Anybody have a good source for reproduction decals?

Old August 20th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

Default Anybody have a good source for reproduction decals?

On Aug 19, 8:58 pm, !Jones wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 17:45:20 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
They would happily sell you the decals, they just came packaged with a
rather dear paint job!

Why paint a deer?

They do it for the doe.

Old August 20th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Hank Wirtz writes:

- cyclartwww.cyclart.com- DECALS AND TRANSFERS

has a very good selection of decals, many vintage, many done
in-house. Also offers sssink.com decals. Art that is done in-house
is only available to customers who are restoring bikes at the
Cyclart shop. I have heard it said that Cyclart always makes a
small mistake in each decal, thinking they are avoiding copyright
infringement.

I don't believe that last bit's true.

My knowledge comes from looking into the drawers of decals at the
Cyclart shop in Fallbrook, CA. My information is firsthand, but
perhaps you have zerohand information ?? :-) :-)

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old August 20th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Aug 19, 6:48 am, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Aug 19, 3:11 am, Hank Wirtz wrote:

On Aug 18, 10:06 pm, still me wrote:

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:43:27 -0000,
wrote:

I don't believe that last bit's true. I wrote them about retail sales
of repro decals, and they replied that they only will sell them in
conjunction with a respray, because they have agreements with
rightsholders to only apply the decals to the genuine frame as
appropriate.

A more common, and probably more accurate, explanation is that Cyclart
doesn't want you buying the decals from them and getting your frame
painted elsewhere for less than Cyclart's "king's ransom" prices. This
was especially effective in the past, before decals were more widely
available.- Hide quoted text -

I have a '72 Coppi frame with the original foil headtube sticker, but
CycleArt wanted me to ship it to them to
1. confirm it was real
2. "restore" the paint
3. apply the decals "correctly"

I think Ozark is probably right here.

I agree. If they told you that "rights" story they are FOS. They're
just trying to protect their market share and get you to go through
them.

I dug up the email:

"We have extensive decal and art files and have the decals you seek.
However:
We're sorry that we cannot sell you the decals you request because the
trademark is owned by others, not us. When we purchase decals from the
manufacturer, or reproduce them for a restoration, we guarantee that
they are applied to the correct frame and that the frame is
roadworthy. To do so we must have the frame here to inspect. In this
way we can assure manufacturers that we are neither causing them
increased liability nor allowing their trade name to be misused or
resold without their control. It is not necessary that we completely
refinish your frame to supply decals. We can replace tattered decals
on frames with original finishes or as part of a touch up. We also
feel that tight control of our reproduction decals helps preserve the
integrity of the collector bicycle market. Note that although painting
is our primary business we are also strong proponents of maintaining
valuable bikes in original finish including "patina".
Sometimes you can obtain replacement decals from the manufacturers
directly.
Thanks for understanding, may we estimate a touch up or complete
refinish for you?"

I agree that their goal is to drum up paint business, but they are
definitely invoking intellectual property rights in their explanation.

Yes, they have have a nice, long-winded "rationale", but it's just a
smokescreen, IMO.- Hide quoted text -

Maybe. I've got a 1975 Paramount frame. Definitely not period correct,
but I've always loved the older top-hat seat tube decal. I contacted
Waterford and got an email from Richard Schwinn himself. He wasn't
inclined to sell me the '40's/'50's logo for the '75 frame. At the
time I thought it was a bit snooty (especially as I wasn't trying to
pull the wool over anyone's eyes by implying that the frame was older,
especially considering the fact that I'm no 'purist' as the bike is
rather dinged up and its parts include Sugino, Shimano, Time, etc),
but over time it has made me respect the bikes more. Maybe it's
elitism, or maybe it's Richard's simple integrity to the brand and
product.

Not sure if CyclArt maintains the same integrity, but I'm pretty sure
that they'd get an earfull from some company owners if they threw some
stickers on what the originator considered the wrong bike. Or,
especially, if they started flooding ebay with them for $.99,
instantly transforming every 80's Huffy boat anchor into a Masi.

/s

Old August 20th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

wrote:
They would happily sell you the decals, they just came packaged with a
rather dear paint job!

Why paint a deer?

They do it for the doe.

.... big bucks...

SOMEBODY STOP ME, PLEASE!!!

Old March 14th 13, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:06:35 PM UTC-4, !Jones wrote:
The subject says it all.

yea sure

http://decaldomain.com/
Old March 16th 13, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ĄJones

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:02:40 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
wrote:

On Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:06:35 PM UTC-4, !Jones wrote:
The subject says it all.

yea sure

http://decaldomain.com/

From 2007????

Man, that's six years old!

Yeah, I have been doing some work on old Gary Littlejohn repops... or,
I was back then, anyway. I still have the digital artwork.

But *that* posting is so stale that I can't even pull it up from my
server. If you're gonna take one from six years ago, post the whole
thing because I've slept since then.

Jones

Old March 17th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

awww take deep breath n say **** **** **** thenpaint overum with Rusto.

THE HELL WITH IT

mission accomplished
Old March 17th 13, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:

On Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:06:35 PM UTC-4, !Jones wrote:
The subject says it all.

yea sure

http://decaldomain.com/

From 2007????

Man, that's six years old!

Yeah, I have been doing some work on old Gary Littlejohn repops... or,
I was back then, anyway. I still have the digital artwork.

But *that* posting is so stale that I can't even pull it up from my
server. If you're gonna take one from six years ago, post the whole
thing because I've slept since then.

Jones

does this help (OP?)

http://www.velocals.com/servlet/StoreFront

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 17th 13, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ĄJones

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:24:03 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech Nate Nagel
wrote:

does this help (OP?)

http://www.velocals.com/servlet/StoreFront

Oh, I had the decals made in 2007. It's just odd seeing a reply to
one of my postings from six years ago.

If the administrator sets the date in the server wrong, it can barf up
a bunch of old postings. That's probably what happened... users one
hop away might see them; however, they shouldn't propagate beyond
that.

Jones

Old March 17th 13, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:06:35 PM UTC-4, !Jones wrote:
The subject says it all.

VVVVVVVVV

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...iw=960&bih=529