frame. 36 spoke wheels.
Mountain gearing for long hills while carrying 50
lbs of baggage. 3 water bottle mounts on the frame.

That's exactly right! I want Ralph's bike!

http://www.bisikletgezgini.com/archives/7688

All I can say in response is that I haven't broken mine yet.

Old May 26th 18, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Sounds like he wants my bike. Surly Long Haul
Trucker. Front and rear racks and fenders.
Dynamo hub and lights. Cross levers so you can brake
while upright. Long wheelbase so your shoes don't
clip your panniers. CroMo frame. 36 spoke wheels.
Mountain gearing for long hills while carrying 50
lbs of baggage. 3 water bottle mounts on the frame.

That's exactly right! I want Ralph's bike!

Just so you know, my bike isn't stock. The cross levers, dynamo hub,
fenders and racks are add-ons (but there were places to connect them to).
I also replaced the bar end shifters with STI levers.

Old May 26th 18, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Cross levers so you can brake while upright.

OK, so they are called cross levers. Very practical
indeed!

The "Fuji Touring Road Bike 2018" comes with
"Shimano T4010 linear pull" with
"Tektro RL520" braker levers.

Are there cross levers readily available for that (the
Tektros) or are you supposed to hack that
yourself somehow?

They are easily installed. Pull the brake cable out of the housing, cut the
housing at the right place, bolt the lever on the handlebar, and reinstall
the cable. Piece of cake.

Old May 26th 18, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Long wheelbase [...]

What is considered long in this case?

My road bike has it somewhere 41.5 inch, and my
military standard bike at 47 inches!

But 41-42" should do it, right?

1056 mm for my 56 cm frame with 26" wheels, so 41.5". I wouldn't mind it
being a bit longer, as my heels will clip my rear panniers if they've slid
around on the rack a bit.

Old May 26th 18, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Ralph Barone writes:

Sounds like he wants my bike. Surly Long Haul
Trucker. Front and rear racks and fenders.
Dynamo hub and lights. Cross levers so you can brake
while upright. Long wheelbase so your shoes don't
clip your panniers. CroMo frame. 36 spoke wheels.
Mountain gearing for long hills while carrying 50
lbs of baggage. 3 water bottle mounts on the frame.

That's exactly right! I want Ralph's bike!

http://www.bisikletgezgini.com/archives/7688

Shockingly, the vaunted Koga signature World Traveler is made out of
6061 like my old Cannondale T1000. That was a great touring bike,
although it wouldn't fit giant tires -- but I never wanted giant
tires. That article draws interesting distinctions between true
touring bikes and randonettes, which, according to Tim, should be the

Randonneuse. "Randonette" sounds like something Harvey Weinstein would
think up, a heteronormative ****lord sort of word.

Old May 26th 18, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski writes:

I'm not disputing that wider tires can be better.
But I don't think the buying public is ready for
32mm to be standard.

Not in the road bike world that is. Here anything
thinner than 40 is considered "thin" by the coaster
brake riding public. Altho they are unaware of the 32
and 40 designations, of course.

--
underground experts exiled